Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yipeeee ! Toplef10Yipeeee ! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yipeeee ! I22gcj10Yipeeee ! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yipeeee ! Toplef10Yipeeee ! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yipeeee ! I22gcj10Yipeeee ! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yipeeee !

5 posters

Go down

Yipeeee ! Empty Yipeeee !

Post  plantoid 11/15/2011, 6:19 pm

After the baptism of fire I recievd upon joining this site I ordered the latest square foot book with new additions copyright 2005 which is titled the " All New Square Foot Gardening " book .

It arrived this afternoon and for several hours I was totally immersed in the book I've read it cover to cover ( and will read it many many more times over ).

I'm glad to say it is everything I had hoped for because I have to move on to a much lighter and easier syhstem to be able to carry on gardening .

Thankfully I've got the book in time to start off as " ANSFG " , as I'm having nine or so baby sized 3 x 3 foot beds built in bricks 36 inches high to allow me to garden as a disabled person .

Today I had to shovel seven large double wheeled barrows of friable fertile top soil to level the new lawns using a childs metal sand pit shovel that is fitted to one of the butts of one of my old sea fishig rods. My wife then pushed each load to the site through out the day ..I'm wrecked well and truly .

Once the beds are completed and filled with Mel's soil less mix I'll set things up and then change the 12 beds at the rear of the place over to the new idea .

So guys and gals ...a big thank you for putting me on track to an even easier system that is well proven .

David
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Yipeeee ! Empty Re: Yipeeee !

Post  boffer 11/15/2011, 6:26 pm

You're gonna love it! And I've been ruminating on some of your ideas so that the next old schooler doesn't get so burnt!

The book is a very fast read the first time through. But I learn something new everytime I pick it up when I have a couple minutes to spare.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/15/2011, 6:53 pm

I did a speed reading thing years ago and even though I've had a mini stroke ( TIA ) it seems I still have it under my belt .

I also had to learn to prepare my mind to be open enough to actually read , comprehend & remember things I'd read , not just blast on through the words.

But like you say the more you read a book the more times you find something new , interesting and very pertinent to the way your heading in thought and deed .

When I first started re reading things deeply it was as though you could swear that new bits had been added overnight

I must confess it is one of the easiest reads I've ever had , none of the dry old stuff that you could use for bonfire material .

I like the social development aspects that have been developed as well , for had I been fit enough at normal retirement age I was going to join the Voluntary Service Organisation ( VSO ) and teach honey bee keeping and the OLD SFG ideas whilst my gal had hoped be with me to teach the three R's in parts of the world where it is needed .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/15/2011, 6:59 pm

The book is a great reference tool. Mine is only a couple of months old and very worn and used lol. What a Face For such a quick and easy read, there really does seem to be something new that pops out at you.

Yipeeee ! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/15/2011, 7:04 pm

When I looked on Amazon.co.uk it also indicated that the book was available on the Kindle system

Has anyone got it on a slate yet ?
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/15/2011, 7:23 pm

plantoid, I have it on my Nook Color and its great! Think I paid about $10 for it. I have the Kindle as well, but really wanted all the color photos that my Nook offers so I went with that version instead. Pony up! Its worthy! Very Happy

Yipeeee ! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 11/15/2011, 7:50 pm

plantoid, I think it is much to your credit that you withstood your "baptism of fire" and listened to what was being said about the New Square Foot Gardening Book and method. There have been some who weren't open-minded enough to do that.

I know it can be off-putting to be told some of the things that you were. I think it's a good idea for Boffer to try to think of a gentler, less confronational way to express the fact that this forum's purpose is to promote the new square foot gardening method. I do like the idea of an explanation of this purpose to be put right beside the spot where you sign up for the forum so that folks have ample opportunity to see exactly what the forum is devoted to.

Reading a bit about some physical limitations you mentioned, I think the all new method will benefit you in so many ways. It just makes gardening so much easier! Welcome to the forum!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/17/2011, 5:29 pm

Thank you Sherryo,

It was also a bit self inflicted Embarassed , I should have " Seen all , read all and said " now't " for a few months then I'd have sussed out the lie of the land perhaps .Wink

I've been spending a wee while looking into the various areas of the site and am well pleased to have found such a site.

Sometimes the differences in American english and real English becomes amusing ..like the title " Any one grow sprouts ? "

" Of course I do " ran through my mind , " Sprouts aka. Brussel Sprouts ". I had to chuckle when I read what it was really about.

I'll have to practice much more of " Look before you leap " and be more aware of " Fools rush in where angels fear to tread " sort of stuff .

It might take a while but I'm sure it's going to be well worth it.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/17/2011, 5:41 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:plantoid, I have it on my Nook Color and its great! Think I paid about $10 for it. I have the Kindle as well, but really wanted all the color photos that my Nook offers so I went with that version instead. Pony up! Its worthy! Very Happy

We poor cousins this side of the pond can only dream of " Nook Colour " and I'll be having nightmares as to how we can afford one this year/next year Wink .

It seems only yesterday when I was sat at technical engineering school soldering a birds nest of wires and components on to a self made circuit board that went onto my amp /volt. ohm test meter .

Now 46 yrs later we have books on a piece of something that looks like a plastic slate , some even running to colour ..my what is the world coming to ?affraid

All joking aside ..... Do you have any problems flicking back and forth over the pages trying to locate some split thread of thoughts like you can with a paper book or do you have to spend ages & go back to square at the index one and trawl the chapters most likely where it will be found ?
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/17/2011, 7:15 pm

sherryeo wrote: I do like the idea of an explanation of this purpose to be put right beside the spot where you sign up for the forum so that folks have ample opportunity to see exactly what the forum is devoted to.
I believe it is there when one registers and it is always available for viewing on the left side of the front page of this forum. If you go to the home page and in the upper left corner, point your curser to 'hover' and it all drops down for more good reading... Very Happy

Last edited by camprn on 11/17/2011, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stoopid typos, per usual...)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Yipeeee ! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 11/17/2011, 7:24 pm

True, it does say that the forum is to support the All New Square Foot Gardening method, but I think a brief explanation of the method might help avoid some misunderstandings. If a prospective member hasn't yet read the book, they probably woudn't really know what that meant. It would be an improvement, it seems to me, to mention that it features using raised beds, grids and a soil-less planting medium called Mel's Mix (made from 1/3 mixed composts, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 peat moss). I'm just all for trying to avoid misunderstandings to begin with than trying to set them right afterwards.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/17/2011, 7:35 pm

plantoid wrote:
nKedrOoStEr wrote:plantoid, I have it on my Nook Color and its great! Think I paid about $10 for it. I have the Kindle as well, but really wanted all the color photos that my Nook offers so I went with that version instead. Pony up! Its worthy! Very Happy

We poor cousins this side of the pond can only dream of " Nook Colour " and I'll be having nightmares as to how we can afford one this year/next year Wink .

It seems only yesterday when I was sat at technical engineering school soldering a birds nest of wires and components on to a self made circuit board that went onto my amp /volt. ohm test meter .

Now 46 yrs later we have books on a piece of something that looks like a plastic slate , some even running to colour ..my what is the world coming to ?affraid

All joking aside ..... Do you have any problems flicking back and forth over the pages trying to locate some split thread of thoughts like you can with a paper book or do you have to spend ages & go back to square at the index one and trawl the chapters most likely where it will be found ?

plantoid, as far as just reading goes the Kindle is the way to go. Its just flat out easier to read and easier on the eyes. Kindle got it right hands down with their readers. Also, I have a hard time "just reading" on my Nook cause it can do so many other things, I usually end up venturing off into other things...lol.
Typically, though I bookmark pages that I refer to often for easy access. So I don't have to do the ebook shuffle. Amazon typically lets you try it out or preview before you buy. Check it out. I am guessing you have the book too, so color really isn't all that important. I had the luxury of having color so I went that route. But like I said, Kindle is better imho. Very Happy
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum