Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 Toplef10Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 I22gcj10Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 Toplef10Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 I22gcj10Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Two New Weather Announcements..

+4
capatl
FarmerValerie
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Two New Weather Announcements..

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/2/2011, 3:52 pm

Lee has finally been named and is strengthening further. However, it looks like the system sweeping across the northern US is going to pick him up and take him with it. Rain maker for New Orleans up through eastern TN. After that, we'll have to see how much moisture the former Lee has left. Could be a threat to more flooding in the northeast, but we'll have to wait and watch.

Katia is also looking more and more like she will turn out to sea. Coincidentally, in the same system that carries Lee off. The east coast of the US, Bermuda, and the Canadian Maritimes still need to watch Katia, but she isn't much of a threat at the moment. The one reason to watch her is because the weather pattern is still a bit precarious. If a ridge of high pressure builds over southern Canada and blocks the deepening of the sweeping system cutting across the US currently, Katia could miss her ride and slip south....well, due west really. That would increase the chances of a landfall somewhere in the CONUS.

Have a great weekend. If things get out of hand, I'll post some updates. But, if things maintain the status quo, I may not say much of anything.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Two New Weather Announcements.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Two New Weather Announcements..

Post  capatl 9/2/2011, 9:49 pm

From the looks of Lee thus far, GA will get some much needed rain, but not too much. Hope everyone stays safe and fares well. Smile
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 9/3/2011, 1:20 pm

Looks like Lee is going to make landfall ahead of schedule because that trough moved in and deepened quicker than expected, too. That's good news because LA and MS don't need 20 inches of rain in a weekend. 2 or 3 would have been fine.

Katia looks like she may not become a major hurricane because of the winds shearing her off from the west. That also will serve to recurve her out to sea on the track we've been talking about.

After this stuff clears out, it looks like the tropics will take a break for a week or so. The air just won't be conducive to development. Also, the waters have cooled a smidge by the passing of Irene and Katia.

After the 15th, though, look for something to possibly kick up south of Cuba. This is a very long range idea, but the air will recharge down there. Air over the central US will also be cool and dense allowing higher pressures to build and escape southwards. That air will bump into the rising air over the southern Caribbean and prime the pump so to speak. If a tropical wave gets in there from Africa, we could have something to talk about in 2 weeks. But, again, that's a long shot right now.

Just remember, the tropics are only half over on September 10th. We still have a long way to go this year.....and we have made it to "L." Over the past 100, an average year makes it about H or J. Only 2005 (Katrina's year) was on a faster pace....and not by much. And, we ran out of letters in the alphabet that year, if you remember.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 9/3/2011, 2:52 pm

I'm on the Mississippi Coast. We're experiencing a miserable day courtesy of Lee - much rain, windy and currently have tornado warnings out here in my area - Pascagoula/Moss Point/Escatawpa in Jackson County. Right now it looks like the rain will probably be the worst problem and could continue for several days.

DH had to go in to work at 1 p.m. He came back to the house & said not to go down the street toward the west because it is flooded. Needless to say, I don't want to get out in this unless necessary.

I can see my sfgs from the window and the plants I have left - southern peas, eggplants and a few scraggly tomatoes & peppers, appear to be taking quite a beating from the heavy, constant rain and the wind. I hope my eggplants will not be hurt too much because I had small eggplants growing well and many more blossoms. I'd hate to lose the eggplants!

Just my luck - temps finally down into the 80s, but such bad weather I can't get out and plant anything! I think this will just be a bad storm, though, and won't be anything that causes any extensive damage. Thank goodness.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 9/12/2011, 9:32 am

Those of you who got rain (not flooding) from Lee, count your blessings. While the upper New England got flooding and tornados, Texas got lower temps, lower humidity, and HIGH winds, which is what contributed to the addition of over another 1 million acres burned over the last week. Now, people who lost homes here in East TX are having to stand guard over thier burnt homes because looters are digging through the rubble, grabbing anything and everything (including copper wiring) they can. Those who did have insurance, which is not many, probably did not have wild fire insurance, just "house fire" which means they won't get help from the insurance company. I say if you got high winds, and rain, and little damage, count your blessings.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum