Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Now that I'm retired.... Toplef10Now that I'm retired.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Now that I'm retired.... I22gcj10Now that I'm retired.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Now that I'm retired.... Toplef10Now that I'm retired.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Now that I'm retired.... I22gcj10Now that I'm retired.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Now that I'm retired....

+5
sfg4uKim
Furbalsmom
EatYourVeggies
martha
obrdrln
9 posters

Go down

Now that I'm retired.... Empty Now that I'm retired....

Post  obrdrln 1/25/2012, 6:29 pm

Hi from the Midatlantic! I just recently retired and suddenly realized--I CAN GARDEN!! I had a copy of the origional SFG book but ended up giving it to my DIL several years ago because I didn't have the time to devote to the creation, care, feeding and harvesting!!

This method of gardening has always made sense to me and while it's still a little early to actually plant, I have raised boxes to build and verticle standards to erect. Not to mention what to plant, where, with what other veggies and herbs, etc., etc., etc. I went today and priced my materials--except for MM. Stores don't have their composts, vermiculite, or bales of peat out yet. A co-worker gave me a visa gift card that should just about cover what I need (ty, Jessica!)

I have had small gardens in the past and am pleased to say they were relatively successful so I'm quite confident that the SFG will be equally as triumphant! NOTHING like biting into a sun warmed just picked cuke that I grew myself!!

Eventually I hope to make my way back to the Pacific Northwest where my two sons reside. I love camping and hope I can strike a happy medium between gardening and camping. I have three canine furbabes and one feline Princess.

I look forward to becoming a participating member of this forum and picking brains as well as veggies!

Judy in VA
obrdrln
obrdrln

Female Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Now that I'm retired.... Empty Re: Now that I'm retired....

Post  martha 1/25/2012, 6:36 pm

Welcome, Judy!

I am so glad that you get to start with Mel's improved SFG, instead of the original!

And keep in mind, we love photos of your square feet, but we are also suckers for photos of furbabes and royalty!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/25/2012, 6:47 pm

Hello Judy and welcome to the Forum. I was retired at 44 and while living in Tucson, AZ. Within a few months, I had purchaseded my first copy of the ANSFG book and have never looked at gardening the same. Due to some curve balls life decided to throw at me, In 2009 I ended up back home, in the PNW (Vancouver, WA) and am nearing the garden ripened age of 51. There is an unbelievable amount of events constantly going on out here and wonderful resources should you ever make it back to the area. A little early, but I've already begun some seeds this year and plan to still build my boxes, for what I hope is my best SFG yet. See you around the forum. Smile
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/25/2012, 6:53 pm

Now that I'm retired.... 654548 Judy and congratulations on your retirement.

Really nice to have you join us. What a different lifestyle and climate from the PNW to VA.

Good for you, planning and pricing to get your raised beds and trellises ready is a great move.

Have you finished reading ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING? I found it so different (and so much easier) than the original SFG method. Yes there is work involved building your bed, sourcing your Mel's Mix ingredients and mixing the Mel's Mix, but compared to double digging a garden bed, this is a snap.

You will find that you can grow better warm weather veggies in VA than you could in the cool PNW.

Take your time and use the search box for older threads on any questions you may have. Whether you find an answer to your question or not, feel free to ask those questions here.

Camping and gardening are both great ways to occupy yourself. I know there are great camping opportunities where you live now.

Keep us updated on your progress, and after you have completed the first seven days as a member, please share pictures, cause we love them.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/25/2012, 7:04 pm

Hi Judy:

Now that I'm retired.... 396615 to the Forum.

I know you're in the Mid-Atlantic and YOU know you're in the Mid-Atlantic, but we use the National Gardening Association regions, and they assure us you're not. Now that I'm retired.... 889526

If you are in the Western Appalachian Region, then you are considered to be in the Upper South Region.

If you are east of Richmond, then you are considered to be in the Middle South Region.

Confused? Now that I'm retired.... 601593

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Now that I'm retired.... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 1/25/2012, 7:13 pm

And if I'm south of Richmond, what does that make me--ha, ha!! Thanks for that info.

And yes, Fur, MM is gonna make this SO much easier. I think it was the digging and turning of dirt (and I use the term loosely) that put me off before. I didn't have anything even close to

r-e-a-d-y...

My Mantra will be "think small..think small" I have a tendency to become grandiouse(sp) and think I can do-it-all!!
obrdrln
obrdrln

Female Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/25/2012, 8:50 pm

Judy, Glad to see your post, my daughter-in-law is from Virginia near Old Williamsburg. She and my son came to live in Washington State. We are delighted, and my grandkids are avid harvesters when visiting my garden. Whether Virginia or Washington, gardening is a wonderful retirement activity....it tastes SO GOOD! I'm a bit envious of your ability to grow old favorites (from a former life in Texas) of mine: okra, melons, and peaches. Will be looking for your posts. Nonna, St. Helens, OR
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/26/2012, 6:28 pm

Hello Judy ,
Welcome to the fold .
I too practiced the old Square foot way ( of sorts ) but on getting Mel's new book I have changed a few things.
I've been lucky to have been able to set up relatively quickly with 20 beds 36 x 36 inches and 36 inches high built in red engineering bricks on proper concrete foundations.

Retired .. ha Ha .. you'll wonder how ever you found time for that thing called work and a Just Over Broke .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 1/26/2012, 8:10 pm

Welcome to the forum! I retired last February & have had a blast with SFG. Glad you joined us.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/26/2012, 9:24 pm

Welcome Judy and congrats on your retirement cheers
We have some great folks here with lot's of great Sfg experience, so don't be shy!

Now that I'm retired.... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum