Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Toplef10Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes I22gcj10Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Toplef10Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes I22gcj10Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Steves first SFG
by sanderson Today at 5:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:06 am

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by sanderson 11/25/2021, 6:23 pm

» Kombucha
by anabelarto 11/25/2021, 9:34 am

» Happy Thanksgiving 2021!
by sanderson 11/25/2021, 1:21 am

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 11/25/2021, 12:24 am

» The SFG Journey-Johnson Su Bioreactor for composting, No turning
by has55 11/25/2021, 12:19 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 11/23/2021, 4:03 am

» Hi from Las Vegas
by OhioGardener 11/22/2021, 11:35 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson 11/21/2021, 9:39 pm

» N&C Midwest—November/December 2021
by Scorpio Rising 11/21/2021, 12:31 pm

» Another hello, Australia - Perth
by Simso 11/20/2021, 7:47 pm

» Anyone grow okra?
by sanderson 11/18/2021, 10:44 pm

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing July to December 2021
by Kelejan 11/18/2021, 9:46 pm

» Closing beds for winter
by sanderson 11/18/2021, 2:30 am

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 11/18/2021, 2:28 am

» Where food comes from - a Poem
by Yardslave 11/17/2021, 11:23 am

» Fitness Trackers/Fitbit Users
by martinjery 11/15/2021, 9:29 am

» 2021 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 11/14/2021, 8:42 pm

» November: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by sanderson 11/14/2021, 1:53 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 11/14/2021, 1:45 pm

» N&C Midwest — October 2021
by sanderson 11/14/2021, 1:25 pm

» Hello from the UK
by yolos 11/13/2021, 11:05 pm

» can you identify this insect
by sanderson 11/12/2021, 11:46 pm

» Ladybug, ladybug
by sanderson 11/12/2021, 8:37 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by sanderson 11/12/2021, 3:55 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson 11/11/2021, 9:29 pm

» Hello from West Palm Beach, FL
by dstack 11/11/2021, 12:27 pm

» Potato growing
by OhioGardener 11/4/2021, 7:41 am

» The SFG Journey: The Origins of Compost
by has55 11/4/2021, 2:11 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

4 posters

Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  jhayford 6/20/2011, 11:20 pm

http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-pizza-sauce/

http://onceamonthmom.com/marinara-sauce-a-la-seaton/

I am sure that someone has a dough recipe or already has posted but dough isn't my thing lol.

Enjoy.
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 46
Location : Lenanon, Tn zone 6b

Back to top Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Re: Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  walshevak 6/21/2011, 12:44 pm

@jhayford wrote:http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-pizza-sauce/

http://onceamonthmom.com/marinara-sauce-a-la-seaton/

I am sure that someone has a dough recipe or already has posted but dough isn't my thing lol.

Enjoy.

Long before frozen or premade pizza shells were available, 1959, we used boxed hot roll mix. Made great pizza dough. Only problem was, it made 3 big pizzas

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4373
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 78
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

Back to top Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Re: Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  moswell 6/21/2011, 1:07 pm

America's Test Kitchen had an amazing recipe for a basic tomato sauce that I use regularly. The recipe is of course based off of canned tomatoes, but I'm sure it would be even better with home-grown tomatoes.

Shred 1/3 cup of white/yellow onion (as in, grate it on a grater). Saute the onion in 2 tbsp of butter (butter brings out the sweetness of the onion). Once the onion begins to brown, add 28 oz of crushed tomatoes, a bit of oregano, and just a little sugar (maybe 1/2 tsp or so). Let simmer for about fifteen minutes to reduce. After it's reduced and nice and thick, take off heat and add some fresh basil and 1 tbsp or so of good extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

I tell you, it's an amazing sauce and very easy (at least from a can). I reckon if you're processing a bunch of tomatoes anyway, it would still be easy. It freezes nicely - I use my foodsaver to vacuum seal it.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366
Join date : 2011-04-28
Age : 45
Location : Delaware County, PA

Back to top Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Re: Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  Goosegirl 6/21/2011, 7:22 pm

I love this sauce idea (I love my America's Test Kitchen cookbooks!) - I already run my onions through the food processor to freeze, so they are already 'grated'! I will have to give this one a try this year.

For the pizza crust, The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook has a fantastic Deep Dish Pizza crust recipe. It has potatoes in the crust which add moisture and make it SO TENDER! I just looked, and the same cookbook has the sauce recipe, so I am SET!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 56
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

Back to top Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Re: Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  moswell 6/21/2011, 9:31 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:I love this sauce idea (I love my America's Test Kitchen cookbooks!) - I already run my onions through the food processor to freeze, so they are already 'grated'! I will have to give this one a try this year.

For the pizza crust, The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook has a fantastic Deep Dish Pizza crust recipe. It has potatoes in the crust which add moisture and make it SO TENDER! I just looked, and the same cookbook has the sauce recipe, so I am SET!

GG

Around here I can buy frozen (and sometimes fresh) dough at the supermarket, and I'm not a big fan of Deep Dish! And normally I'm not a huge recipe follower, and ATK can be a little too, how shall I put it, anal, for me. Smile But that tomato sauce recipe is amazing, and I'm glad they included it in your cookbook. Trust me, if you like a sauce where the tomato flavor comes through, with a touch of sweetness, you'll love that sauce! Smile I only hope my Roma's survive my disaster that I get enough to make a fresh sauce myself.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366
Join date : 2011-04-28
Age : 45
Location : Delaware County, PA

Back to top Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Re: Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  Goosegirl 6/22/2011, 8:14 am

@moswell wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:I love this sauce idea (I love my America's Test Kitchen cookbooks!) - I already run my onions through the food processor to freeze, so they are already 'grated'! I will have to give this one a try this year.

For the pizza crust, The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook has a fantastic Deep Dish Pizza crust recipe. It has potatoes in the crust which add moisture and make it SO TENDER! I just looked, and the same cookbook has the sauce recipe, so I am SET!

GG

Around here I can buy frozen (and sometimes fresh) dough at the supermarket, and I'm not a big fan of Deep Dish! And normally I'm not a huge recipe follower, and ATK can be a little too, how shall I put it, anal, for me. Smile But that tomato sauce recipe is amazing, and I'm glad they included it in your cookbook. Trust me, if you like a sauce where the tomato flavor comes through, with a touch of sweetness, you'll love that sauce! Smile I only hope my Roma's survive my disaster that I get enough to make a fresh sauce myself.

Personally, I prefer thin crust as well, and the book has a recipe for that but I have never tried it because Hubby doesn't like 'crispy' things! I have never seen the show, but I love the cookbooks. My sister (who doesn't cook much) loves the show and loves to BUY cookbooks, buys the books and sends them to me because I LOVE to try new recipes! For me they are also just fun to read because I love to hear about the science behind why what they tried worked or didn't.

As for numbers, I have 14 tomato plants (and a few more volunteers I keep finding) so I should get enough tomatoes for at least ONE batch of sauce! Very Happy
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 56
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

Back to top Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Re: Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  moswell 6/22/2011, 10:24 am

True, the science behind it is fun, which is why I always liked Good Eats as well! And with 14+ plants, I would think you're certainly going to get tons more tomatoes than I am! Shocked
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366
Join date : 2011-04-28
Age : 45
Location : Delaware County, PA

Back to top Go down

Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes Empty Re: Bulk sauces for all those tomatoes

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum