Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! Toplef10I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! I22gcj10I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! Toplef10I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! I22gcj10I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers!

2 posters

Go down

I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! Empty I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers!

Post  Bec 6/24/2011, 11:45 am

I went out yesterday evening and one of my acorn squash plants have a vine with squash shriveling and the leaves were turning black. I've never had to deal with squash vine borers before but after some internet research, yes that's what's going on. I just went out and found an adult on one of the leaves with larvae still attached and killed it. I dug into the base of the plant with a knife where there was "saw dust" and found a larvae. Took it out, killed it, and put it in the trash. Covered Dug around some more and might have found another larvae, not sure if it was that or just sap but I got rid of it too anyway. I covered the bottom of the plant back up with a mound of MM (I read to do that to protect the plant from sap coming out and maybe new roots will grow there), fertilized (which I don't normally do) and watered. Then checked the rest of the plants and found another adult on a leave that still have larvae attached. Took that bug off and smashed it on the ground. I hope that was all I needed to do. I'll have to start once or twice a day hunts now for the monsters. And I start a new job next week so will have to make the time. I also read that you if you have squash vine borer one year that you can't plant squash there (or around there) next year either. So I'll have to make a note on my "garden map" about that.

I also have a yellow pear tomato plant that is wilting, including blossoms. We've had rain so I know it isn't from no water so I put some fertilizer around the base of it and then poured some fish emulsion over the plant (never done anything with fish emulsion before - hope I'm doing it right), then watered a little bit. I really hope that takes care of the problem. I used existing soil in a pot for that plant but added MM and egg shells before I planted. Maybe I didn't get enough MM in it. I have no idea what the problem is. I took a couple of pictures to show here but haven't been able to figure how to load them on yet. I'll work on getting a picture up here if the fertilizer doesn't work.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! Empty Re: I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers!

Post  Furbalsmom 6/26/2011, 1:18 pm

Bec,

If I use a pot of MM that has been used before, I always add compost before I put a new plant in the used MM.

If I use a pot that has another planting mix (soil?) I have added MM to fill the pot, but make sure I add at least 6 to 8 inches of MM to give the plant enough pure MM to grow in.

Check this link with Boffer's instructions for adding pictures currently stored on your computer to your post HOW TO POST PICTURES

So sorry you have had to fight the dreaded SVB, sounds like you have done the right things.

Good Luck!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers! Empty Re: I'm on the warpath - squash vine borers!

Post  Bec 6/27/2011, 9:09 am

I did add several scoops of MM to the pot. Since I did the fish emulsion treatment and fertilized the plant continuese to die. There must be something wrong with it besides nutrients. Sad But I AM finding that the few Sun Gold tomatoes (cherry type) that have ripened taste MUCH better than the yellow pear. So, although I'd have liked the yellow pear to have survived, I've still got some excellent tomatoes growing on other plants. Just wish I knew what the problem was so I'd know if it was just the plant, something I did to it, and if I can re-use the soil next year. Maybe I'll try growing something extra in it (something I won't mind losing) for my fall garden and see what happens.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/27/2011, 7:29 pm

Maybe I'll try growing something extra in it (something I won't mind losing) for my fall garden and see what happens.
That should at least let you know if it is specifically the growing medium or if the plant itself was the issue.

Good Luck
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum