Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 Toplef10POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I22gcj10POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 Toplef10POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I22gcj10POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

POLL: What region are you in?

+20
Kelejan
shannon1
chexmix
westie42
jymarino
FamilyGardening
Nonna.PapaVino
camprn
boffer
Goosegirl
JC Moses
Blackrose
Grandma'sBoys
walshevak
busygirl
BackyardBirdGardner
PNG_Grandma
littlejo
sherryeo
middlemamma
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What region are you in?

POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 9 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap7%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 10 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap7%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 10 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 7 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap11%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 15 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 16 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap23%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 23% 
[ 32 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap2%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap3%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 9 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 7 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap4%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 8 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 139

POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: What region are you in?

Post  boffer 7/7/2011, 7:43 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote: I hear it's still raining in your neck of the woods.

In another month or so, it'll be real easy living in the 'Evergreen State' of Washington, and not so much so in the brown, dusty, dry, and hot flyover states!

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 Empty POLL: What region are you in?

Post  sherryeo 7/7/2011, 9:17 pm

Could it be that some of the regions are just geographically larger than others and that might help account for their being more members from those regions? (Serious question, not trying to enter into the "war of words" betwixt BBG & Boffer - I'm not up to that kind of challege!) lol!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/7/2011, 9:34 pm

sherryeo wrote:Could it be that some of the regions are just geographically larger than others and that might help account for their being more members from those regions? (Serious question, not trying to enter into the "war of words" betwixt BBG & Boffer - I'm not up to that kind of challege!) lol!

I think you have a valid argument about size. But as we get closer to the dog days of summer, and forum participation starts to decline just as it has the past two years, I'm confident I speak for BBG as well, when I suggest that you pick up a cow patty and toss it around! All talk about gardening makes BBG a dull boy!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/7/2011, 9:41 pm

Boffer, in Texas they have cow pie sailing competitions (I won't even go into what a sail cat is). In Western Oregon, said pie would have to be scooped up with gloves and lobbed before it ran down our arms. Different weather, different growing, different traditions. But good food is universal, and home grown is universally the best, however we do it. BTW, how is your king carrot coming along? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/7/2011, 9:54 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Boffer, ...BTW, how is your king carrot coming along? Nonna

(Shhhh Given our cool spring, I'm probably going to get my butt kicked! Wink )
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 7/7/2011, 11:38 pm

Boffer said:

But as we get closer to the dog days of summer, and forum participation starts to decline just as it has the past two years, I'm confident I speak for BBG as well, when I suggest that you pick up a cow patty and toss it around!

Huh? POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 601593
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix 7/8/2011, 12:15 am

I'm in the coastal/tropical south. These very hot days are keeping me inside as much as possible. However, I still have lots of peppers, tomatoes, purple hull peas, strawberries and peanuts grwoing and wanting my attention.

Lots of people garden around here they just do it one ROW at a time instead of one square at a time. I keep trying to convert them but some dogs refuse to learn new tricks, even the great ones.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 7/8/2011, 1:06 am

Come on C&T South I know there are more than 7 of us, stand up and be counted. Thanks Middlemomma for creating this poll.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/8/2011, 10:37 am

sherryeo wrote:Boffer said:

But as we get closer to the dog days of summer, and forum participation starts to decline just as it has the past two years, I'm confident I speak for BBG as well, when I suggest that you pick up a cow patty and toss it around!

Huh? POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 601593

As the gardening seasons die off, and there is less to talk about, learn, and question, I will get bored when the casual gardeners disappear. Therefore, I will start tossing cowpatties and talking more smack out of sheer boredom. When you see me posting more often in "Everything else," you will know that Boffer and I are starving for entertainment. That's when the fun really begins!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 7/8/2011, 7:14 pm

Thanks, BBG! I honestly didn't have a clue what that meant! I mean, I know what a cow patty toss is, but I was just a bit afraid I may have offended Boffer and he was telling me where to get off!

I love the sparring and verbal banter amongst the forum members and find it highly entertaining! It sure livens things up. This is still my first year on the forum and I guess I never stopped to think that folks would stop posting for a while after their gardening season ends. That's a bit of a bummer.

This has become just about my favorite part of the day - when I can settle back after work, relax and see what's going on in the forum! Very Happy
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/8/2011, 8:03 pm

sherryeo wrote:...I was just a bit afraid I may have offended Boffer and he was telling me where to get off!...
Silly words anyhow! I was inviting you to throw some B.S. around and...oh well...hit me when I least expect it![/quote]

sherryeo wrote:
This is still my first year on the forum and I guess I never stopped to think that folks would stop posting for a while after their gardening season ends. That's a bit of a bummer.
It can be; it's also a time to get to know more about one another as humor and brainstorming tend to free flow when there's no pressure to stay on a gardening topic.

One of the things I do is take a snapshot of the index page on the first of every month for historical records. (It sounds good; I don't know if anyone will ever use them!) If you look at the bottom of the forum index page (homepage) you can see who has been online in the last 24 hours. Without even counting, you can tell about participation. Here are the min and max days (on the first of the month) since the new forum started.

Janurary 2011
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 81210

June 2011
POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 81310

We've probably peaked for the year, and participation will continue to dwindle through the holidays.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/8/2011, 8:15 pm

sherryeo wrote:Thanks, BBG! I honestly didn't have a clue what that meant! I mean, I know what a cow patty toss is, but I was just a bit afraid I may have offended Boffer and he was telling me where to get off!

I speak from experience when I say Boffer will come at you in PMs, your other posts, and various ways when you really get him riled. Honestly, that's the fun. If you can take it, please start dishing it. This place is full of such fun people that smack talk among regular posters is welcomed imo.

sherryeo wrote:I love the sparring and verbal banter amongst the forum members and find it highly entertaining! It sure livens things up. This is still my first year on the forum and I guess I never stopped to think that folks would stop posting for a while after their gardening season ends. That's a bit of a bummer.

I don't know why it stops. Hopefully, we have enough people on here that they will come around in the winter for inspiration, banter, and just plain fun because they know something is going on....even if it's winter.

sherryeo wrote:This has become just about my favorite part of the day - when I can settle back after work, relax and see what's going on in the forum! Very Happy

Mine, too! I hope more people make it a habit to jump in and get to talking even when things aren't growing in the gardens. I consider a lot of you eFriends. Sure, we may not have met, but we still sort of know each other. And, I think that's kind of cool. (Not that I'm giving any of you Christmas gifts....lol. That would get expensive!!) Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 7/8/2011, 8:26 pm

Ha! Well, I might try to throw a funny in there every once in a while, but I know I'm no challenge for some of the folks on here with that dry, slightly sarcastic humor that I love so much (not mentioning any names here to protect the not-so-innocent)! That's kind of the way folks in my family have teased each other over the years, so that kind of humor makes me feel right at home - when I can figure out what's meant, lol!

Yea, the January 2011 forum member listings are back in the bad old days before I joined! But there I am listed on the June listing! I think the only days I've missed were when I was gone for a few days to Charleston, SC for a big genealogy conference in May - work related, since I work in a library genealogy and local history department. And the library paid for everything! But I did miss my garden and the forum while I was gone.

So now I will just HAVE to tune in during the months to come to see what mischief you guys concoct! bounce

BBG, you posted while I was typing this - if you change your mind about the Christmas gifts, I could use more sfg boxes!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 7/9/2011, 3:06 am

Last fall and winter were not terrible...I expect this winter to be an improvement still...we should have plenty to talk about what with fall gardens and seed starting and catalogs with seeds!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/9/2011, 4:42 am

Being one of those N&C Midwesterners, I plan on blabbing straight through until next Spring!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/9/2011, 8:19 am

I joined in Oct of last year and babbled, ran ideas past folks, and finally got a spring garden going. The chance to think "out loud" on the forum is a great way to a) get imput before commiting to a plan, or b) get confirmation that you are not as dumb as you may think. I hope to keep babbeling all through the winter.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/9/2011, 10:33 am

Even when our gardening season is over and the snow is four feet deep, I think this will be a good place to come and I look forward to it.

I have really enjoyed my few months here. POLL: What region are you in? - Page 2 411499
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 7/9/2011, 5:04 pm

I'm in the southwest corner of Ohio.
Edited to add: I'm stickin around thru the winter. You all crack me up. I might not ask alot of questions but that is because my searches in this forum have an answer somewhere. I just searched Kohlrabi and I'm now adding it to this years fall season.

BBG- Midwest Rules, along with OSU!!!! LOL

Last edited by madnicmom on 7/9/2011, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add content)
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 7/10/2011, 4:51 am

Speaking of recreationally challenged were you all aware that our Iowa state fair features a cow chip tossing contest and a hog calling contest, horse shoeing and mule jumping too. The winners man and beast alike get appearances on prime time TV. The big boar contest winner could feed RMO’s alone to a hungry crowd. The butter cow is sculptured from nearly 600 lb of butter unfortunately the lady that started it in 1960 just died at 81. We go to great lengths to bring you the finest in midwest entertainment as you can see. http://i.huffpost.com/gen/298849/thumbs/r-BUTTER-COW-LADY-large570.jpg Oh after the recent NCAA adjustment what is The OSU football record from last season, thanks coach Tressel.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom 7/11/2011, 11:28 am

jymarino wrote:I am in zone 6A, in St Louis MO. I don't know how many of us are on the board. I know BBG is in STL but haven't actually run across anyone else.

Happy gardening!

I am also in STL. Lately I have seen a number of us posting here. Always happy to meet another gardener in my hometown.
extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/11/2011, 12:01 pm

Other regions are catching up. That's good to see. I knew there were more here than initially showed. However, I will still claim the Midwest has the passion. We posted super early in this poll! (Just wouldn't be right if I didn't toss some more smack!)

As for this winter, I expect an improvement, too. I see too many regulars participating now to think we will drop way off. And, I like that. I think losing touch over the winter would just make me sad.

Hey, up north-uns, the heat index down here was 115° yesterday. And, it's already 94° legit air temp at 11am. Don't think I'll be setting fruits today. I would say I can't compete with the lower south on most days, but this week, the STL can compete with any one of you.

Now, how do we make it go away?
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/11/2011, 1:25 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
Now, how do we make it go away?

Lower South:
Temp:95 Heat index 115
I see no relief in sight, so to make it go away

Think ahead! Winter gardens and SNOW!
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 7/11/2011, 2:03 pm

Cincy area - 2pm EST Temps 93, Heat index 104. Come on Sept, you can't come fast enough.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 7/11/2011, 2:19 pm

This is when I love where I live.
Yea the winter was long, and the spring never ended it seemed...but it's July 11th and I'm looking out my window at 75, sunny and beautiful!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/11/2011, 9:39 pm

830pm and still 92° with a heat index of 110°! Sun has set for crying out loud! Tonight's low is only supposed to drop to 83°. Now, that is just stupid summertime stuff.

It's that darned summertime high pressure that likes to set up over the southeast. But, this year it's been over the deep south and southern plains. I feel for the people in Texas and Oklahoma. I said it before, and I'll say it again....the only thing that changes this pattern this year is the hurricane season and a near landfall. With as far west, though, as the high has set up, it will likely take a landfalling hurricane somewhere in the western Gulf to suck that high out of here for awhile. To make matters worse, the longer the tropical season goes without a landfall, the worse our chances get in the western Gulf. June, July and early August are the best shots for development in those areas. After that, we see the Outer Banks and points south take the brunt of the action.

I may have to start doing my rain dance soon.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next