Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Toplef10Favorite Tomato - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 I22gcj10Favorite Tomato - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Toplef10Favorite Tomato - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 I22gcj10Favorite Tomato - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Favorite Tomato

+13
RoOsTeR
northern.light.58
Turan
GWN
quiltbea
pryz123
jmsieglaff
bwaynef
camprn
Nonna.PapaVino
cheyannarach
Pollinator
deriter
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Empty Re: Favorite Tomato

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/9/2013, 3:46 pm

You may discover flavor has something to do with your own garden. For instance, Mel's mix has all of the nutrients for a great tomato, but it's just one part, the others being: adequate water, good light and warm temperatures (having originated in the tropics). If your present choices taste wonderful to you, why change? Or perhaps just add one new heirloom variety and compare. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/9/2013, 4:07 pm

Hey nonna, I am open to learn from you folks as I never gave much thought to why I plant what I do. I just liked the large tomatoes for slicing. Big boys are a large slicing type. The yellow ones for the lower acid content when I have eaten too many reds. I do know some years the toms are bitter and disappointing sometimes due to just the season. But it is easy to see that some of you have taken tomatoes very seriously and have made efforts to find the very best. This is what I am trying to gather from anyone willing to share.

The ones we usually find at Walmart, HyVee, and etc, are usually the hybrids. So if the heirlooms taste better, well, like they say there is always room for improvement. I want the very best that will grow in my Iowa region. I understand that not all the ones list here so far will perform well in Iowa, but there may be some that will.
Thanks to all have shared so far and hope some more will share their best tomato with us.
deriter
deriter

Male Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/9/2013, 4:21 pm

Deriter
I am not sure where you are, but in this area I am told that the heirloom sell for almost twice what the hybrids sell for at the farmers markets. My SIL told me that they were 6 dollars a pound at her market, at least early in the year.
So that says something.... about flavour.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/9/2013, 4:29 pm

Ok, now that is what I am talking about. If they can get almost double price for heirlooms, then there must be a difference that I should be looking for. I am in southern Iowa in zone 5 b. So I don't know how to sort out all these different toms for best regional performance. May just have to a trial and error test on each until I find the ones that work here!
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/9/2013, 4:38 pm

I was surprised last summer to find some heirloom plants, Brandywine being one, at Costco of all places! Never know when you'll find just the right thing. And, for fine tomatoes, deriter, my understanding is Iowa is prime tomato growing real estate. Okay, so I'm a bit envious. Nonna, who is trying to bring in firewood between rain storms.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/9/2013, 4:40 pm

Nonna, we would welcome some of that rain. Its almost but forgot how to do that around here.
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/9/2013, 5:27 pm

You know Deriter, the gardening zone has less to do with how tomatoes grow, than how hot it gets in the summer.
I used to live on coastal oregon, i am sure we were zone 9, but I could never grow tomatoes except in a green house because the summers never got warm. Now I am living at zone 5a and it gets very cold in the winter (down to -10 F) at least...... however it gets quite hot in the summer here, and so they seem to grow wonderfully here. They just need a bit of a head start indoors.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/9/2013, 5:49 pm

I think last year it just got too hot and the rain was almost nonexistent. The other thing I did was started my toms way early. This year I am going to follow the book a little closer on the toms.
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Empty favorite tomato

Post  pryz123 1/10/2013, 11:59 am

Hi Deriter, I live in northwest Illinois and usually have no problem growing tomatoes. I grow only heirloom tomatoes, actually all the veggies I grow are heirlooms. Have you checked out Bakers creek, or Seedsavers exchange? oh, and Tomatofest has hundreds of heirloom and open polinated varieties of tomatoes. they all have great selection. Baker creek has reviews one there website.

I grow heirlooms not only for there flavor but also to protect them from being lost to the new hybrids and FrankenFoods( the gene spliced and diced by monsanto and then patented by them also known as GMO or genetically modified organism. its my way of trying to slow down big agra-business.

I have found that missouri pink love apple, mariannas peace, paul robeson, black cherry, carbon, and brandywines have always done good here. maybe that would give you a good starting point. but really there is a lot of personal preference. some people like real sweet tomatoes and some like the more tart old time tomato tastes. good luck picking your heirlooms. Smile

Nonna,
I don't mean to correct you but just read about this from
Dr. Carolyn Male. "Actually Tomatoes are not tropical. They are from the highlands of Chile and Peru, mainly, where the temperatures are temperate, not steamy." ~ Carolyn Male

pryz123
pryz123

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/10/2013, 1:07 pm

Pryz, My misconception, sorry 'bout that. I do wonder what C. Male means by "highlands." How high? How cool? How wet? How long ago? We've found some varieties do well in this cool, wet, part of Oregon (about 800' elevation). Others turn toes up. For instance: Dagma's Perfection is huge with excellent flavor. Brandywine struggles and, even ripe, has a somewhat astringent flavor. From the raves posted by others on this forum, I'd guess Brandywine just doesn't like Saint Helens. Laughing Thanks for your information. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/10/2013, 3:36 pm

I agree with you pryz123 on the gmo stuff. Just another thought, do you battle with more diseases with the heirlooms than the hybrids? I had not thought about the issues between the two before. I guess if it not be much more of a problem then I am all for staying away from the gmo lines.
Last year I bought seeds from My Patriot Supply who seemed to to a very good job with my order.
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 1/10/2013, 4:33 pm

deriter wrote:Just another thought, do you battle with more diseases with the heirlooms than the hybrids? I had not thought about the issues between the two before. I guess if it not be much more of a problem then I am all for staying away from the gmo lines.

To be clear, Hybrids aren't the same as GMO. Hybrids aren't the enemy, they just don't produce seed that will (necessarily) grow the same plant that you expect.

Also, when you're GROWING your own food, you'd have to go out of your way to purchase seeds/seedlings that are GMO.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 1/10/2013, 4:47 pm

bwaynef wrote:
To be clear, Hybrids aren't the same as GMO. Hybrids aren't the enemy, they just don't produce seed that will (necessarily) grow the same plant that you expect..

That's a very good point. Every heirloom was a hybrid at some point way long ago (cross of two different tomatoes). In fact, it might be fun to try to create my own tomato crosses (aka hybrid) and who knows if over the years I find a good one, it's the next heirloom.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Empty favorite tomato

Post  pryz123 1/10/2013, 4:58 pm

Nonna, I didn't know about the tomatoes not being tropical until recently either just thought I would post it scince it seems to be thought of that way. and yes the siberian tomatoes do better in the cool climates.

Deriter, I have been growing heirlooms for about 8 or 9 years now. I think I had one season that I had lost a couple of tomato plants due to disease. I didn't think it was that big of a deal because that rest of the tomato plants did just fine. some heirlooms show some disease resistance too. I guess you just have to research which ones. Like I say tomatofest has tons of info on there website and good discriptions of ther varieties too. I find it interesting to go threw them and pick out what I want to try.

bwaynef~ I know that hybrids are not GMOs. I was meaning that I try to grow and produce most of the food that we eat. I do this because most of the food in the grocery store is from GMOs. I also feel that by buying from and helping the heirloom movement that the big ag business gets less money in there pocket. Also, the more people that are aware of what goes on maybe things will begin to change.
pryz123
pryz123

Back to top Go down

Post  pryz123 1/10/2013, 6:07 pm

[quote= For instance: Dagma's Perfection is huge with excellent flavor. Brandywine struggles and, even ripe, has a somewhat astringent flavor. From the raves posted by others on this forum, I'd guess Brandywine just doesn't like Saint Helens. Nonna[/quote]

Nonna, Isn't funny how they can be that way. You would think that the production would change but not the taste. I would not have guessed that Brandywine would be like that. but then again, I have heard that in the south they love cherokee purple, but in the north its usually does not do as good.

I'm not sure exactly what the highlands climate is like either but you could research Carolyn Male and see if you could fine what she has to say? she is on the I dig my garden forum, and I think she usually answers questions too. She wont tell you what her favorites are thought. LOL
pryz123
pryz123

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/10/2013, 6:11 pm

So at what point does a hybrid become able to produce the same fruit that it was? Let me try to say that another way, when can you save seeds and expect to get the same fruit as the parent?
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/10/2013, 6:44 pm

deriter wrote:So at what point does a hybrid become able to produce the same fruit that it was? Let me try to say that another way, when can you save seeds and expect to get the same fruit as the parent?
Not usually with a hybrid. Also the seed is hybridized usually to combat or resist some type of disease. If you plant the seed and it reverts it may nor longer have that resistance.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Empty Favorite tomato

Post  pryz123 1/10/2013, 7:53 pm

Hi Deriter,
Usually the tomato has to be open pollinated. then as long as there has not been any cross polination then it should be true to type. I have had pretty good luck. I do bag blossom and pick the best fruit to save seeds from. This is another reason that I love heirlooms. Very Happy It is actually really fun and gives you a good feeling that you can save your own seed.

pryz123
pryz123

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 1/10/2013, 9:29 pm

deriter wrote:So at what point does a hybrid become able to produce the same fruit that it was? Let me try to say that another way, when can you save seeds and expect to get the same fruit as the parent?

With tomatoes, its usually the 8th generation of tomatoes before its generally accepted to be stable. Stability can happen sooner with a little luck and good selection.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/10/2013, 9:47 pm

Thanks Bwayne! okay

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  northern.light.58 2/24/2013, 9:58 am

I know this is an old topic but I just had to list my favorite, mortgage lifter. Huge, craggy, heirloom, and fantastic taste. And if you want a cherry, try ladybug. Tiny, prolific, and tomatoey tart, not sweet. I like my tomatoes tart. The ladybug is an heirloom I got a few year ago through a seed saver group, so you will have to search online.
northern.light.58
northern.light.58

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/24/2013, 11:39 am

northern.light.58 wrote:I know this is an old topic but I just had to list my favorite, mortgage lifter. Huge, craggy, heirloom, and fantastic taste. And if you want a cherry, try ladybug. Tiny, prolific, and tomatoey tart, not sweet. I like my tomatoes tart. The ladybug is an heirloom I got a few year ago through a seed saver group, so you will have to search online.

I may have to search that one out. I'm still looking for a cherry tomato for this year Favorite Tomato - Page 2 3170584802

Edit:
Found a hybrid at Park Seed
http://parkseed.com/tomato-ladybug-hybrid/p/05413-PK-P1/

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/24/2013, 11:52 am

I like Sungold for yummy cherry. And Super Sonic for flavor. I think they may both be hybrid but I saved seeds anyway and they are growing great right now indoors - both 100% germination. We'll see what happens.

Rooster, I have a few Sungold left if you want to try them. PM me your address (I owe you some collard seeds, too).

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/24/2013, 12:52 pm

we loved these cherry tomatoes!!....our six year old grew them in his self watering container in MM.....it was a huge plant with Lots of fruit!

Favorite Tomato - Page 2 Tmto_sw
http://www.humeseeds.com/tmtosw.htm

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/24/2013, 1:13 pm

This year went big on exploring 9 varieties I never grew before. Got reds, orange, white, and striped varieties. Driving me nuts as I can't wait to get started.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next