Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Toplef10raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? I22gcj10raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Toplef10raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? I22gcj10raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do raspberries have special needs?

+23
sanderson
camprn
FamilyGardening
audrey.jeanne.roberts
walshevak
Mikesgardn
SwampCatNana
GWN
UnderTheBlackWalnut
plantoid
givvmistamps
littlejo
donnainzone5
NHGardener
larissap3
Lavender Debs
Furbalsmom
Arlis
WardinWake
junequilt
jinx
Chopper
Wyldflower
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty Raspberries!

Post  Wyldflower 6/5/2010, 10:45 pm

I was just in touch with a woman on Craigslist who is taking out a section of her raspberry patch.... I'm going to pick up several plants tomorrow afternoon. They're golden raspberries - she didn't know the specific variety - and they sound yummy!

I've already started a berry patch in one corner of my yard.... one blackberry plant and two red raspberries. I'm not using SFG for this, but I am amending the soil with a 'sort-of' version of Mel's mix.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty Re: Do raspberries have special needs?

Post  Chopper 6/5/2010, 10:57 pm

No advice. I am trying a berry area also. I see them growing wild under terrible conditions so I am not worrying about them. I have some I thought were dead that went through a major weed pulling and herbicide episode and there they are, growing from roots I expect and looking very happy.

I am also trying blueberries. I used to pick those wild at a camp in the Poconos and it isn't a flavor you ever forget. I doubt my warm weather blueberries will ever match it.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty RE:Raspberries

Post  jinx 6/9/2010, 2:35 pm

I want to start a berry patch too. Right now the best place would be along a chain link fence between our side yard and the neighbors back yard. When I talked to the old neighbor lady she didn't seem happy about the idea of berry bushes growing over the fence into her yard (even though they'd be completely out of her way and since my son has been mowing her lawn she wouldn't have to deal with them any way). Go figure, she has a nasty little apricot tree that dumps tons of unwanted apricots in our front yard... (Can you tell I don't like apricots?) LOL. So I'm brain storming where else they'd fit. Only other free spot I have is along the pasture fence but no way am I going to take a chance of the horses or steer getting a hold of them... think think think... Maybe I'd just have to prune anything on her side of the fence weekly to keep them back, but that sounds wasteful too.
jinx
jinx

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty Re: Do raspberries have special needs?

Post  junequilt 6/9/2010, 3:32 pm

I would take those unwanted apricots off your hands, LOL! But at least you can compost them.

You'll want to be able to get to those bramble plants from all sides.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/9/2010, 3:50 pm

Ohhh yeah.. I'm with JuneQuilt on the apricots!

It really is important to be able to access all sides of the bramble - They say it's best to cut the canes after three years, and you could get awfully scratched up trying to get in there with access only from one side. (Not to mention trying to gather the fruit.)

I'm putting my patch at the back corner of my yard along the alley. I don't have a fence there, but I know I'll need to be careful to keep the brambles from over-running their proper place. So I'm setting the six new golden raspberry plants in a staggered line about 5-6 feet in from the alley, and moving the two red raspberries to that area as well. I believe blackberries do well with the same conditions, and I have one blackberry plant there, as well. I'm spacing them about three feet apart, so these ten plants will form a natural barrier across about half the back of my yard. (I don't like fences... )

Oh... and I've got two blueberry bushes too... just getting started with them... I understand that they can handle partial shade, so I'm putting them across the other side of the yard at the back alley where they will get dappled sun/shade all day long.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty Thanks

Post  jinx 6/9/2010, 5:16 pm

I was just thinking if I planted them on the fence I'd be able to care for them from my yard and hers... Maybe I will have to extend my garden plot and claim a 10x10 patch of the pasture for berries and grapes... makes me go hummmm....
jinx
jinx

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 6/9/2010, 8:18 pm

Jinx:

There are several varieties of thorn-less blackberries on the market. They are reported to be heavy fruit producers and good eating.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty RE: Raspberries

Post  jinx 6/10/2010, 12:38 am

I love blackberries! We had a huge blackberry bush on our farm where I grew up, it seems like it was thornless but I can't remember for sure.

We also had a raspberry patch that had to of been nearly a quarter acre big (we had a 30 acre farm). I remember it was so over grown that only us little kids could harvest it. We had tunnels through out the whole bush system that we'd crawl through and have spots we could pop up in the middle of everything. It seems like it wasn't unusual to be covered in thorn scratches, but I don't remember it bothering any of us. I think I always ate more then I brought to the house. LOL, O the good 'ol days. Now I am craving my Mom's frozen raspberry pie, YUMMY!

I'd also like to try for a few blueberries and I really want a grape vine too. I also envy my sisters strawberry patch she has up in Oregon, it is HUGE too. The more I think about it the more I think I'm just going to have to expand my current garden plot into the pasture. Wouldn't take much to set a few new posts and refence a small section of the pasture. My garden plot is already bordering the pasture any way. Dreamin big now for plans of expansion next year! We'll see how my veges go this year, since it is my first year I guess I shouldn't test my limits to fast. LOL

We also have a dairy steer we've raise since he was 2 days old. I'd like to expand with a chicken coop for eggs. I don't think I will ever raise a pig (dispite my husbands disire to do so). And I hate the idea of being tied down with a milk cow or goat... But it just feels good to get back to at least a partially organic life style and menu. I'll need to invest in a pretty good sized freezer by harvest time.
jinx
jinx

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty raspberries

Post  Arlis 5/2/2011, 1:34 am

I am planning on putting in a raspberry bed. We've made the box, 4' x 12', and 11" high. I was just wondering if I can plant them one in every square foot, or do they need to be further apart? Does anyone know? Thanks
Arlis
Arlis

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/2/2011, 3:21 am

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? 396615 Arlis, glad to "meet" you. This seems to be your first post, even though you have been a member for several weeks.

Sorry I cannot provide any help with Raspberries, but I do hope somone with knowlege will come along soon.

Keep us posted on your progress and share pictures when you can.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/2/2011, 12:50 pm

In a bed that size I would plant them every 2 feet in all directions. They seem like they can be close together when you put them in but by late July of their 2nd year they become impressive in space taking size.

The canes for the following year come from the roots and they will need room to spread. You probably know this but you will be cutting out the canes you plant this year and only growing the soft canes for fruit next year. I do not think you will be at all sorry that you gave them space.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty Raspberries?

Post  larissap3 2/21/2012, 10:27 pm

I am moving into a new home that, as luck would have it, has one large veggie garden and one established Raspberry garden. The house has been empty a full year and they were not harvested last year but, my question is how do I care for these? I have never dealt with raspberries before and have no clue when to start doing anything with them and what to do. i do live in northern Illinois and it being February I know have time but, I don't want to miss the optimal time to begin working on them. Also im not sure if not harvesting them last year hurt them in anyway? any information would be so helpful thanks!
larissap3
larissap3

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/21/2012, 10:57 pm

Not being harvested last year does not hurt the canes. Everything that made fruit last year needs to be cut to the ground (does not matter if it was harvested or not) You can tell the difference between new canes (will make fruit this year) and old canes (made fruit last year).

---Red raspberries that have fruited have older looking wood, generally have lots of sort of soft thorns and multiple branches.

---Canes that will fruit this year will be unbranched (look like whips or sticks). They will have more bend to them. You want to keep one to two of those new canes per liner foot in a traditional red raspberry bed. I hope you are lucky enough to have a trellis already set up. The most common trellis' I know of have two wires either side by side or over and under. With the first type the canes are tip pruned at about 5 feet and allowed to grow between the wires. On other trellises they are bent over and tied so that the tip is facing down (arched over) tip pruning is optional.

Canes that will fruit next year will start coming up in the spring. Like mint they will travel. We ran them over with the lawn mower if they were growing where we did not want them. In the raspberry bed you will need to let many new sprouts come up for next year. Canes only fruit once and only in their 2nd year.

It would be great to get someone who has had raspberries to come to your house and show you on the first couple of feet....you will catch on fast.

Welcome to the board and have a great time making jam!!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty Do raspberries have special needs?

Post  NHGardener 4/8/2012, 1:51 pm

I think I'm going to try some raspberries in my boxes, just to keep them contained and organized. (They're growing around the property here, but are a little scattered, hard to get to, and out of control.) (With any luck, I'll be able to transplant some of the wild ones into my boxes.)

Do they use the same MM as everything else, or do some things, like berries, need different amendments?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/8/2012, 2:29 pm

Mmm.... Raspberries! Love them and am hoping to finally get a crop this summer.

Based upon what little I've read, they may need a slightly more acidic growing medium. You might want to try mixing in a bit of azalea/gardenia/camellia planting mix or possibly some oak leaf mold. I don't believe, however, that they require soil as acidic as do blueberries.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Also, I'd recommend dedicating one or more boxes to the berries alone. They're quite invasive and probably would choke out anything else you planted.

Best of luck! Please post pictures of your future crop.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/8/2012, 4:10 pm

We have tried to move the wild berries and grapes to a better location, where we could cultivate,etc. We had dismal results. Wild ones do not like tame situations, never did bear fruit again.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/8/2012, 6:28 pm

We found a berry cane growing in the empty lot behind our house...our neighbor next door to that lot has a raspberry operation and I'm wondering if this little guy was a "volunteer" from their yard. Would that be ok to transplant to my garden? It's a tiny thing, with two little berries starting to turn red on it.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/8/2012, 7:10 pm

givvmistamps wrote:We found a berry cane growing in the empty lot behind our house...our neighbor next door to that lot has a raspberry operation and I'm wondering if this little guy was a "volunteer" from their yard. Would that be ok to transplant to my garden? It's a tiny thing, with two little berries starting to turn red on it.

Much more likley that the seed for the raspberry cane came out of a birds butt end or dropped from its beak .

Though raspberries do send out suckers but usually they are within a foot of the host plant.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/8/2012, 7:27 pm

You can always give it a try. But, plantoid is probably right.
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/8/2012, 7:30 pm

I just thought since this little guy is possibly off of the neighbor's plant, it might take to moving better...though I'd have to find a spot for it, since I'm NOT putting it in one of my squares to take over the joint.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/8/2012, 7:36 pm

Usually raspberry canes are best grown from the suikers not seeds . For the sucker is almost a clone of the original whereas the seed is a new plant that may not have the same prolific fruiting quality of it's parent .

I'd be happy to sink a deeep bottomless pot by a fence and bung it in there adding a bit of compost and giving it plenty of water till it is well and truly established.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/8/2012, 7:50 pm

Oh bummer; we're not on great terms with this neighbor right now or I'd ask if I could set a pot out to root a sucker. (Their dog pooped right in the play zone of our yard yesterday. My husband bagged it and carried it over to hand to the dog's daddy. Next big job: A FENCE to keep their !$#@ dog out!!!)
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/9/2012, 12:21 am

More on raspberries...

University of Maine Coop Extension Raspberries with videos

University of Illinois Extension Raspberries and More
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

raspberries - Do raspberries have special needs? Empty RAspberries

Post  donnainzone5 4/9/2012, 11:24 am

According to the University of Maine, raspberries prefer a 5.6 - 6.2 pH, which is well below that of a typical Mel's Mix (mine usually measures 6.8 - 7.0).
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/9/2012, 11:43 am

You know Michelle, I think it would be worth a try, what would be the harm?
I always figure that volunteers are gifts.

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next