Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
parsnips in square foot garden? Toplef10parsnips in square foot garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

parsnips in square foot garden? I22gcj10parsnips in square foot garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
parsnips in square foot garden? Toplef10parsnips in square foot garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

parsnips in square foot garden? I22gcj10parsnips in square foot garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

parsnips in square foot garden?

+5
Scorpio Rising
Turan
trolleydriver
quiltbea
Feistywidget
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

parsnips in square foot garden? Empty parsnips in square foot garden?

Post  Feistywidget 10/28/2011, 8:01 pm

I know they have very long roots, but I'm wondering if it's possible to grow them in the square foot garden?

If so, how many would you plant per square foot grid? (in each of the little boxes that a square foot box is divided up into).

This would be for normal parsnips, not baby parsnips. How far apart would you space them? This is after seedlings have been thinned. I was also wondering if you could grow daikon (big, fat, asian white radish) in square foot gardens. Same questions I have about the parsnip apply to the daikon too.

I've found varieties, both with daikon and parsnip, that have smaller roots (basically they're 'mini size') with their length compared to the traditional varieties.

I'm also wondering if you could grow burdock root in square foot containers? It's a root vegetable with a very long root, similar in appearance in taste to a carrot.

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/burdock.htm

Also here is a picture of what burdock root looks like:

It's also known as 'gobo'.

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/japanesefoodpicture/ig/Japanese-Vegetables/Gobo-Picture.htm

Here is a link that provides information about burdock and how to grow it.
Feistywidget

Location : Boyne City Michigan (gardening zone 5; short growing season....mild and cool climate...hot summers, but much milder than summers in tropical gardening zones)

Back to top Go down

parsnips in square foot garden? Empty Re: parsnips in square foot garden?

Post  quiltbea 10/28/2011, 11:16 pm

I only know about parsnips. I've done them for 2 years now. I planted 9 per square in 2 squares, they are very big and bushy at the end of the season. They taste better after a couple of frosts if you plan to pull them in early winter. I tried some before frost last year and the flavor was disappointing. I tried some after 3 frosts and they were tastier. The rest I left in the garden over the winter here in zone 5a Maine with lots of deep snow cover thru the season. They were delightful in the spring when they bushed out again. Very tasty roasted in the oven. My beds are 12" deep and I don't have any barriers below. Mine grew about that long.

parsnips in square foot garden? 04-10-12

My harvest April 10th this year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:24 pm

quiltbea wrote:I only know about parsnips.  I've done them for 2 years now.  I planted 9 per square in 2 squares, they are very big and bushy at the end of the season.  They taste better after a couple of frosts if you plan to pull them in early winter.  I tried some before frost last year and the flavor was  disappointing.  I tried some after 3 frosts and they were tastier.  The rest I left in the garden over the winter here in zone 5a Maine with lots of deep snow cover thru the season.  They were delightful in the spring when they bushed out again.  Very tasty roasted in the oven.  My beds are 12" deep and I don't have any barriers below.  Mine grew about that long.

parsnips in square foot garden? 04-10-12

My harvest April 10th this year.
These sound appealing to me.  Thoughts?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 8:30 pm

quiltbea ... those are fantastic.   happy banana
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

parsnips in square foot garden? Empty Old thread, resurrected!

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:54 pm

This is an old 2010 thread, but has my exact question to all you guys!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2016, 4:01 am

9/sq, shorter variety in 7" of MM

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/27/2016, 9:55 pm

I think I might give them a square.....Thanks, sanderson!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/28/2016, 2:57 am

Baker Creek Half-Long Guernsey

Ken is going to make my final table top bed Wink and I hope to put some in that one, along with garlic.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 9/30/2016, 8:47 am

sanderson wrote:Baker Creek Half-Long Guernsey

Ken is going to make my final table top bed Wink and I hope to put some in that one, along with garlic.
I planted 8 squares of Hollow crown parsnip seed I bought at Wal-Mart and their doing good so far. I planted them in an 8 inch bed I built over an in ground garden so there's no barrier. I plan on letting them go over the winter.

I wasn't sure if I would like Parsnips so I did a taste test on some store bought Parsnips before planting. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the slight cinnamon taste. They just take forever to germinate.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/30/2016, 7:08 pm

I will have to do some research!  I have 4 repurposed window boxes arranged in a rough square, they are deep, about a foot, and 18" wide, varying lengths, mostly 10', one 12', one 8'.  Some have partial bottoms.  I would probably put then in there.  That is my root box!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/14/2018, 7:21 pm

Any results to report about parsnip growing these last couple years?
How full of germination does one expect? Should I over seed and then thin? Try out starting indoors? My understanding is that they are much like growing carrots but slower and bigger in all things.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/14/2018, 8:17 pm

I didn’t grow them, Turan.  My sister in law uses them in a gratin to lessen the carb load.  But I am a potato devotee!  I do like turnips though...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/14/2018, 8:18 pm

MrBooker wrote:
sanderson wrote:Baker Creek Half-Long Guernsey

I planted 8 squares of Hollow crown parsnip seed I bought at Wal-Mart and their doing good so far. I planted them in an 8 inch bed I built over an in ground garden so there's no barrier. I plan on letting them go over the winter.

I wasn't sure if I would like Parsnips so I did a taste test on some store bought Parsnips before planting. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the slight cinnamon taste. They just take forever to germinate.
How did they do for you, Mr. Booker?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/15/2018, 12:19 pm

Mr. Booker is taking some time off from his gardening. From what I remember, his parsnips and carrots were beautiful.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/15/2018, 5:44 pm

Turan wrote:Any results to report about parsnip growing these last couple years?
How full of germination does one expect?  Should I over seed and then thin?  Try out starting indoors?  My understanding is that they are much like growing carrots but slower and bigger in all things.
 Ensure you get foil packed new seeds each year ..  They have a great tendency to go out of the viability range of one year .
So far I've not managed to germinate any over two years old .
  Look up the germination temperatures too as they are critical & germinate over a long time .

Last years were grown in my bottomless  plant tubes inside my UV lit , under soil heated boxed in seed germination / growing bed .

They don't like transplanting so the bottomless tubes came in handy to slip them out of once the first true leaf set had grown .

In old fashioned row gardening I dug out all my 36 inch wide by 360 inches long beds down to 3 feet deep dug some well composted mix of seven years old weed seed free manures in the bottom then back filled each bed with a mix of the same composted manures  sand 7 the natural soil of clay which use to be the bed of an ancient dew pond .

The see were grown in 2 inch dia x 5 inches long plastic tubes & when the plants were 2 inches tall they were soaked u=in rain water for a night then gently ejected from the tubes in to the planting holes and well watered in .
I got 12 or so  parsnips each over 32 inches long , nearly as thick as my thigh at the top end .... Yet they were the tenderest & sweetest parsnips I've ever had . The secret is not just in the growth medium but like for all crops it's to have the the right consistent amount of moisture available the soil for the plants all the time .
Get that right & your parsnips will be brilliant  .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/15/2018, 7:42 pm

sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker is taking some time off from his gardening.  From what I remember, his parsnips and carrots were beautiful.
Thanks Sanderson. Yup yur right about taking some tome off. It was 80* F here in So. Ill today. It must be a record. About taking some off..... I got into "Bush crafting" this winter and spent a TON of money on toys. THEN..  I bought a wood lathe a few weeks ago and getting my wood shop going again. BUT..
        I'm not giving up on my garden. Next month is spring and I'll get things going again and post a lot of pics. Don't count me out.
Mr.Booker
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/15/2018, 8:45 pm

MrBooker wrote:
sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker is taking some time off from his gardening.  From what I remember, his parsnips and carrots were beautiful.
Thanks Sanderson. Yup yur right about taking some tome off. It was 80* F here in So. Ill today. It must be a record. About taking some off..... I got into "Bush crafting" this winter and spent a TON of money on toys. THEN..  I bought a wood lathe a few weeks ago and getting my wood shop going again. BUT..
        I'm not giving up on my garden. Next month is spring and I'll get things going again and post a lot of pics. Don't count me out.
Mr.Booker
Hey Mr. B!  Glad you are in the garden!  Everyone has other stuff, too!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/15/2018, 9:03 pm

plantoid wrote:Get that right & your parsnips will be brilliant  .

Thanks for all the advice. I now have a game plan. I will try and go for 'good enough', brilliant is just too much to think about.
cyclops

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/16/2018, 7:27 pm

happy hi Mr. Booker!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/16/2018, 7:52 pm

Turan wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. I now have a game plan. I will try and go for 'good enough', brilliant is just too much to think about.
cyclops  
I've grown parsnips in my ANSFG. First year I think I did 2 seeds per spot, second year 3-5 per spot to compensate for older seeds - though the germination rate was better than expected. I did move a few extras to empty spots, but I don't know if the empty spots were germination problems or post-germination pest/weather issues. First year was better: I need to fluff my (8" deep) MM, I failed to thin properly the second year (I really couldn't tell that there was more than one when they germinated close together), and there was a groundhog the second year that really set the plants back. I plant 4/sq (actually 2 per half square), in that space around the tomatoes that they seem to need aerially but not in terms of ground space. I make a small depression, sow a few seeds and lightly cover, and cover the depression with a opaque plastic yogurt tub lid (with a small rock on top of it) to keep the moisture in. I lift the lids to water, using a watering can that has a "fine rose", every other day. I remove the lids once they've sprouted. The shallow depression fills in over time, so that the tops of the parsnip roots are covered/protected from sun.
...Time consumptive, and some portion of the ritual is probably unnecessary -- but it's been successful so I'm likely to do the same thing this year.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/16/2018, 9:50 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Turan wrote:

cyclops  
I've grown parsnips in my ANSFG. First year I think I did 2 seeds per spot, second year 3-5 per spot to compensate for older seeds - though the germination rate was better than expected. I did move a few extras to empty spots, but I don't know if the empty spots were germination problems or post-germination pest/weather issues. First year was better: I need to fluff my (8" deep) MM, I failed to thin properly the second year (I really couldn't tell that there was more than one when they germinated close together), and there was a groundhog the second year that really set the plants back. I plant 4/sq (actually 2 per half square), in that space around the tomatoes that they seem to need aerially but not in terms of ground space. I make a small depression, sow a few seeds and lightly cover, and cover the depression with a opaque plastic yogurt tub lid (with a small rock on top of it) to keep the moisture in. I lift the lids to water, using a watering can that has a "fine rose", every other day. I remove the lids once they've sprouted. The shallow depression fills in over time, so that the tops of the parsnip roots are covered/protected from sun.
...Time consumptive, and some portion of the ritual is probably unnecessary -- but it's been successful so I'm likely to do the same thing this year.
Wow, Beetles, that seems really effort intensive!  Do you Love them?  I don’t.  They are good, but not a love of mine.  My SIL makes a gratin with various root veggies, including parsnips, and it is wonderful.  But seems like work.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 2/17/2018, 5:10 am

sanderson wrote:happy hi  Mr. Booker!
Good morning Sanderson. Looks like I might survive the winter after all. I had to wonder for awhile. Old man winter hit us really hard early in Dec and hung on through late Jan.  We had very little snow but cold temps.
We set a record this week with 80* F but back into the 40's now.

I'm trying to keep a promise to myself this year to not plant to early even though I have hoops. I haven't even bought any new seed yet. Our local Rural King store had their seed out in mid Jan.

I don't have any home made compost left so I'm going to wait til I find a sale on bagged compost to get started this year. I did save a huge pile of mulched leaves last fall and will start composting asap.  Buh bye for now..  happy hi
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/17/2018, 11:17 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Turan wrote:

cyclops  
Wow, Beetles, that seems really effort intensive!  Do you Love them?  I don’t.  They are good, but not a love of mine.  My SIL makes a gratin with various root veggies, including parsnips, and it is wonderful.  But seems like work.
I think about it from the view point of being less effort than re-seeding. If I was growing more than a few squares I'd be more motivated to streamline my method for starting them. They aren't my favorite for eating, but I think they're in the top dozen. Once they've got a few leaves they're low maintenance: average watering, and no real bug problems... unlike my faves: winter squash, arugula, collards, and rutabaga.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/18/2018, 12:43 am

I have 12 squares I thought to do. The other thing in this bed will be a similar amount of carrots. As soon as the snow lets me I plan to cover the bed with black plastic to force an early flush of weed seeds to sprout. Then when ready, it being that the seed does not last, I might as well over seed the whole area. Then cover with a piece of black weed cloth that lets water through but still slows evaporation while warming the soil.

I do not usually compost a bed before planting root crops, they go all to leaves and not to roots. Maybe parsnips are the exception to this rule and could really use some nicely rotted sheep manure?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/20/2018, 1:43 am

Mr. Booker, I sent you a PM.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next