Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? Toplef10Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? I22gcj10Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? Toplef10Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? I22gcj10Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix?

+2
Too Tall Tomatoes
annasmum
6 posters

Go down

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? Empty Kelp as part of Mel's Mix?

Post  annasmum 11/2/2011, 9:45 pm

I am trying to get 5 different types of compost for Mel's Mix. Would this mix be okay? Cow manure, chicken manure, mushroom compost, bat guano, worm castings or kelp if I can't get the castings?
annasmum

Back to top Go down

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? Empty Re: Kelp as part of Mel's Mix?

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/2/2011, 10:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!

And....where are you getting bat poop???
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/3/2011, 6:42 am

annasmum wrote:I am trying to get 5 different types of compost for Mel's Mix. Would this mix be okay? Cow manure, chicken manure, mushroom compost, bat guano, worm castings or kelp if I can't get the castings?
Yes, composted seaweed would be considered one compost. I have never made seaweed compost but I know it requires a few rinses to get rid of the salt.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  annasmum 11/3/2011, 6:47 am

I found bat compost on amazon. It's not exactly cheap but I just can't find 5 different type of compost locally. So might have to get it there. Never thought about the salt part on the kelp. Maybe I should think of another type of compost. I'd hate to ruin my plants if the kelp wasn't rinsed properly.
annasmum

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/3/2011, 6:51 am

Anna I know there are a few videos on the net on how to properly make your own seaweed compost. It is a very good thing to add to the garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 11/3/2011, 9:25 am

Hi, annasmum,
and welcime to the forum.
I used fresh eel grass and kelp for years on my Cape Cod garden, with nothing but great results. Use it if you can get it! Here's an excerpt from a web page I found:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/organic/2002080041031662.html

"Seaweed/Kelp has a low NPK = 0-0-1. However, just like the fish products and all other natural fertilizers, there are more insoluble NPK nutrients and other trace elements in the product than meets the eyes. There may be up to 1-3% total N, 1-2% total insoluble P, 3-5% total insoluble K in seaweed products. The real benefit of seaweed is not in its NPK amounts. Seaweed/kelp can contain 60 trace elements, many growth hormones, and disease control properties in it! Basically every nutrient that any surface plant can ever need! If seaweed products are mixed with high N products like fish, you have an excellent complete natural fertilizer and soil amendment that will supply every NPK and trace element need of the soil and plant. Seaweed and other algae plants are some of the most powerful plants on earth, or should I say in the ocean. Seaweed is also an excellent food source for beneficial fungi in the soil."

I hosed it off in the driveway to get rid of the sand more than the salt. The amount of salt is negligible compared to the benefits.
Sounds like you're off to a great start. Good luck.
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/3/2011, 10:11 am

I swear by this stuff.....

Okay, so it's not a compost and its not on Mel's list but like Janezee has stated, it is LOADED with micro nutrients. I add this to my SFG every season.

Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? 926110

Sea Magic......really is magic Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/3/2011, 11:05 am

Description of what it does...

This little pouch makes 250 quarts of solution!

Contains cytokinins and 17 amino acids to encourage stronger, lusher growth, more sugars production in fruiting crops, and increased blooms!

We've all been hearing great things about the uses of seaweed as a plant growth stimulant, and we've tested lots of products to find out how they really measure up. Well, far and away the best -- hands down, barring none -- is Sea Magic, a seaweed concentrate suitable for use on all your garden plants! This dry seaweed is justn amazing. It doesn't just encourage plants to grow --it shoots them up, increasing root production and strength so that they not only gain in size and bloom, but develop a healthy root system to maintain that increased growth all season long! They grow greener, lusher, and more resistant to pests and diseases. In combination with an all-purpose fertilizer, Sea Magic is unparalleled!
Entirely organic, this seaweed concentrate works wonders on flowering ornamentals, foliage plants, houseplants, shrubs -- you name it, Sea Magic will help it! It is a seaweed called Ascophyllum nodosum, harvested from the cold, clean water of the northern Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Canada. Unlike fish emulsion, it doesn't stink (let's be frank about that!), and it's great at preventing leaf decay and
stimulating foliage production when sprayed directly onto the leaves. It hastens the absorption of nitrates, potassium, and calcium -- minerals plants need to flourish, and it actually makes them more drought resistant. Very effective against Botrytis in strawberries and damping off in Tomatoes, it also superb on lawns and ornamental grasses. Here are some specific results observed by Dr. T.L. Senn, a Clemson University seaweed expert:Fruits and vegetables literally taste better, due to increased levels of BRIX (fruit sugar content) Roses produced 23 percent more blooms, Carnations 13 percent more Vegetable and fruit crops are more prolific: 77 percent more apples, 47 percent more peppers, 24 percent more tomatoes
Insect damage is minimized -- 89 percent reduction in red mites, 77 percent reduction in leaf hoppers
Each 30-gram pouch produces 250 quarts of solution. It is a growth enhancer
containing 17 key amino acids and cytokinins, which absorb into plant cells and increase their productivity and strength. Use it in conjunction with a fertilizer for best results. You just won't believe the power of this terrific seaweed!
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 11/3/2011, 8:49 pm

Hi Staf74,

How much of the Sea Magic do you put on your garden every year?
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/3/2011, 10:29 pm

Luci,

I usually add this TWICE per season. Once early on and one mid season whether it be spring, summer or fall. The seaweed looks like a slab of chocolate with the wrapper off. I break it into about 8 pieces and use one piece and melt it in a one gallon container in lukewarm water as per instructions. That is your concentrate. Then I use one cupful per watering can (2 gallons) and give each plant a liberal amount. That one concentrate does my whole garden (four beds) and other various fruit trees and shrubs. Now remember I have 7 pieces of seaweed left for more concentrate. This stuff goes ridiculously far and at the rate I use it, a single purchase lasts a whole year !!!!

I think its something like $7.95 for a TWO slab packet. A real steal and totally worth adding to your SFG even if you do already have a great Mel's Mix. I can't see the harm. I would not put the success of my SFG down to Sea Magic. Clearly the credit goes virtually all to Mel. However, I'm sure this helps with how little insect damage I seem to get and how "lush" things seem to turn out.

Do a little research on the actual seaweed type "Ascophyllum nodosum". Tons of proper scientific studies on it.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 11/4/2011, 5:08 pm

Thanks, staf74...I'll keep this in mind for my garden next Spring. Maybe try it in one of my two 4x4's and not in the other...both planted with the same stuff to see how much difference it makes.

For the ridiculously low price, it would be a great experiment!
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/4/2011, 10:10 pm

No worries Luci !

That sounds like a fun experiment.

I must also apologize to the OP, "annasmum." I have not even weighed in on your question Embarassed I think your compost types sound great. Adding a little kelp will help for sure. Certainly won't harm.

Bat guano is awesome stuff. Expensive though..... but awesome nonetheless.

Worm castings.... Kelp as part of Mel's Mix? 73140 Try all out if you can to get the castings and then perhaps also add in a liquid solution like I do for the Kelp to cover your bases.

Two cents.....
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/4/2011, 10:57 pm

Can this Sea Magic solution be used in conjunction with a compost tea?
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/4/2011, 11:19 pm

I would say yes.....sure !

Because you add roughly a cupful of concentrate to a two gallon watering can, it is a diluted solution. It is not something that can burn. I have added it (sea magic) to my own "worm tea" to make a potent brew....LOL!

My worm bin has a container that catches all the run off from the worm poop (TMI??). I added this to the sea magic watering can once to save another step. The plants perked up almost immediately with no ill effects.

I'm no expert. Just my own experience Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/4/2011, 11:34 pm

Thanks......so this Sea Magic is something that gets watered in? Not a spray like you would use compost tea?
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/4/2011, 11:39 pm

Yes....deffo watered in at root level for sea magic. When you say "spray"....I'm assuming you are referring to foliar (leaf) feeding??? I guess some would uptake to the target plant this way but much more effective at root level. Still...I don't see why both would not enhance growth/health but probably not a combined step for spray only.

Does that help???
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down