Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 Toplef10Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 I22gcj10Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 Toplef10Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 I22gcj10Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Adjustments to Mel's Mix

+14
CharlesB
PVPind
tomperrin
quiltbea
BackyardBirdGardner
janezee
walshevak
camprn
Furbalsmom
sfg4uKim
RoOsTeR
boffer
plantoid
vnoble
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 Empty Re: Adjustments to Mel's Mix

Post  boffer 1/16/2012, 12:51 pm

I occasionally have boxes dry out in the off-season. I plan on it taking a day to rehydrate a box before planting. Add and wait; add and wait; etc. Most of my boxes are TTs with weedcloth bottoms so I have immediate feedback as to when to stop adding water.

During the season I water empty squares too, to keep them hydrated. A good learning tool for beginners is to leave one square empty so you can reach to the bottom of the box to check for hydration. The 'finger in the top test' generally does not tell you what you need to know.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Adjustments to Mel's Mix - Page 3 Empty Re: Adjustments to Mel's Mix

Post  Furbalsmom 1/16/2012, 1:05 pm

Victor,
You certainly did not shake my faith in Mel's Mix. I know how it has performed for me as opposed to my results when I tried to amend my native soil (sand) here on the coast. Mel's Mix wins for sure.
vnoble wrote:It all started with how hard it was to get peat moss to take water if it was ever allowed to dry out (which we did). It took us a good week of off and on sprinkling to get the MM totally saturated. I was amazed that the water would find channels in the mix and keep going around dry spots rather than soak after hosing it with gallons and gallons of water.
I misunderstood your original question about trying to rehydrate and responded with info on building a new bed instead of rehydrating an existing bed that had dried out. To be honest, I don't think there is an easy way to rehydrate a bed that has dried out, except to proceed slowly, water, wait, water, wait.... and perhaps stir the MM a bit as you add water
vnoble wrote:Growing though the winter is a challenge as the days are short and we do not run the heat high for ideal growth. We got started late while we planned and built our boxes. I encouraged the students to select short season crops so we could get a harvest before christmas. The students got a good lesson on warm season crops and cool season crops as the cool season crops did well and the warm seson crops cucumbers and okra did not do much. They harvested raddishes, lettuce, and chard before Christmas and will harvest turnips and beets after. We will be replanting when we return in January.
We can all take a lesson from your group and the seasonal planting you do in the greenhouse. Cool season vs warm season plants is a great lesson for the kids. Though I don't have a greenhouse (yet) I enjoyed hearing about the poinsettas and bedding plants sold as cash crops.

Here on the coast, we also have a lot of problems growing certain warm weather crops, even in the summer, due to the lack of heat. It is good to hear that the kids crops are growing well now. Sure would like to hear how they progress. Photos would be nice too.

oops, I see Boffer responded to watering the dried out MM while I was still working on this.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3