Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Toplef10crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? I22gcj10crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Toplef10crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? I22gcj10crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is Bumper Crop considered a compost?

5 posters

Go down

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Empty Is Bumper Crop considered a compost?

Post  vthokie 3/29/2010, 9:24 pm

I am brand new to SFG. I am so very excited but also confused...I have been to the 2 nurseries in my area and have been told both times that the combination of compost, peat moss, and vermiculite will not work. Obviously, it will. I was lectured at both garden centers about what they do recommend using but both garden centers gave completely different recipes (I guess everyone has their own way).

I still want to do the SFG because of all the wonderful feedback but I am a little confused by purchasing the compost. I don't feel like I could completely trust the people who helped me because after reading other posts there is a lot of conflicting information. For example, I purchased Milorganite today as one of my composting materials and I saw on here that it is NOT one. The same gentleman told me that Bumper Crop is a compost...is it? It contains peat moss so I didn't know if that would count as a compost. I do have chicken manure because I insisted on buying it but thats it. I want to do this right the first time crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Icon_surprised
vthokie

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Empty Compost

Post  nmplantlady 3/29/2010, 10:18 pm

Hi -

There are many types of compost sold in stores ... not all are good for your area as the retailers don't care what they send or if it's relevant.

Mushroom compost is great ... poultry and steer manure (as well as horse, if available) is good to enrich your soil.

Your best bet, though, is to start your own compost pile ... it uses green stuff, brown stuff, and your local soil ... which makes it more compatible to your area ...

Very Happy
nmplantlady

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Empty Re: Is Bumper Crop considered a compost?

Post  Jiro 3/29/2010, 10:22 pm

Bumper Crop is peat moss mixed with composted shellfish, composted kelp, and composted chicken and cow manures. I've never used Bumper Crop, but I do use a somewhat similar product called Chesapeake Blue (composted wood dust and crab). Bumper Crop sounds like a great amendment and a perfect component to your bed.

Based on your user name I assume you're in Virginia... If you're in northern VA, I can suggest a couple of garden centers with good compost selections. My best tip for compost is to look to the future and begin making your own, if practicable.

Milorganite... I'd love to hear people's thoughts on that product. My parents and grandparents are fans of it for their lawns. I can't bring myself to use it though. crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Icon_eek
Jiro
Jiro

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Empty Re: Is Bumper Crop considered a compost?

Post  vthokie 3/31/2010, 9:42 pm

Jiro wrote: Based on your user name I assume you're in Virginia... If you're in northern VA, I can suggest a couple of garden centers with good compost selections. My best tip for compost is to look to the future and begin making your own, if practicable.

I am in VA but not near NOVA. We live in Yorktown. Thanks for all of your help! I will use the bumper crop as one of the composts!
vthokie

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? Empty NOVA compost, Milorganite

Post  Freshenista 3/18/2012, 10:43 pm

Jiro, I'd love the leads on NOVA compost. I'm trying to find non-animal based and have only found leaf/hummus as an alternative. Got a couple yard composts off Freecycle in Arlington as well.

Also interested in Milorganite. Asked at the garden center and the guy said it was too concentrated to use as compost. But maybe I could use less to diversify what's looking like a pretty mono set of compost? I'll cross-post this question on a thread I started on compost.
Freshenista
Freshenista

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/18/2012, 10:50 pm

vthokie wrote:
Jiro wrote: Based on your user name I assume you're in Virginia... If you're in northern VA, I can suggest a couple of garden centers with good compost selections. My best tip for compost is to look to the future and begin making your own, if practicable.

I am in VA but not near NOVA. We live in Yorktown. Thanks for all of your help! I will use the bumper crop as one of the composts!

I'm on vacation in Williamsburg.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

crop rotation - Is Bumper Crop considered a compost? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down