Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Toplef10Finally...What to do with all those radishes! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! I22gcj10Finally...What to do with all those radishes! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Toplef10Finally...What to do with all those radishes! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! I22gcj10Finally...What to do with all those radishes! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Finally...What to do with all those radishes!

+11
Zephyros
sceleste54
schafferde
Chopper
Megan
NadineManset
Momma Pajama
LaFee
ander217
titans01
robbinscabin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty Finally...What to do with all those radishes!

Post  robbinscabin 4/9/2010, 7:07 am

I love planting radishes in the SFG. One square will produce a ton of radishes in just a few weeks. The kids love the quick turnaround and after it's harvested I can reuse the square for a second planting of lettuce...we love our fresh salads! Last year, everything worked great except... a day or two after radish harvest I realized that there was no way we could eat all those radishes so I did some internet research and found a recipe that looked interesting. Hubby thought I was a quack, my mom said if it was any good it'd be much more well known but I couldn't let all my "hard" work go to waste (what hard work, I plopped the seeds in and watered! LOL). So I had a go at my first canning project. And Hubby and Mom loved the outcome! Ha!

So, I wanted to share the miracle recipe with all you SFG'ers (if you don't already have it).

Rosy Radish Relish

3 cups stemmed radishes
2 large ribs celery
1 large red onion
2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 tbls mustard seed
2 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 cup vinegar
2 tbls prepared horseradish

Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of a grinder, or chop them finely. Mix with remaining ingredients and allow to stand three hours. Bring mixture to a boil in a large pan and cook for ten minutes. Pour into hot jars, leaving half-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 1/2 pints and pints in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
robbinscabin
robbinscabin

Female Posts : 51

http://robbinscabin.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty Re: Finally...What to do with all those radishes!

Post  titans01 4/9/2010, 10:07 am

I will have to try this if I end up with any extra radishes. Thanks.
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty Re: What to do with all those radishes?

Post  ander217 4/10/2010, 6:59 am

Thanks for an interesting recipe. I'm intrigued and I'll have to try it. What do you serve the relish with?

Radish sandwiches are one of our favorite ways to serve radishes. Scrub the radishes well, - leave the tops and roots on, - and plunge them into a bowl of salt. Let them set until the moisture starts to draw out of them and the salt becomes damp.

Wipe the excess salt from the radishes, remove the tops and roots, and cut in thick slices. Serve on bread which has been spread with softened herbed butter. (I mix chopped parsley, dill, and chives into my butter, but you can use any herbs you like.)

The first time I made this my DH thought I was crazy, but he quickly became a fan. It makes a good afternoon snack.

For tea sandwiches, cut each slice of bread in fourths and place one radish slice between two slices of bread.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty Re: Finally...What to do with all those radishes!

Post  robbinscabin 4/10/2010, 7:09 am

I'll have to try that! We love relishes on our summertime hot dogs or sausages. Personally, I prefer a nice relish over onions and peppers on a sausage. We have a large family (with a little bit of a competitive nature) so when we host big barbecues it's all about who brings the most interesting dish, relish, etc.

Last edited by robbinscabin on 4/10/2010, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
robbinscabin
robbinscabin

Female Posts : 51

http://robbinscabin.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/10/2010, 12:37 pm

Ander, are you sure you're not French? Sliced radishes on a piece of bread with some fresh butter is a favourite appetizer in France.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty What to do with all those radishes

Post  ander217 4/10/2010, 6:52 pm

Nope, just German, English, Irish, and Scots, with a little Native American thrown in for good measure, but one of our daughters lived in Cannes for a summer.

She brought home several good, simple recipes that used fresh ingredients. When I first heard about salted radishes on buttered bread I cringed. I couldn't believe how good they tasted.

Our other daughter did a semester in Australia and all she brought home was Vegemite. (Shudder, shudder.)
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty Re: What to do with all those radishes

Post  Momma Pajama 4/10/2010, 9:42 pm

Anyone have a suggestion of a good variety of radish to try? I think I'd like a milder one than I had last year.
Momma Pajama
Momma Pajama

Female Posts : 58

http://momma-pajama.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/11/2010, 1:38 am

Try a French breakfast type radish, Momma -- they're oblong and fade to white at the root end. They have good flavor, but aren't as hot as the round red ones.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty Re: Radish variety

Post  ander217 4/11/2010, 8:43 am

I like German Giant (Parat) radishes. They grow huge without getting too hot or pithy.

I think hotness can also vary due to growing conditions.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  NadineManset 4/11/2010, 3:02 pm

Aloha from Hawaii!

Did you know you can make soup with the radish leaves? Now you have to find a way to eat the whole plant Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Icon_biggrin

I make soup by sauteing the leaves in olive oil and garlic, adding a potato cut in small chunks, and cooking in broth until the potato chunks are soft. Then puree the whole thing. Delicious! Young radish leaves give a little twang to this soup, it's very pleasant. But don't use leaves from overgrown radishes, they get a bit too tough and stringy, and lose that little bite of the younger leaves.

I actually grown radishes for their leaves, as I don't like the root itself!

Enjoy!

Nadine
NadineManset

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Finally...What to do with all those radishes! Empty Radish soup

Post  ander217 4/12/2010, 9:45 am

Aloha, Nadine,

I've used young radish leaves in salads, but never thought about making soup with them. Thanks for the idea!

(In winter I also occasionally grow radish sprouts for salads while dreaming of spring.)

Ander
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/16/2010, 7:24 pm

How on earth did I miss this thread? WOW!

First of all, now I have to try that canning recipe!

Ander, why do you salt them first? I mean, I understand that it draws water out of the radishes, but how is that important to the sandwich?

I've never made soup with radishes, but with some of mine from this spring, I sauteed both the tuber and the greens with some garlic and butter and cracked red pepper. Really good.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/16/2010, 7:39 pm

Because of an overabundance of radishes I tried them in EVERYTHING and they do well. When cooked they are much more mellow and a little sweet. I added them to anything that took veggies from omelets to stews to soups to, well, everything.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schafferde 10/16/2010, 10:08 pm

I am 64 and remember eating radish sandwiches as a child. White bread, butter, and thinly sliced radishes with salt on them. Yum....however, my radishes just don't do well. They tend to get stringy and top heavy. What am I doing wrong? I have tried planting them a little deeper, but they just topple over while they are still young. And my crop right now is all chewed up with something. I can't see any bugs, but there is something happily eating away.
schafferde

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 10/16/2010, 11:15 pm

happy hi Where are you schafferde? I'm in the Panhandle of Florida and just planted my first round of radishes 1st week of October. This will be my first attempt at growing them...I just recently found that I liked radishes in a marinated version..
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 10/17/2010, 3:15 am

Schafferde -- it's a *very* common thing here in France to slice radishes thinly and serve them on a fresh baguette with lots of butter. It *is* good!
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 10/17/2010, 8:32 am

schafferde wrote:I am 64 and remember eating radish sandwiches as a child. White bread, butter, and thinly sliced radishes with salt on them. Yum....however, my radishes just don't do well. They tend to get stringy and top heavy. What am I doing wrong? I have tried planting them a little deeper, but they just topple over while they are still young. And my crop right now is all chewed up with something. I can't see any bugs, but there is something happily eating away.

Schafferde, when are you planting your radishes? They need cool weather to mature. I plant several succession plantings as early in spring as possible, then when summer heat hits, they stop making "bulbs" and the ones still growing get stringy and quickly inedible. I plant again in fall for late crops.

They keep a long time in the 'fridge so when summer heat comes I pick all of the radishes, cut off the tops and roots and store them in the crisper to extend the season.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/17/2010, 8:39 am

Zip Code is Southern California. Probably too warm right now.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 10/17/2010, 8:40 am

[quote="Megan"]Ander, why do you salt them first? I mean, I understand that it draws water out of the radishes, but how is that important to the sandwich?[quote]

I don't always salt them first if I have good quality radishes to begin with. I learned that technique from an Ina Garten cookbook. The salting helps to draw out any excess heat with the moisture, and it seems to improve the texture if the radish is starting to get pithy. I usually pre-salt Cherry Belle radishes in the spring, but my German Giant radishes this fall don't need anything extra done to them. They are SO good on sandwiches just as they are.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 10/17/2010, 9:04 am

or butter with little crystals of sea salt in it. Yum.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  schafferde 10/17/2010, 4:10 pm

Thanks for the responses. I do live here in southern California, and it has been very hot this summer. I planted another crop last month because we had some cool days, but then we had a heat wave again. We had 82 then 3 days later 110 then about 8 days later (after a week of hot), 78. It was 84 4 days ago, and now I will be surprised if today gets up to 70. It is making me crazy. The peas and beans don't know who is supposed to do what when.

I will put some more radishes in this week and perhaps the weather will stabilize a little.

Dee
schafferde

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/17/2010, 4:22 pm

Good luck, Dee. I am going to put in a few seeds and see if it's not too late to try around here. (And hopefully sneak in under my HOA's radar, too!) Maybe we can compare notes in a few weeks! Smile
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  schafferde 10/17/2010, 4:53 pm

Your HOA won't let you have a garden? That is really unacceptable.
schafferde

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/17/2010, 7:22 pm

schafferde wrote:Your HOA won't let you have a garden? That is really unacceptable.

Well, granted, I went a bit over the top....
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros 1/11/2011, 9:21 am

Hey, I was reading a book just the other day (How to store your garden produce from Piers Warren) and he states that you can also store radish by putting them in a box with layers of sand between the radish, and then put them in cool place where they don't get frozen. This way you can keep them well for several month apparently. I am not entirely sure if you could do this with every type of radish. If I understand it properly you can do this better with the bigger winter types.
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next