Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, October, 2019
by sanderson Today at 4:00 pm

» My sweet, sweet, sweet taters.
by sanderson Today at 3:56 pm

» Wednesday Wisdom - SFG Foundation
by sanderson Today at 3:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by countrynaturals Today at 10:44 am

» Fifth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Deer Stripped Pear & Fig Trees
by MrBooker Yesterday at 7:13 pm

» Yellow leaves and MM
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» On the Road Again
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Mosquitoes - Lavender and Chamomile Essential Oils
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:12 pm

» SFG Newbie in NorCal!!
by sanderson 10/19/2019, 5:19 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 10/19/2019, 5:16 pm

» TD's Health
by sanderson 10/19/2019, 3:10 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 10/19/2019, 2:58 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by sanderson 10/19/2019, 2:54 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by sanderson 10/19/2019, 2:53 pm

» Sugar Snap Peas & Sunflowers
by countrynaturals 10/19/2019, 2:39 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2019, 2:27 pm

» N&C Midwest October Winding Up 2019
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2019, 1:22 pm

» Cold Frame Season - 2019
by Scorpio Rising 10/19/2019, 1:13 pm

» has55's R & D Journey
by OhioGardener 10/19/2019, 11:53 am

» Multiple Forum Windows
by countrynaturals 10/18/2019, 5:56 pm

» Make hot compost by mixing my trimmings with civic compost?
by dirtywerk 10/18/2019, 11:36 am

» 288 onions seeding in one flat?
by countrynaturals 10/17/2019, 9:16 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 10/16/2019, 3:02 pm

» What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?
by countrynaturals 10/16/2019, 10:42 am

» LED grow lights......any advice?
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2019, 8:41 pm

» October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 10/15/2019, 11:49 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

Page 43 of 44 Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  countrynaturals on 9/15/2019, 9:38 am

Mediterranean cukes, asparagus beans, icicle radishes (only 3 Sad ), and the cherry tomatoes are back in business Cool . Sadly, the figs are finished for this year. We never get enough of them, but we're starting 3 more trees. Maybe next year we can start canning again.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 4793

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  OhioGardener on 9/15/2019, 9:59 am

Last evening we had the first Pear Crisp from our 35-year old pear tree.  Delicious desert!  Very Happy
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/15/2019, 9:31 pm

Everything sounds delicious!

We had BLTs with tomatoes from the garden!  Yum!  And sautéed the eggplant with garlic and onions with a bit of Parmesan!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7118

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 9/19/2019, 2:52 pm

The second planting of bush beans are starting to come in now. Picked first harvest today, and there should be 3 or 4 more before frost kills them.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 Green_15
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/19/2019, 8:26 pm

A sliced up cuke and garlic and onion and many Sunsweet cherry tomatoes in a sloppy joe mix!  Delish!  Oh, and some dills that didn’t seal that have been in the fridge for about a month and a half!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/23/2019, 1:28 pm

Tomato-cucumber salad, kale, and asparagus beans.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 Sepava10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/23/2019, 6:21 pm

CN, what variety is that cuke?  What are they like?  Interesting shape!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/23/2019, 7:05 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:CN, what variety is that cuke?  What are they like?  Interesting shape!
Mediterranean, similar to Armenian. These are our all-time faves. They get huge. The plants are very prolific. They laugh at our heat. The skins are thin, so we eat them skins on. The texture is very tight -- almost like zucchini. The flavor is mild. They're burpless. AND they're almost fluted in shape. Here -- I'll go get a slice for a snack and take pic.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 Meditc10
Once they get started, they grow fast -- like a zuke -- and can get almost as big. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 9/24/2019, 10:31 pm

The stir fry I made tonight featured arugula, radish leaves, and summer squash from the SFG.
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  bluelacedredhead on 9/25/2019, 7:36 am

Cherry tomatoes in a chickpea salad; Blue coco beans and Butternut Squash Soup.  I had a bumper crop of Bush Butternut's this year. We've moved from a house into an apartment and I know they won't last as long as they do in a basement so I'm making soup and I think I will be freezing some as well.
bluelacedredhead
bluelacedredhead

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 9/25/2019, 11:31 pm

Arugula (4 or 5 leaves) to go with the salad. And charcoal grilled summer squash. Anyone else like grilled squash slices? Of course, after you have coated it with olive oil, season-salted it, and grilled it, it probably doesn't count as health food any more ...
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/26/2019, 9:59 am

@markqz wrote:Arugula (4 or 5 leaves) to go with the salad. And charcoal grilled summer squash. Anyone else like grilled squash slices? Of course, after you have coated it with olive oil, season-salted it, and grilled it, it probably doesn't count as health food any more ...
We love all kinds of grilled veggies. What a surprise the first time. I thought they'd be terrible -- just taste like burnt food. Boy, was I wrong! alrighta
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 9/26/2019, 3:15 pm

Grilled Okra.  Peas.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3796

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 9/26/2019, 10:45 pm

Tonight's stir fry featured the first zucchini from the summer garden, and these ...

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 NOUvnaw

The flowers only bloom for a day. Once the squash is done with them, they're great as food themselves. You can find recipes online for battered and fried blossoms, but that's a bit of work and probably not that healthy.
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/28/2019, 2:27 pm

Kale, tomatoes, asparagus beans, and so many Mediterranean cukes we're feeding some to the deer. Rolling Eyes Also, got the last of the zukes from the in-laws, so I'll be making one last batch of zucchini bread. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave on 9/28/2019, 5:50 pm

Chowing down on Kale, tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, chives, eggplants, Chard, bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers. I have a few clusters of grapes left on the vines, and the apples are starting to fall and the onions are up for long term storage.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 404

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 9/29/2019, 4:38 pm

Headed up broccoli ( calabreese?) and caterpillars .. well we don't think we ate any but might have .   When we stood the cut florets in heavily salted water for an hour several came to the surface ..this is despite me giving them a serious quick eyeballing when I cut them this afternoon .

The funny thing is Alison found one more as she  cleaned up the stalks  and then after it was lightly boiled found another three in the pan water , one being a perfect monster 2 inches long and boiled white  . 

Happily we had it with thin strips of asparagus done in a white garlic sauce with smoked salmon flakes , so if there were any left behind they were well disguised and very tasty .
 We also had 1/3 of one of our main crop monster carrots and a boiled in heavily salted water beetroot from the garden between the three of us .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 3897

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/29/2019, 4:57 pm

@plantoid wrote:Headed up broccoli ( calabreese?) and caterpillars .. well we don't think we ate any but might have .   When we stood the cut florets in heavily salted water for an hour several came to the surface ..this is despite me giving them a serious quick eyeballing when I cut them this afternoon .

The funny thing is Alison found one more as she  cleaned up the stalks  and then after it was lightly boiled found another three in the pan water , one being a perfect monster 2 inches long and boiled white  . 

Happily we had it with thin strips of asparagus done in a white garlic sauce with smoked salmon flakes , so if there were any left behind they were well disguised and very tasty .
 We also had 1/3 of one of our main crop monster carrots and a boiled in heavily salted water beetroot from the garden between the three of us .
affraid  (Hubby is definitely not allowed to read this post.) Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/30/2019, 6:49 pm

Hahaha!  I get it, lol

Zucchini casserole, wonderful!  My last 2 fresh zukes.  I have quite a bit frozen, thank goodness!  I will post the casserole recipe, easy and amazing; adaptable to what you have on hand!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/6/2019, 3:28 pm

This morning I decided to pull up that worthless volunteer cuke on the kitchen balcony, and plant radishes in the container. When I lifted the vine to cut its throat, it seemed heavy??? Here's what I found hanging from it.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 43 Volcuk10

Since it's a volunteer from the grocery store -- by way of the compost heap -- I don't know the variety, but it's nice and big, mild and crunchy. Best surprise of the day. happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/6/2019, 5:08 pm

Nothing yet from my garden, but made 3 quarts of applesauce from gifted apples!  A nice variety, not sprayed, lots of carve outs and several worms!  But lovely end product, and my first ever!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 10/6/2019, 5:49 pm

Stuffed bell peppers
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/8/2019, 10:17 am

Fresh Lima beans from the garden and ham from the store.

Made an interesting discovery -- fresh ones aren't enough better than dried to be worth the additional work. I'm going to do a little more research, but I think the result will be to let all the rest dry on the vine. They're so easy to pick and process that way. Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 10/8/2019, 2:27 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Fresh Lima beans from the garden and ham from the store.

Made an interesting discovery -- fresh ones aren't enough better than dried to be worth the additional work. I'm going to do a little more research, but I think the result will be to let all the rest dry on the vine. They're so easy to pick and process that way. Razz
That is what I also found out.  A pain to determine when to harvest the fresh ones and a pain to shell them.  We finally gave up trying for fresh and let them dry on the vine.  We did have a problem with some of them opening and spilling the dried bean on the ground.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/8/2019, 2:55 pm

@yolos wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Fresh Lima beans from the garden and ham from the store.

That is what I also found out.  A pain to determine when to harvest the fresh ones and a pain to shell them.  We finally gave up trying for fresh and let them dry on the vine.  We did have a problem with some of them opening and spilling the dried bean on the ground.
I had a few pop open and explode like little pinatas while I was picking them. Then I had to search the ground for the "spilled beans." Who says Mother Nature has no sense of humor? lol!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 43 of 44 Previous  1 ... 23 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum