Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Questions related to the first freeze of the season Toplef10Questions related to the first freeze of the season 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Questions related to the first freeze of the season I22gcj10Questions related to the first freeze of the season 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Questions related to the first freeze of the season Toplef10Questions related to the first freeze of the season 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Questions related to the first freeze of the season I22gcj10Questions related to the first freeze of the season 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Questions related to the first freeze of the season

3 posters

Go down

Questions related to the first freeze of the season Empty Questions related to the first freeze of the season

Post  Khrishna 11/2/2011, 4:28 pm

Tonight it's getting down into the 30s and then for tomorrow night they are forecasting a low of 29 and I think they said "hard freeze." I have plants covered in green tomatoes, poblanos and jalapenos, and also some small heads of lettuce plus good sized chard and beet greens. Should I pull it all up before the freeze? Will any of it survive if I just cover it with sheets? Any chance that the tomatoes will make it past the green stage this year? Seems like they've been green forever! I'd hate to pull everything up and then have the temps rise again for another month or something, but I'd hate it worse if I lost it all. Right now I could at least make some green tomato relish or chow chow or something.

Also I have strawberry plants that I need to bed for the winter. And I just planted some garlic. I was just going to mulch them both in with some hay. Is that good enough?

One last question, does oregano overwinter or do you have to replant it every year?

Thanks for any help (as always)!
Khrishna
Khrishna

Female Posts : 19

http://www.hoglogfrog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Questions related to the first freeze of the season Empty Re: Questions related to the first freeze of the season

Post  stripesmom 11/2/2011, 10:09 pm

I'm not sure what you've decided, sorry it's so late in the evening. The tomatoes will be ok with a sheet as long as it's not a hard freeze. The poblanos and jalepeno's don't do well with cold, you could try covering them, but don't be surprised if they don't make it if it goes below 30 even with a sheet. Chard and lettuce will be ok if they are covered. I covered my tomatoes when it was down to 30 and they did survive, but they don't taste as good as they did before they got that cold. The texture is still ok, they just aren't sweet.

Strawberries do better with some straw over the winter. Hay tends to have seeds that will grow more hay. Although, that does depend on the quality. On the other hand, I've had strawberries not mulched in the winter and they did fine. I live in Iowa and it gets colder here than where you are.

I think oregano will not over winter-it's a perinneal. If you can, pot it up and bring it in the house.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Questions related to the first freeze of the season Empty Re: Questions related to the first freeze of the season

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/3/2011, 10:42 am

There's also never a guarantee that the first freeze will happen...or kill. Cover them up and check the results in the morning. Often times, once you survive the first frosts/freezes, the weather warms back up and gives you a decent amount of time to continue gardening before the winter really sets in.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Khrishna 11/4/2011, 9:34 pm

Thanks so much. I posted this question here and also on my blog and got mixed answers. I decided to harvest all the poblanos, and bring the jalapeno plant indoors. I left the tomatoes on the plants and covered them, but unfortunately the plants didn't survive. I picked the tomatoes and brought them indoors anyway, but I will probably wind up just composting most of them. I read somewhere that you should not use tomatoes that have been exposed to a freeze for canning, and there's too many to use up as fried green tomatoes, and all the recipes I can find for things like green tomato relish or chow chow are canning recipes. Live and learn, I suppose! Rolling Eyes
Khrishna
Khrishna

Female Posts : 19

http://www.hoglogfrog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 11/5/2011, 8:28 am

Somebody posted this to me awhile back about refrigerator pickled green tomatoes. I didn't try this, because by the time I did pick my green tomatoes, there weren't any left I wanted to fool around with. But, you might try it and see how they turn out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/pickled-green-tomatoes-recipe_b_754850.html?ncid=wsc-huffpost-cards-image
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum