Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Toplef10Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) I22gcj10Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my worms are gonna get hungry
by has55 Today at 9:19 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by plantoid Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» another idea from do nothing gardening-composting tea
by plantoid Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» Green Chili's
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Pesto
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:30 pm

» 2020 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» 2020 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:37 am

» Newbie SFGer in N. Virginia needing some advice
by novablue 8/9/2020, 7:29 pm

» Hardcore Sustainability - Urban Homesteading
by TCgardening 8/9/2020, 12:23 pm

» A couple of recipes for when the tomatoes show up ;-)
by Scorpio Rising 8/9/2020, 9:35 am

» N&C Midwest: August 2020
by OhioGardener 8/8/2020, 7:36 pm

» Tomato Mosaic Virus...Fearing the Worst :(
by Yardslave 8/7/2020, 12:26 pm

» The SFG journey-Overview of the Redesign Compost Tea Brewer
by has55 8/7/2020, 3:50 am

» Tampa newbie
by TCgardening 8/6/2020, 9:11 am

» Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:45 pm

» Safety of cardboard in compost
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:42 pm

» Succession seed sowing now
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:37 pm

» Hello from southern Wisconsin
by AtlantaMarie 8/5/2020, 6:07 am

» Stroke - Country Naturals
by countrynaturals 8/4/2020, 7:28 pm

» Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.
by mollyhespra 8/4/2020, 2:19 pm

» Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!
by sanderson 8/4/2020, 2:06 pm

» SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment
by has55 8/4/2020, 1:01 pm

» New England, August, 2020
by SFGHQSTAFF 8/4/2020, 4:18 am

» Earwigs 2.0!
by OhioGardener 8/3/2020, 2:52 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:56 pm

» N&C Midwest—July 2020
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:40 pm

» Tomato Problems - Help!
by Dan in Ct 8/3/2020, 8:33 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 8:03 pm

» August Avatar: Beat The Heat!
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 9:01 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  ModernDayBetty on 12/14/2011, 11:02 am

Hi everyone, I looked this up and couldn't find a related post, hopefully I didn't over look one. I want to preorder seed potatoes online. It's difficult to get potatoes in my area, they sell out super fast. I have only seen them at Territorial Seed. Any other websites I can order seed potatoes from?
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298
Join date : 2011-03-19
Location : Central Washington Zone 7a

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  quiltbea on 12/14/2011, 11:31 am

try: www.mainepotatolady.com

A nice variety and all certified stock.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 78
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  janezee on 12/14/2011, 1:45 pm

Try Moose Tubers at

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 113
Location : Away

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  sherryeo on 12/27/2011, 7:57 pm

I just placed an order with Potato Gardens. They will ship to southern states once in mid-December (which I missed) and once in mid-January. This is the only place I could find willing to send potatoes before March. Since it's recommended that my area plant in January, I was glad to finally find a place that will send them earlier.

https://www.potatogarden.com/index.html
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850
Join date : 2011-04-03
Age : 68
Location : Mississippi Gulf Coast Zone 8B

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Ha-v-v on 12/27/2011, 8:10 pm

@sherryeo wrote:I just placed an order with Potato Gardens. They will ship to southern states once in mid-December (which I missed) and once in mid-January. This is the only place I could find willing to send potatoes before March. Since it's recommended that my area plant in January, I was glad to finally find a place that will send them earlier.

https://www.potatogarden.com/index.html

Thank you so much Sherry!! I am here in southwest Ms and needed potato seeds!! Going to get my pre order in now. Awesome!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 60
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  sherryeo on 12/27/2011, 8:25 pm

You're very welcome, Ha-v-v, I know a few of us talked about this a while back on the forum, so I hoped it might help some others if I posted.

You really have to jump in there, though, as I mentioned they do one shipment in December & one in January. I'm so relieved I made the January date.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850
Join date : 2011-04-03
Age : 68
Location : Mississippi Gulf Coast Zone 8B

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Ha-v-v on 12/27/2011, 9:20 pm

@sherryeo wrote:You're very welcome, Ha-v-v, I know a few of us talked about this a while back on the forum, so I hoped it might help some others if I posted.

You really have to jump in there, though, as I mentioned they do one shipment in December & one in January. I'm so relieved I made the January date.

Sherry, what types did you order? Early, Mid or long season? I want to order all 3 to have 3 different beds and see what happens. Was wondering what ones you tried before?
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 60
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  mijejo on 12/27/2011, 9:46 pm

Instead of ordering early or mid season, could you order a larger quantity of early and do succession planting? For example: Plant some each month March through August for 60 days to maturity.
mijejo
mijejo

Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-05-25
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  sherryeo on 12/27/2011, 9:47 pm

Hav-v-v, I haven't grown potatoes since my Dad taught me how when I was first married. I can't think of growing/digging potatoes without having fond memories of being in the garden with him. He always just got whatever the most common kind the local feed/seed stores had.

I wanted to try something different - I wanted to try a fingerling variety, so got banana fingerling - it's listed as mid-season. I wanted to try yukon gold, which is an early season variety. That's all I got this time. I only have 5 boxes and no extra-deep boxes or square toppers, so think I'll probably try the potato bags that seem to be all the rage these days.

Let us know what you decide and what you think of them after harvesting. I'll post my results with mine, too. Let's hope all of the forum members who try 'taters this new year will have bumper crops!!!


sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850
Join date : 2011-04-03
Age : 68
Location : Mississippi Gulf Coast Zone 8B

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  ModernDayBetty on 12/27/2011, 9:53 pm

After posting I found a local Washington farm, based out of Ellensburg, www.irsheyesgardenseeds.com they have a lot of seed potatoes at a decent price. I'm a little conserned about ordering through them. I read reviews that said they often send replacement potatoes rather than those ordered. This has been the only negative thing said that I found. Also, it sounds like they ship anytime but if you order now you have to pay for a special box to insure they don't freeze in transit.

I was looking to pre-order and have them sent to me on time. I'm super excited to make 4sft potato boxes this year. I think I'm going to make 3 boxes, for early, mid, and late potatoes... unfortunately I can't narrow it down to only 3 potatoes! I think I'm going to try them in a few months, closer to when I need the potatoes.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298
Join date : 2011-03-19
Location : Central Washington Zone 7a

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  sherryeo on 12/27/2011, 10:04 pm

Here is the page at Irish Eyes Garden Seeds that tells about shipping to the South if anybody wants to check into that. I've already ordered my seed potatoes and am content with my choice for now. If anybody tries this company, let us know how your order turns out. I'll post about my experience with Potato Garden later, once I see how it turns out!

http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/shipping.php

mijejo, I'm no expert, but I don't think potatoes like hot weather. Maybe somebody who's more familiar with your climate will come along and answer your question.


Last edited by sherryeo on 12/27/2011, 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850
Join date : 2011-04-03
Age : 68
Location : Mississippi Gulf Coast Zone 8B

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Ha-v-v on 12/27/2011, 10:05 pm

@sherryeo wrote:Hav-v-v, I haven't grown potatoes since my Dad taught me how when I was first married. I can't think of growing/digging potatoes without having fond memories of being in the garden with him. He always just got whatever the most common kind the local feed/seed stores had.

I wanted to try something different - I wanted to try a fingerling variety, so got banana fingerling - it's listed as mid-season. I wanted to try yukon gold, which is an early season variety. That's all I got this time. I only have 5 boxes and no extra-deep boxes or square toppers, so think I'll probably try the potato bags that seem to be all the rage these days.

Let us know what you decide and what you think of them after harvesting. I'll post my results with mine, too. Let's hope all of the forum members who try 'taters this new year will have bumper crops!!!



I have boxes I built last year for potatoes, Im a loon sometimes when it comes to experimenting with things to get the most out of a crop. I stacked boxes on top of each other to a crazy height like Ive seen others do. This would be good if I knew what potatoes to use and when to plant them. (Like I do now)I just planted entirely too late in the season. LOLOL Shocked
I will still try the 3 varieties I think and still plant in January. I love learning patience in waiting for a harvest like that. With 3 varieties Im thinking it will give me a staggered harvest.
I will keep folks informed for sure so we can compare notes. I will be ordering tonight or tomorrow and be back to share the variety.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 60
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Ha-v-v on 12/27/2011, 10:12 pm

@ModernDayBetty wrote:I was looking to pre-order and have them sent to me on time. I'm super excited to make 4sft potato boxes this year. I think I'm going to make 3 boxes, for early, mid, and late potatoes... unfortunately I can't narrow it down to only 3 potatoes! I think I'm going to try them in a few months, closer to when I need the potatoes.

I too want the three boxes of potatoes and cant think to stay with just 3 potatoes. With my box sizes I could do more than 3 potatoes I think. Will see how it goes and share the progress. It is almost time for planting if its to be for us in January.
Excited to try potatoes again.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 60
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Ha-v-v on 12/27/2011, 10:25 pm

@mijejo wrote:Instead of ordering early or mid season, could you order a larger quantity of early and do succession planting? For example: Plant some each month March through August for 60 days to maturity.
From what I understand I will plant my potatoes from Jan 20th to Feb 15. I found this information on a site I will ink to here >> What's the difference between early,mid and late season potato

* very early earlies (meaning early, early summer) -- 75 days
* earlies (meaning early summer) -- 90 days
* second earlies (sometimes called mid or maincrop--meaning mid summer) -- 110 days
* maincrop to late maincrop(summer into autumn) -- 135-160 days

I see a staggered harvest here if I get a few of them. Can't wait to try.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 60
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  ModernDayBetty on 12/27/2011, 11:57 pm

@Ha-v-v wrote:
@ModernDayBetty wrote:I was looking to pre-order and have them sent to me on time. I'm super excited to make 4sft potato boxes this year. I think I'm going to make 3 boxes, for early, mid, and late potatoes... unfortunately I can't narrow it down to only 3 potatoes! I think I'm going to try them in a few months, closer to when I need the potatoes.

I too want the three boxes of potatoes and cant think to stay with just 3 potatoes. With my box sizes I could do more than 3 potatoes I think. Will see how it goes and share the progress. It is almost time for planting if its to be for us in January.
Excited to try potatoes again.
Ha-v-v

These are the boxes I'm planning on building using MM of course for the first layer. http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/growers1.php I have found that smaller sized boxes work better for me... I'm too short for my 4x4 boxes.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298
Join date : 2011-03-19
Location : Central Washington Zone 7a

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Ha-v-v on 12/28/2011, 12:05 am

@ModernDayBetty wrote:
@Ha-v-v wrote:
@ModernDayBetty wrote:I was looking to pre-order and have them sent to me on time. I'm super excited to make 4sft potato boxes this year. I think I'm going to make 3 boxes, for early, mid, and late potatoes... unfortunately I can't narrow it down to only 3 potatoes! I think I'm going to try them in a few months, closer to when I need the potatoes.

I too want the three boxes of potatoes and cant think to stay with just 3 potatoes. With my box sizes I could do more than 3 potatoes I think. Will see how it goes and share the progress. It is almost time for planting if its to be for us in January.
Excited to try potatoes again.
Ha-v-v












These are the boxes I'm planning on building using MM of course for the first layer. http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/growers1.php I have found that smaller sized boxes work better for me... I'm too short for my 4x4 boxes.


This is my thoughts too!! I have bigger boxes though lol Im insane sometimes with experimenting. I have read this site before it seems. I do wish you great success !!! I too want the first layer to be MM, I would like all layers to be MM actually, but with the size I want that wont work yet. Then I thought bags would work nicely as well or trash cans. I will use what I started with last year and try using them planting at the correct time this time.
Here's to the Potato
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 60
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  FamilyGardening on 12/28/2011, 12:25 am

ya for taters!!!!

last year we grew them in trash can's and wine barrels.....this year we are going to give it a go in the SFG and in the ground.....it will be fun to see which method works the best for us Very Happy


thanks for giving sites to order from!
hugs

rose...... who loves growing taters the most
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Western WA

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Goosegirl on 12/28/2011, 1:53 pm

I grew Yukon Gold's last season. They were mighty tasty, but for the amount of taters I can eat, I do not have enough yard to make it work for me! I will try to satisfy myself with other veggies and buy my taters. At least for this season.........
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 55
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  HillbillyBob on 12/30/2011, 6:05 pm

Remember Potatoes are a cool weather crop,so you most likely won't have time to double crop potatoes good Organic seeds try getting them from Highmowing seeds

site wouldn't let me post a link???????????Shocked Sad


Last edited by HillbillyBob on 12/30/2011, 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fat finger)
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-12-27
Location : E.Texas

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  camprn on 12/30/2011, 6:48 pm


____________________________

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 57
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  janezee on 12/30/2011, 8:40 pm

The math on the 2" x 2" x 10' is wrong. That would be 30" lengths.
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 113
Location : Away

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  HillbillyBob on 1/9/2012, 12:42 pm


they have a lot of there potatos back ordered until 15 Apr????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

that's a bit to late for most of Mad us down in Texas
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-12-27
Location : E.Texas

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Ha-v-v on 1/9/2012, 12:46 pm

@HillbillyBob wrote:

they have a lot of there potatos back ordered until 15 Apr????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

that's a bit to late for most of Mad us down in Texas

Potato Garden allows for shipments in Jan for those in the south.
I have pre ordered my potatoes from them.

http://www.potatogarden.com/index.html I called them and they were kind and chatty Smile If you want them early for the Jan shipment I believe you type that in the comments section, please ship out with next shipment. I am set to receive them near mid jan or end of jan.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Join date : 2010-03-12
Age : 60
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  HillbillyBob on 1/9/2012, 12:50 pm

yep I think our post crossed I'm trying to post the link I put up last week now shows it as backordered until 15Apr,so we'll have to look someplace else.Very Happy
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-12-27
Location : E.Texas

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  HillbillyBob on 1/9/2012, 12:52 pm

@Ha-v-v wrote:
@HillbillyBob wrote:

they have a lot of there potatos back ordered until 15 Apr????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

that's a bit to late for most of Mad us down in Texas

Potato Garden allows for shipments in Jan for those in the south.
I have pre ordered my potatoes from them.

http://www.potatogarden.com/index.html I called them and they were kind and chatty Smile If you want them early for the Jan shipment I believe you type that in the comments section, please ship out with next shipment. I am set to receive them near mid jan or end of jan.
Ha-v-v
thanks for the heads up;) those boxes from Irish eyes make great compost boxes
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-12-27
Location : E.Texas

Back to top Go down

Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder) Empty Re: Ordering Seed Potatoes on line (preorder)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum