Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? Toplef10Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? I22gcj10Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? Toplef10Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? I22gcj10Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum?

+2
littlejo
Nonna.PapaVino
6 posters

Go down

Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? Empty Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum?

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/12/2011, 5:02 pm

Garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum (not the woody huckleberries found in the forest), is a member of the nightshade family. This spring I planted seed from Seed Savers Exchange, and transplanted six of them to the part of the garden still in rows. Much to my amazement and delight, they appear to have done well, and have set some nice fruit, some of which is turning black. I'd love to hear what others know of these berries, and glean some recipes you've found successful. Thanks, Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? Empty Re: Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum?

Post  littlejo 8/13/2011, 3:22 pm

I got some seed when I ordered something from a flower cat. I did not get them planted. Is it a type of fruit? Have you tasted yet? Maybe some jelly if you have enough?

Jo

Last edited by littlejo on 8/13/2011, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell check needed!)
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum? Empty Re: Anyone growing garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum?

Post  Goosegirl 8/13/2011, 3:39 pm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/1983-03-01/garden-huckleberries.aspx

Here's a link I thought had some good tips. I have wanted to try these berries for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe next year I will do it!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/13/2011, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the site, G.G. I knew I'd read a good article about the huckleberries somewhere some time ago, but could not remember where. I shall re-peruse it. Would still like to hear from some of y'all with hands-on experience with them. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 8/23/2011, 7:47 am

Hi,
I grew garden huckleberries last year. The berries did well but I was unimpressed with the fruit. I had awful flea beetle problems! Anyways you can treat them like blueberries. Enjoy.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/23/2011, 9:19 pm

Thanks, Patty, for the info. Unimpressed, huh? How did you use them? Were they just not that tastey, or what? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 8/23/2011, 10:48 pm

The birds enjoyed the berries much more than I did. I let them have at. I did save a lot of seeds, should I decide to grow them again. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/23/2011, 11:29 pm

Hmmmm, Patti, I'd not considered bird netting until getting your post. Haven't seen any feathered friends hanging around the bushes, and a lot of the berries are just now blackening up nicely. thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can do to save the crop for us to try, then if they aren't good enough to freeze/can, we can let the birds have them. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/4/2012, 9:23 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Hmmmm, Patti, I'd not considered bird netting until getting your post. Haven't seen any feathered friends hanging around the bushes, and a lot of the berries are just now blackening up nicely. thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can do to save the crop for us to try, then if they aren't good enough to freeze/can, we can let the birds have them. Nonna

Nonna - How did your garden huckleberries turn out? What did you think of them? I have seeds for them on the way. From what I have read, they are to be eaten only after being cooked and sweetened.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/4/2012, 9:29 pm

We didn't love them. Having said that, perhaps we did something wrong in the preparation, there are different ways of fixing them. For whatever reason, I'm inclined to taste bitterness that, say, PapaVino does not. the bitter in the garden huckleberries put me off. We may grow them again this year, because they were very, VERY generous with their seeds, and the fool things are coming up everywhere! Garden has been expanded, so I may save a couple of bushes to give them another try. Good luck with yours, and keep us posted as to your success or whatever:lol: . Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/4/2012, 9:31 pm

Post script, GG, our Pacific Northwest birds are not sophisticated enough to eat the garden huckleberries, so netting was a non issue. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/4/2012, 9:37 pm

Thanks Nonna! I look forward to trying them. If we do not have an issue with the bitterness, I think these will be a good thing for one of the new boxes by my herb bed. There they can resow themselves all they want and not interfere with my veggie boxes.

PS - I was just reading about when to harvest, and the article I read says they are not ripe until they change from shiny black to dull black. Also, flavor is improved when left until after a light frost.

GG

Last edited by Goosegirl on 6/4/2012, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/4/2012, 10:08 pm

we found the bitter got sweeter if left on the plant longer......

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/4/2012, 10:23 pm

Okay, folks, I'll definitely leave three garden huckleberry seedlings to grow and produce another crop. This time, I'll let them produce past September in hopes of getting a sweeter berry. Thanks to y'all, Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/31/2012, 6:00 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Garden huckleberries, solanum melanocerasum (not the woody huckleberries found in the forest), is a member of the nightshade family.
I'd love to hear what others know of these berries,
Thanks, Nonna
Yes, Grampa (& most other families) grew them in Germany, and they are soo good, provided you
Pick them only after they have turned black, & are no longer glossy/shiny, AND the fruits begin to soften.
Not ever eaten raw, you cook & sweeten them, like 1+part sugar to 4 parts berries.
The cooking softens them more, so it's almost like a Fruit-syrup, in pies, over pancakes, etc. - Yum, soo good Very Happy

LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/31/2012, 6:45 am

I planted some this spring and not a single one sprouted! I will try again next year...

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/31/2012, 4:45 pm

Thank you, LittleGardner, for the info. I think I tried the berries from our bushes too soon last year. This year, I have several coming and will try again. Could be the variety we grew isn't one of the tastiest. We'll see.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/31/2012, 5:42 pm

I have 1 very large bush growing, lots of black berries on but are still shiny. I tried 1 once they turned black, will wait til the shine is gone! I hope they turn out ok, but 1 plant is all that made it.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum