Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring Garden still going strong Toplef10Spring Garden still going strong 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring Garden still going strong I22gcj10Spring Garden still going strong 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring Garden still going strong Toplef10Spring Garden still going strong 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring Garden still going strong I22gcj10Spring Garden still going strong 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Spring Garden still going strong

+2
Chopper
Jay Bird
6 posters

Go down

Spring Garden still going strong Empty Spring Garden still going strong

Post  Jay Bird 9/30/2011, 10:02 am

Hard to believe it but we are still getting summer squash, jalapenos(gallon every two days) okra, cucumbers and bell peppers. The tomato's were trying to do something but dosent look lik eit will happen. We had a hard time deciding where to put the fall veggies due to the continuing production of the summer veggies, We did find space for collards, radish, lettuce, beets, we also have the greenhouse going well for fall tom's got 80 plants going almost 3 feet tall with blooms on most of them. this time I cut the amount of plants in half spaced them out and will allow for two branches tied up to a string fromm the rafters. we are transplanting some basil and other herbs in the empty spots so we will have fresh tom's and herbs on thanksgiving day.

I have had great response form the CSA/SFG flyers I printed, no one has subscribed yet but everyone is extremely interested.

Happy SF Gardening
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Spring Garden still going strong Empty Re: Spring Garden still going strong

Post  Chopper 9/30/2011, 5:22 pm

I had that problem too! hard to clear out a square because the plant was still producing!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 9/30/2011, 5:58 pm

Yea, I have a couple of eggplants and some peppers that I am pondering whether to go ahead and pull. The temps are going to get down into the 40s here for a few nights over the next couple of weeks, so they probably won't do much more. It is hard to pull them when they're still flowering, but let's face it, guys, there are sure worse problems to have! Very Happy

I'm not sure all of our gardening friends to the north of us are going to be feeling too terribly sorry for us!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/30/2011, 6:33 pm

sherryeo wrote:Yea, I have a couple of eggplants and some peppers that I am pondering whether to go ahead and pull. The temps are going to get down into the 40s here for a few nights over the next couple of weeks, so they probably won't do much more. It is hard to pull them when they're still flowering, but let's face it, guys, there are sure worse problems to have! Very Happy

I'm not sure all of our gardening friends to the north of us are going to be feeling too terribly sorry for us!
If the temps go to the 40s that wont kill your eggplant and you still have weeks of good weather ahead of you. If there are fruits on the plant now you may want to remove them and then the plant should put out new bloom. You may have one more harvvest to get out of them. But this late in the season, because they are such heavy feeders I would topdress with a few inches of compost and water well. Keep them watered and I bet you will get more fruit. Lucky, lucky you!! I wish I had a longer eggplant season Sad

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Spring Garden still going strong WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 9/30/2011, 7:10 pm

Al and I were just talking about the same thing this morning, trying to decide where to plant some Fall stuff with the Spring/Summer plants still doing so well! My Spaghetti Squash and Butternut Squash plants drying up. The actual squash-es looks pretty close to harvesting but they're still a bit green at the stems. The ends of the plants don't know that the base/roots are giving up! Those ends are still green, producing flowers that are setting, and climbing all over the box! It's really tough to haul something out that's working so hard to produce yummy stuff! Al planted some spinach on the far side of each of the squares of squash plants, hopefully as we pull out the squash we won't disturb too many of the new little spinach sprouts! The eggplant and pepper plants are just going crazy...not sure when they'll end! Most of the toms are close to the end, except for a few that just won't quit...nice, but hey, this is just about October...! We're still in the 90s, with low 60s for night temps...but the first rain of the season may arrive as early as next weekend...could be in for some quick changes! I guess the weather will decide when we change our gardens from Summer to Fall, eh?? Smile
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 9/30/2011, 7:21 pm

Ok, camp, sounds good. I didn't think the eggplant would continue to set fruit once it started getting much colder than 70s at night, but I'm still learning. I'd love to keep being able to get more harvests. I'll see how long they can hang on.

Thanks!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/30/2011, 10:56 pm

affraid
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down