Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Books arrived Toplef10Books arrived 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Books arrived I22gcj10Books arrived 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Books arrived Toplef10Books arrived 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Books arrived I22gcj10Books arrived 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Books arrived

+3
camprn
madnicmom
AranMC
7 posters

Go down

Books arrived Empty Books arrived

Post  AranMC 1/12/2012, 6:27 pm

I love Amazon.ca... I ordered the SFG book on Tuesday Evening, they shipped it yesterday and it arrived today! Along with the book about Companion Planting...
I am so enthralled by the SFG book... I am going to have so much fun this year in my new garden....

Aran
AranMC
AranMC

Female Posts : 80

http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Books arrived Empty Re: Books arrived

Post  madnicmom 1/12/2012, 6:46 pm

I know what you mean! amazon is my best friend. LOL

I was going to order Carrots love Tomatoes but found it at Half Price books for 3.50 yesterday! Great Book so far.

I'm now going after http://www.amazon.com/New-Seed-Starters-Handbook/dp/0878577521/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I354HCRAOOR2CL&colid=220GQ69JVEJ64
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/12/2012, 6:55 pm

If I'm shopping for books and I'm feeling flush I try my local book seller, but if I'm on the broke side I go looking at amazon after looking in half.com .

Last edited by camprn on 1/12/2012, 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Books arrived WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Books arrived Empty Looks interesting

Post  AranMC 1/12/2012, 6:56 pm

That book looks interesting, I'll put that on my wish list for next month too...
Thanks...

Aran
AranMC
AranMC

Female Posts : 80

http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 1/12/2012, 7:10 pm

I like that site!! 7.50 shipped , can't beat that.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/13/2012, 9:30 am

All new Squre Foot Gardening is here my order wasn't as fast but fast enough, trouble is putting it down to get any thing done around the house. Carrots love Tomatoes is still AWOL it's shipped but hasn't made it yet,Our new Post Master does Gardening just wondoring if it could have been borrowed???? Shocked (just Kidding) One Big question that jumps off the cover: is you can "Grow more in less Space",but can you grow as much????
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 1/14/2012, 6:53 am

Growing more veggies in less spaced is based on you using the traditional row method. SFG does use less of everything over row gardening, hands down. SFG is a form of intensive gardening, and the best thing about it is that you don't have to become a soil expert to use it. My house was built on drained swampland, with 1.5 feet of sand on top of a clay hardpan. I would have had to have made some serious changes to my current "soil" to get anything but grass to grow.

With SFG you don't have to worry about your organic matter content, pH levels, or drainage issues(for the most part, it's still a good idea not to build your boxes where your native soil doesn't drain well). And raised beds warm up quicker in the spring. Water retention of the "soil" (aka Mel's Mix) is superior to most native soils.

As with any gardening, you start with the soil. Do not skimp, do not substitute, do exactly as Mel says to do.

If I were to grow my veggies in traditional rows, I would need about 5 rows, with ~3' spacing between them, requiring me to dig up(and weed/water/fertilize) ~336 square feet as opposed to growing and weeding/watering in 96 square feet. While that doesn't quite add up to the claim, how I chose to make my strawberry bed is what's throwing it off(I made it so that when the strawberries start running, they already have room to grow into and I don't have to worry about moving any of them for about 2 years). Also, I didn't take into account the fact that I have onions, carrots and radishes growing 16 to a square, or some of the plants growing 4 to a square which don't lend themselves to a matted row easily. I really just didn't feel like putting that much thought into math a 6am.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 1/17/2012, 6:44 am

Wow what a dissappointment. Sad Sad Just my Opinion Embarassed after reading the New SFG Book wish I had waited until I got the book before building boxes and buying stuff to fill them??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What a waste,I feel really dumb this Morning,most of the people I've meet on this site have been great to visit and share ideals with but the new book is just another market ideal, Mel even stated on page31 top section . Perfect Potting soil???cherry jocolor New Mel's Mix Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  genes 1/17/2012, 10:33 am

Hey Bob, did you see the part where Mel says that old time row gardeners have a much more difficult time comprehending the SFG concept than newcomers do? There's no need to be embarrassed about your opinion; it was expected.

Lucky for you that you've already made an investment commitment. You may as well try it for a season, and see how the system works. For some people, like my partner, a hands on experience makes more sense than text in a book. Run your hands through your properly made MM once in a while; refer to the ANSFG book once in a while; and by the end of the season...hey, miracles happen.
genes
genes

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/17/2012, 10:51 am

HBB..I had to double check that Mel actually said that. He did!

But the thing is, you start out with perfect mix and continue to keep it that way with the addition of fresh compost. The catch is "perfect". There is no guessing what is in the mix, you made it so you know! I tried the "potting soil" theory kinda on my first box two years ago. I was not happy. The soil still got hard and clumped up. After one season I had to rework it to summer plant and I had to use fertilizer. A BIG disappointment.

So last year I found the ANSFG book. I made a mix the way Mel tells. There is a big difference! The soil is looser, and I didn't have to rework it. I added just a cup or so of compost each time and never had to use additional fertilizer! No seconded guessing, no having to do testing, just plant and go!

You have already bought your supplies. Please try it this year with an open mind and I am betting you will change your opinion just as I did!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum