Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ONIONS - Onions Toplef10ONIONS - Onions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ONIONS - Onions I22gcj10ONIONS - Onions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ONIONS - Onions Toplef10ONIONS - Onions 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ONIONS - Onions I22gcj10ONIONS - Onions 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Onions

+13
rowena___.
Missed-Em
TN_GARDENER
marietta mike
FamilyGardening
littlesapphire
CharlesB
jillintx
Bud Alexis
camprn
plantoid
AvaDGardner
enok
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ONIONS - Onions Empty onions

Post  enok 4/3/2012, 10:30 pm

I planted onion setback in Feb.. Was told they would grouw well here in MS. So far all I've got is green stalks. Why won't the onions bulb? They were planted as directed, 1 inch deep as sets.

What could the problem be? I always had good luck in ME. but not here in MS..
enok

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - Onions Empty Re: Onions

Post  AvaDGardner 4/3/2012, 11:30 pm

I'm following.

And having the same problem. I put in a bulb onion starter plants, and now it looks like it's 4 plants per spot. No way there's enough room for a bulb to form.

I guess I'll have to uproot some to see what they've done.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/4/2012, 6:10 am

Enok , when you plant onion sets the bulb furnishes the new plant with all its food ,the bulb infact shrinks away leaving a well formed baby onion plant growing .. what you have is normal & correct..

It takes several months for the new plants to grow into big bulb onions.

For example....

Here in the UK the sets I planted last winter in mid NOVEMBER have an estimated growth period of six months before they will end up weighing about 1 1/2 pounds each and have golden yellow skins .. then the tops will fall over to one side then go to dried tops , a few days later I'll lift them then lay them on some wire screens for a wekn or so to get a full ripening ready for storing them as hanging down plaited strings of onions.

Onion seed sown in mid February this year this year will produce similar sized onions in about seven months if the weather is good.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/4/2012, 6:24 am

Onions take a while and there are two types, short day and long day onions. The length of daylight hours is what triggers the bulb formation. Onions can take 3-4 months to reach maturity for harvest.
http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetables/a/Growing_Onions.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

ONIONS - Onions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/4/2012, 6:39 am

That's a nice and handy site Camp , it also translates well into what we have this side of the pond .

Though I didn't clock any heat treated sets that help prevent the onion from bolting ... most of the heat treated over wintering onions we have are refered to as japanes onions do you have such things on your side ?
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - Onions Empty Onions

Post  Bud Alexis 5/9/2012, 10:23 am

I planted onions that grew huge and tall beautiful tops but the bulbs were almost non existant. What happened?
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx 5/9/2012, 10:46 am

I have the same situation. The tops had fallen over and were dying back, so I thought that was the signal to harvest. But the onions are not very big - cherry to lime sized. They were planted mid January. Does anyone have any ideas on what went wrong or how to prevent this?
jillintx
jillintx

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Bud Alexis 5/9/2012, 11:28 am

ONIONS - Onions 100_2814

You can see that the tops are at least over two feet. Also since the bulbs did not grow and since the plants are starting to make seeds, is it possible to cut up and use the whole thing for seasoning? Hate to waste any of it. I am going to pull all these and replant.

Last edited by Bud Alexis on 5/9/2012, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pic, and comments)
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/9/2012, 12:13 pm

Possibly the mix was rich in nitorgen.
Did you plant the biggest or the smallest onion sets you could find?
Did you use 5 types of compost when you made your Mel's Mix?
I usually add a little bit of bonemeal when I am growing root crop.

Or you can chalk it up to the weather. Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

ONIONS - Onions WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - Onions Empty N

Post  CharlesB 5/9/2012, 12:14 pm

Too much N not enough P.

Also cut the tops back to a few inches long before you plant the sets. The bulb forms bigger when having to push up new growth for the tops.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  Bud Alexis 5/9/2012, 1:07 pm

Still want to know if the whold thing can be cut for seasoning?
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx 5/9/2012, 1:14 pm

Bud - You'd asked about using your onions. I've read that you can use all of an onion at any point in it's growth cycle, so they should be good to use for seasoning.

camprn and Charles - In thinking back to when I set this bed up last year...I realize that it was my first garden bed and I wasn't too particular about compost ratios at that time (I used mostly horse manure compost). And I didn't do much to it before planting the onions. So too much N is very likely the culprit for me. Thanks for the info!
jillintx
jillintx

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/9/2012, 5:03 pm

Bud, when did you initially plant your onions? Were the tops falling over when you pulled them up? You and I are in totally different areas, so I have no idea what your growing season is! (For instance, I just planted my onions about a month ago.)
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/9/2012, 5:17 pm

Bud Alexis wrote:I planted onions that grew huge and tall beautiful tops but the bulbs were almost non existant. What happened?

Bud how long have you had the sets in the ground . mel offfers that 14 or so weeks shouild see you get onions but I'm not sure if he means decent 3 in ch bulbs or mini gold ball sized ones .

Here in\the UK we are guided by sow sets in Feb and you should get decent sized onions mid July if the weather is kind ( warm , sunny and then hot ) If it is a cold wet year the onions will produce lots of tops and little else . Over wintering onion sets sown November ish will give good sized onion around mid June .... my winter sown sets look just like the ones in your picture .

The nitrogen aspect has already been mentioned did you top or side dress the onions?

My book indicates to manure the ground in November and plant the sets in February and not to add any new stuff for onions prefer old " settled " compost/manured ground .

Last edited by plantoid on 5/9/2012, 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/9/2012, 5:26 pm

Bud Alexis wrote:Still want to know if the whold thing can be cut for seasoning?
use in stir fries . as part of the veg in crispy duck in pancake rolls with hoisin sauce , cucumber & leek or onion fine shredded length ways in two inch lengths .

Use them in mashed up boiled egg ( like sacllions or cress ) with mayo and salad cream as asandwich filling .. chop the green stems in 1/8to 1/3 inch wide rings

Chuck the whole onion chopped up in the frying pan with olive oil, fry till soft then add them to a stew or minced meat .

Eat the thinnest ones as part of a green salad . plain or drizzled with a french dressing etc.or a few streaks of sweetened thick balsamic vinegar .

You can also have them oven braized in gravy or nuked till softish then finished off in a white or cheese sauce that's been slipped under a hot grill too slightly brown them up.... like baby leeks
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - Onions Empty green onion & chive question

Post  FamilyGardening 5/10/2012, 1:37 am

hi Very Happy

we planted some organic green onions that went bad in the frig...they have grown great!!.....i just said the other day to my children and hubby that we needed to cut the tops off and use them in our dinner.....well....went out today and they have shot up some flowers Shocked well not yet a flower but a flower pod..... not sure how long the flowers have been up...but..i didnt notice it a couple of days ago....so...my question is....can we still just cut the tops off and eat them and leave the bottoms to continue to grow?.....will they taste any differnt because they have bolted like other plants do?.....can we let some continue to flower and save seeds since it was an organic green onion?

same with the chives.....they came back from last year....but they have already sent up flowers too....Shocked

thanks

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  marietta mike 5/10/2012, 3:52 am

I as well thought i had done something wrong. I double checked the plant to harvest info on the package. Yep i had read it before i bought it, Onion's take a great deal of time to get to harvest point. I have fine green shoots all over the place showing my green onions. They seemed to have come up over night then put there feet up and nothing. Still green though. My bulb onions have shown themselves as of yet, but i am not looking for a harvest until fall.

Good luck !

Marietta mike
marietta mike
marietta mike

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 5/10/2012, 9:56 am

I'm not terribly good with onions, either. However, I'm told you are supposed to plant according to where you live.

ONIONS - Onions Map_lr10
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - Onions Empty Cajun Cookin

Post  Bud Alexis 5/10/2012, 11:44 am

If you noticed that I am from Louisiana. i was raised on cajun cooking, so if you know anything about our cooking, you know that as a part of our cooking basics we always use green onions as part of our seasoning. We mostly saute our seasoning, and either add it to the main ingredient or add the ingredient to the sauted seasoning. Along with the green onion we will also add a regular bulbed onion together for seasoning. Since my onions are starting to seed, and are not making bulbs, I was wondering if the tops could also be used as seasoning. Never have tried the stems on a bulbed onion. I would hate to waste good seasoning.

Sadly,THIS part of my garden has not yet been Mel Mixedized. I am working on that part as I can get to it. I did manage to get some compost and manure mix with regular dirt, best I could do for now. The ph is right, tho. The parts of my garden with MM is growing fantasticly. I planted the onions in March. We have had an unseasonably warm winter this time. My potato plants that I planted in early March are making potatoes,(Youcan Gold) about the size of softballs. The plants are still green and growing, some three feet tall. We are digging a few anyway and eating them.

I am going to dig up all the onions and try replanting. I hope the weather does not hinder. It can get really hot here with a lot of humidity. We have already had temps in the 90s. I really appreciate all your comments, which are very helpful, and useful. Thanks. Keep them coming and I will keep reading.
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/10/2012, 12:55 pm

Hey Bud, do you still have the package from the onion seed? By looking at your photo it looks like they may be 'bunching onions' which do not bulb out hugely. ALso, you may have actually picked them a month early if they are a bunching onion.
http://myfolia.com/plants/1152-bunching-onion-allium-fistulosum/varieties/18304-red-blush

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Bud Alexis 5/10/2012, 11:22 pm

Normally I buy my onions from a farm supply. For some odd reason I was in a supermarket when I noticed these red button onions and also there were yellow ones so I bought them and planted them and voila. You see the result. Wont do that again. I will cut them up and use them for seasoning and if I can still find plantable onions at the feed store I will replant and hope for the best.
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/11/2012, 12:15 am

Not sure why my thread was merged with this one :scratch: ……I was wondering if you can still eat green onions after they flower? (same question with chives) Shocked

Can we cut the flower off and let it continue to grow?...does it change the taste like when other plants bolt?

Thanks……don’t want to hijack this thread….but since it was moved over thought I would ask again What a Face

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/11/2012, 6:54 am

If the onion plant is putting out flowering parts it means that the plant is reaching the end of the life cycle. Cutting off the flower stem will only slow the process down. Harvest the onions that are flowering for best results.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8166442_happens-onion-blooms.html

Chives will be fine, you can use the flowers in salads or as a garnish in other dishes.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Missed-Em 5/13/2012, 9:11 am

Green onions are always one of the joys of sring. Pull when the size of a pencile, wash, salt the bulb and eat - use the green as a topping to a salad or add to stir fry, course it can always go into the compost bin, but I'd eat it.
Missed-Em
Missed-Em

Male Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/20/2012, 5:51 pm

we have harvested some of the replanted onions and they are sooo yummy!

here is a pic of one of the green onions that has gone bad in the refrig....sitting next to the harvested replanted one......wow....i think its safe to say that yes you can cut off the bad part of a green onion and replant it and it will grow Shocked
ONIONS - Onions Dscf0636

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next