Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 Toplef10Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 I22gcj10Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 Toplef10Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 I22gcj10Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray?

+13
tomperrin
llama momma
janezee
EatYourVeggies
januaryX
camprn
boffer
RoOsTeR
Red-Leg
LaborDay RN
sfg4uKim
Chopper
daryl.weaver
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 Empty Growing and using quinoa as a meatless protein

Post  mijejo 1/16/2012, 12:35 am

Quinoa = meatless protein?

Well, that perked up my ears! I would like to discuss this more. I will start a new topic to not high jack this one.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray?

Post  janezee 1/22/2012, 1:54 am

GWN wrote:Hi there, so glad you finally found out what was causing your problems.
I have recently recovered from an advanced cancer treated with chemo and radiation.
In looking back a what could have possibly caused it (I am a health freak and long distance runner), I am convinced that all these artificial chemicals play a part. WHere I was living I knew of 3 women on one road who died of ovarian cancer. I was living in a heavy farming area where many herbicides were used. We were all on wells....
Why is it that nowadays everyone seems to have cancer?
So this is why I am gardening to beat the band. So I know where everything comes from. We have built all of our raised beds with white cedar that we had milled when we built our house. (all the trees that had to be cut down)
This year I have ordered quinoia seeds and am going to attempt to grow it and then make bread with it.

Janet,

Thank you for the kind words. I like meeting someone who gets it. I hope you like it here.
Sorry it took so long to reply. Threads sometimes get by me. sawing logs

j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray?

Post  janezee 1/22/2012, 1:55 am

llama momma wrote:Janezee,
You have written a stunning personal account. Thank you for sharing. I hope you continue to feel better. So many ways to be contaminated between skin absorption, breathing, eating, and drinking. Not knowing at what point the body becomes hyper-sensitized, or if damages can be reversed or not. Blah. After reading your post I paused and changed my mind about lining my next box with plastic. Not doing it. I’m not convinced a healthy plastic exists. Think I’d rather spend a nice day emptying (good exercise too) a deteriorated box and refilling a new one without plastic for peace of mind.
Keep feeling better and Thanks!

And thank you! I hope this saves at least one person some pain and illness.

j
janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 Empty You don't need it, just spending more money

Post  CharlesB 1/22/2012, 5:12 am

The wood in the beds will last for many years even if completely untreated. I made mine out of Douglas Fir because it is what is available and cheap. Not much cedar available where I live.

Here is a video by John Kohler where he shows what kind of state his Douglas Fir beds are in after about 7 years:

https://youtu.be/SLlx9NlsMsM

Sure the inside will degrade but it isn't like they will fall apart. The UV the outside of the beds are exposed to is sufficient for preservation.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/22/2012, 5:24 am

CharlesB wrote:The wood in the beds will last for many years even if completely untreated. I made mine out of Douglas Fir because it is what is available and cheap. Not much cedar available where I live.

Here is a video by John Kohler where he shows what kind of state his Douglas Fir beds are in after about 7 years:

https://youtu.be/SLlx9NlsMsM

Sure the inside will degrade but it isn't like they will fall apart. The UV the outside of the beds are exposed to is sufficient for preservation.

Don't you just love that John Kohler? So much energy and enthusiasm. So many videos!

The only wood I've had rot on me was stuff that was buried in the ground. That went fast, 2-3 years. Above ground, no problems. I have D. fir, too.
janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/22/2012, 10:41 am

I wonder if ... when the wood DOES rot, if you just built the next box on the outside of the first
That way you would be taking advantage of the rotting wood, and keeping all that soil that you have created, untouched.
Mind you, you might end up with a teensy weensy bit bigger square..... though
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/22/2012, 10:59 am

GWN,
I would have a problem with the hardware cloth bottom that was on the original box. As the first box deteriorated it would leave a perfect entrance for vermin who would do this after they filled their tummies off of my good efforts
Lining Boxees with Polyurethane Spray? - Page 2 3787310120
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie 1/22/2012, 10:58 pm

I'm not sure which brand you were looking at, but I just picked a random few and checked their MSDSs (material safety data sheet - all products sold in the US have one and anyone selling it can give you a copy). Most all polyurethane sprays contains isocyanate and a bunch of other nasties which are sensitizers, carcinogens, etc. From the toxicology data on the sheets, it looks like tumors are shown to form (in proxy lab animals) at concentrations as low as 6.3 mg/kg (that's 6.3 milligrams of isocyanate to 1 kilogram of you). Generally, that isn't an exposure scenario I would allow in our manufacturing plant (I get the joy of screening incoming chemicals). I definitely wouldn't want it where I was growing my food. If there was a particular brand you were wondering about, I'd be happy to take a look.
Noie
Noie

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2