Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! Toplef10Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! I22gcj10Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! Toplef10Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! I22gcj10Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana!

+2
ashort
hkovach
6 posters

Go down

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! Empty Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana!

Post  hkovach 12/29/2011, 10:11 pm

Just wanted to say Hi to all the other SFG-ers out there Smile This spring will be my husband & my first SFG and we are so excited. We are in Zone 9 and are starting with one box this season. Planning to grow tomatoes (of course), green beans, potatoes, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, okra & corn! Who knew so much could fit in such a small area?! How are your gardens doing? Any tips from the pro's out there?
hkovach

Back to top Go down

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! Empty Re: Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana!

Post  ashort 12/29/2011, 10:20 pm

Welcome to the boards. you will find a group of dedicated sfg'ers here who are always willing to help. What a great area you live... fresh vegetables from the garden and fresh speck or redfish! If you are wanting to do broccoli, I suggest you get those seedlings started ASAP - broccoli will bolt in the heat that comes starting in April in your neck of the woods. If you have questions, just ask, as there are several other gulf coasters around from Houston to Mississippi...

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! 396615
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! Empty Re: Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana!

Post  sfg4uKim 12/29/2011, 10:22 pm

Welcome!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/29/2011, 11:10 pm

glad you\'re here , hkovach! I'm in zone 8b on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. This is my first year for sfgardening. My broccoli (first time I've ever tried to grow it) just bolted!!! It's usually dark now when I get off work, so I didn't get to keep as close a watch as I should have on them. I put in transplants on October 9th and they were looking so good. I went a couple of days without checking them & next time I did they had these pretty yellow flowers all over them! Pretty - but not what I wanted to see.

Lesson learned - keep a close eye on those broccoli heads and if they start to "loosen up," go ahead and pick them quick!

I think Unmutual is in zone 9 in Louisiana. He should have some good advice for you, maybe he'll see this and pop in.

sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/29/2011, 11:19 pm

Hey, welcome to you!

Tips: Get in the ground pretty soon. Don't take too much time planning. Zone 9? If you get hot like southern TX, you will likely shut down in the heat of summer. Your growing season can be phenomenal right now.

This is a great place. If you have read the book, this place is the perfect compliment to fill in any gaps or new questions you have. Ask away. We are ready!

Hope to see you around!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/30/2011, 1:40 pm

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! 654548 hkovach

We are certainly glad you decided to join us. This is a great group of people and there are many that are willing to assist you, if we can, when you have questions.

Be sure to check out your regional forum for discussions that may be more relvant to your particular climate.

Look here to DETERMINE YOUR REGION there is a zip code locater if you are not sure if you are Coastal Tropical or Lower South.

Again, Welcome and please keep us updated as you create and plant your first SFG.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! Empty Thanks for the support!

Post  hkovach 12/30/2011, 5:41 pm

Thanks so much for the support & thanks ashort for the broccoli advice. I have never grown it before so it is all completely new to me. I will be sure and ask when I run into trouble Smile My seeds are on the way, so I should be able to get started next week.
hkovach

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 12/30/2011, 7:31 pm

If I remember right, Hackberry is south of Lake Charles on Lake Calcasieu and only 15 miles or so from the Gulf Coast... that would be coastal tropical south... great fishing and great duck/goose hunting...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  hkovach 12/31/2011, 3:49 pm

ashort, you do remember right Smile lots of people come here (esp from houston) for the hunting & fishing. it's among the best in the country from what we're told - lol. we are blessed with an abundance of salt water (gulf & lakes) and the marshes make for great duck/goose hunting. whats it like in

ashort wrote:If I remember right, Hackberry is south of Lake Charles on Lake Calcasieu and only 15 miles or so from the Gulf Coast... that would be coastal tropical south... great fishing and great duck/goose hunting...
hkovach

Back to top Go down

Hey everyone from Haley in SW Louisiana! Empty thanks everyone!

Post  hkovach 12/31/2011, 3:55 pm

furbalsmom - thanks for letting me know about the regional forum, i will definitely check it out.

backyardbirdgardener - thanks for the tip, you're right we have a very long growing season here & can start usually a month earlier than most areas. not quite as lucky as southern california & florida, but close!

update - our seeds should be in next week and we are going to build our 4x4 box this weekend. i believe the first thing we can plant (outside) are the broccoli seedlings & spinach around 2/9. we can't wait! i am going to look around the forums for some info on asparagus too...since it's so permanent, we aren't sure if we should put it in an SFG or just in the ground (we have extremely fertile soil here, so it should be fine either way & of course, in the dirt is cheaper). any feedback is welcome!
hkovach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down