Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project Toplef10Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project I22gcj10Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project Toplef10Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project I22gcj10Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:09 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 5/11/2024, 5:24 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project

+3
camprn
Chopper
sfg4uKim
7 posters

Go down

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project Empty Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project

Post  sfg4uKim 5/5/2012, 4:47 pm

I need to vent a bit. I am EXTREMELY hurt and disappointed with the Elementary School project I told y'all about this winter. It's not the SCHOOL'S fault, but some of the county agencies.

Several times I requested info on the project.

On March 21 I asked what part of the 232 square project they wanted to be SFG. I was told via email: We were thinking of possibly doing them all square foot this year. Very Happy

When I received that email I scrambled to get with my vendors and
the Foundation for donations. My vermiculite supplier GAVE me 58 cf (I
covered the cost of the freight). I received a good discount from my
compost guy and even the Foundation was chipping in. Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 311672

On April 17 I asked for another update on the project and was told: I believe we are still doing a portion as square foot garden Rolling Eyes (OK, whatever)

This morning I AGAIN asked for a status and was told: We
ended up going with materials that were donated to build and fill the
beds. The Southern High School FFA group will be helping the students
plant next week, they are donating plants they grew in their greenhouse.
Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 671790
So what part of FREE didn't they understand? Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 926169

I think what disappoints me the most is that I wanted to PHYSICALLY help with the project and I wasn't even given the chance to do THAT. I also have to go back to my vendors and explain that I'll use the stuff they gave me for the homeless shelter project instead and hope that's OK with them. Embarassed

They have offered to let me "talk to the kids about gardening". I won't be petty just because the adults crapped on me but I've learned a very valuable lesson.

If you have the opportunity, please use J.P. AUSTIN for your vermiculite. They are located in western PA but distribute to other locations. You can email them to see if they send their vermiculite to your area. If they don't seem to know what you're talking about, tell them to forward the email to Jerry (the CEO).

Also if you are near Media, PA; Aberdeen, Annapolis or Columbia, MD; or Arlington, VA please consider getting compost, vermicompost, worms, worm bins, compost tea and rain barrels from VETERAN COMPOST.

These guys went above & beyond to help me with the project.

Thanks,
Kim Sad

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project Empty Re: Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project

Post  Chopper 5/5/2012, 5:35 pm

Ouch. I am amazed at the lack of detail many people put into their jobs. No one even called you and asked for specifics? Well, their loss is the homeless shelter's gain. I think maybe, though it doesn't seem like it now, this was a serendipity. I know. It stinks.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project Empty Re: Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project

Post  camprn 5/5/2012, 7:27 pm

Maybe a meeting with the County agency Director would benefit your cause and promote a greater working relationship in the future.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/5/2012, 8:57 pm

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project 993580

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/5/2012, 9:32 pm

That is so disappointing for you, Kim, after you have put your heart and soul into it. I was hoping you would have been able to convert a new generation of gardeners.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project Empty School Project

Post  Davanna Driggers 5/6/2012, 12:22 am

Kim,

I am so sorry for you. I know how disheartening that is. I also know what a strong person you are and love the fact that you are working on plan b already! I'm proud to be on the same team with you!

If you'd like, we may be able to get some documentation on the school projects that are working with SFG's. I think the more we band together, the stronger we will be.
Davanna Driggers
Davanna Driggers

Female Posts : 29

http://www.faithvisionministries.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/6/2012, 7:42 am

Davanna Driggers wrote:Kim,

I am so sorry for you. I know how disheartening that is. I also know what a strong person you are and love the fact that you are working on plan b already! I'm proud to be on the same team with you!

If you'd like, we may be able to get some documentation on the school projects that are working with SFG's. I think the more we band together, the stronger we will be.

LOL Plans A & B were running silmultaneously AND I'm negotiating Plan C. Very Happy

It would be helpful getting the documentation on the school projects. Thanks.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/6/2012, 8:02 am

I was hurried in my first response and after rereading, it certainly seems terse and not really what I wanted to say. I feel for you and the level of disappointment you are feeling about this lost opportunity and frustration that you did all this work and there was no appreciation from the client. But, onward and upward Kim. Wink
I would suggest developing a contract of some sort. I have done some volunteering and worked with volunteers on a few different fronts and I have found that having meetings and clear verbal (and in some cases written) agreements about expectations are essential for successful outcomes of events involving volunteers. Sometimes written contracts, though not legally binding, will make things more clear and everyone will know how to reach the desired goal. Though contracts may seem like a bothersome and unnecessary thing, they are helpful to make all the parts of a project clear to all participants.

Good luck with the Shelter garden. Keep up the good work Kim.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Extremely Disappointed Re: School Project WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/6/2012, 8:37 am

camprn wrote:I was hurried in my first response and after rereading, it certainly seems terse and not really what I wanted to say. I feel for you and the level of disappointment you are feeling about this lost opportunity and frustration that you did all this work and there was no appreciation from the client. But, onward and upward Kim. Wink
I would suggest developing a contract of some sort. I have done some volunteering and worked with volunteers on a few different fronts and I have found that having meetings and clear verbal (and in some cases written) agreements about expectations are essential for successful outcomes of events involving volunteers. Sometimes written contracts, though not legally binding, will make things more clear and everyone will know how to reach the desired goal. Though contracts may seem like a bothersome and unnecessary thing, they are helpful to make all the parts of a project clear to all participants.

Good luck with the Shelter garden. Keep up the good work Kim.

Thanks!

Since I wasn't asked in until after the initial meeting, it wasn't my program to run. BUT when I did my presentation they ALL decided to shift to SFG - a MUCH smaller area to fence saving A LOT of money on the project, etc. At that point I told them what I would be able to provide and even followed up with an email reiterating what donations I was soliciting.

LOL like I said, lesson learned!

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/6/2012, 3:40 pm

That sucks......

Sounds to me like some one involved in the FFA group might have had the SFG idea nixed seeing as the school officials seemed all for SFG up until the FFA group got involved in the project and you were donating the materials and labor anyway.

They may have wanted to use the project to train FFA students in more traditional farming/gardening methods.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/6/2012, 4:18 pm

I don't think the FFA was even involved until they needed the plants. That particular school wasn't even involved except that they agreed to "host" it.

This was a group from my county - Dept. of Ag., Dept. of Ed., Dept. of Health, Dept. of Commerce, Parks & Rec., a non-profit group and me. SOOOO who was ultimately in charge, I don't know. It came under our "Farm to School" program.

All I know is working with that many entities didn't work for me.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down