Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash Bugs! Toplef10Squash Bugs! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash Bugs! I22gcj10Squash Bugs! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash Bugs! Toplef10Squash Bugs! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash Bugs! I22gcj10Squash Bugs! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Squash Bugs!

5 posters

Go down

Squash Bugs! Empty Squash Bugs!

Post  Davanna Driggers 6/28/2011, 9:49 pm

Any organic solutions to stop squash bugs in their tracks? Other than squashing them.

Also my mom says her squash made three actual squash and quit. Any ideas what's up with that?
Davanna Driggers
Davanna Driggers

Female Posts : 29

http://www.faithvisionministries.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Squash Bugs! Empty Re: Squash Bugs!

Post  duhh 6/28/2011, 11:33 pm

I haven't found anything yet. I even caught some and tried to kill them with different things and it didn't work. We tried soapy water spray, strong pepper spray made from jalepenos, Rubbing alcohol, and vinegar. They didn't seem to like any of it, but none killed them. Finally my nephew just smashed them. I have been going out and picking them off the vines and squashing them. Also finding all thier eggs on the leaves.

The nursery had some sprays that had to be sprayed directly on the bug to kill them. I figured if I had to do that, I might as well just grab them and kill them rather than spray chemicals. I do wear gloves though because they creep me out!

Good luck. They already got my summer squash, but my huge pumpkin is still hanging in there!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 7/28/2011, 5:38 pm

Shakley Basic H, My neighbor saw my plant with lots of little young hatchlings and adults crawling all over my zuk and offered some Basic H, I was skeptical but she told me she has been using it for years and it does the job on contact, aphids too. Don't mix to strong just enough to suds after shaking because more than that will harm the plant. Now I am a believer and will buy my own bottle of Basic H. That's my hot tip on squash bugs.
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 7/28/2011, 6:36 pm

Ooh, I thank you for the hot tip too. Any further clarification on "not too much"? I don't do well without a recipe...
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 7/31/2011, 6:59 pm

OK maybe I jumped the gun on this one, I have been spraying and spraying these squash bugs with Basic H and they seem to fall and die but maybe their just stund because I don't seem to really get rid of them. I am going to catch some and spray them to observe and just see if they die or are just stunned. I am sorry for announcing that Basic H works to kill squash bugs before I really took a good look at what was really going on. I know everyone would like a simple way to treat the problem organically and I thought my neighbor was on to something but now I am not sure. From now on I will try to scientifically prove something before I go and announce a discovery. My apologies until further notice.
outsideasy

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 8/1/2011, 3:17 pm

Look everywhere for the eggs. I have found them on my grape vines, basil, swiss chard, water melon! These guys are driving me nuts! Good new is I haven't found an adult for 3 days... hopefully its not because they are getting smarter. . . .
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 8/5/2011, 9:36 pm

Ok, I captured some adult squash bugs and put them in a fisherman's wire cricket cage so I could spray them all over 360 degrees. They died. I have been spraying my squash plant with Basic H and they seem to die but then there would be more bugs the next day so I thought it wasn't working. After several days of spraying there were less of them. Now I can only find one squash bug after searching every nook and cranny so I believe that I have found a real organic remedy for controlling squash bugs and aphids. My neighbor is an old-time farm girl in her early 70's and she has used Basic H for cleaning store bought vegies and killing aphids and squash bugs for years so it isn't new, just new to me but I can tell you it works. As for mixing I would start with a 1/2 tsp per gallon, shake and observe for suds, if no bubbles and suds add a little more and shake, as soon as sudsy bubbles appear it is enough Basic H (according to my neighbor). That's all the instructions I have just add enough Basic H until you see suds. I would welcome any rebuttal as I stand by this information.
outsideasy

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 8/11/2011, 3:49 pm

I have to bring this up again because of the results after spraying another gardener's aphid infested squash plant and I am thrilled with the results after one spraying of Basic H. I am not a Shakley representative just a friend of a long time Shakley user. This gardener is away and her squash plant was covered with aphid, top to bottom, I mean really covered, wilting, and on its way out. I took it upon myself to spray it as I figured it would be dead before she returned so yesterday 8/10/11 I used about 1/2 of a full gallon sprayer of the Basic H and water mixture. This morning the plant looks alive again. I wish I had been far sighted enough to take a before and after photo, from sick and wilting looking almost ready to die to springy and alive the next day, amazing for a soap and even more amazing that it did take care of a bad infestation of squash bugs on my squash. Here is an organic method of controlling aphid and squash bugs, my gift of information to the SFG forum.
outsideasy

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/25/2011, 7:38 pm

What the heck is Basic H. I did a google search on Basic H and got nothing. Tried google search for Shakley and got nothing that would relate to your post. Then did a google search on Shaklee Basic H and found the website for Shaklee products. Searched their website for uses of Basic H and found one for pesticides. It said to use a few drops of Basic H2 in a spray bottle. Is this the same product you are referring to. Should I try Basic H or Basic H2. Can you buy this in a grocery store or do you have to order it from Shaklee online.

Thanks
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum