Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Kids and sfg Toplef10Kids and sfg 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Kids and sfg I22gcj10Kids and sfg 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Kids and sfg Toplef10Kids and sfg 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Kids and sfg I22gcj10Kids and sfg 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Kids and sfg

+6
dstubbs
etherati
Kelejan
tabletopper
shannon1
jhayford
10 posters

Go down

Kids and sfg Empty Kids and sfg

Post  jhayford 6/19/2011, 2:26 am

My son has been watching me set up my boxes and asked if he could have his own garden. He is autistic so I try not to discourage him when something strikes his fancy. How would you set up a child with a box? Oh he want's to grow jack-o-lanterns. He "helps" me when I work on the garden. Just for help answering the question. He is 7 but emotionally and developmentally he is about 4-5 depending on the skill. Cognitively he is on par with any adult though lol. You should here the things he comes up with.
Sorry I babble
Jennifer
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Kids and sfg Empty Re: Kids and sfg

Post  shannon1 6/19/2011, 2:53 am

there is a great section in the book about it. Since you know your son best (I have never had children) I would suggest either giving him space in your garden or making a small box just for him and his pumpkins. Squash grow quickly and I have seen them recommened for young ones to grow. There are lots of parents here and I am sure they will be full of good advice for you.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Kids and sfg Empty Kids and SFG

Post  tabletopper 6/19/2011, 7:33 am

Childrens garden boxes should be no bigger than 3'x3' so they can reach easier.....
I teach a few from a local preschool.......if you can start with a few strawberry plants 4 to a sq...if they are still available....they love watching and waiting to pick them.& eating.....
Radishes is a fast sprouter.....not all like to eat them.....
Tomatoes....cherry or jelly bean...is a favorite...to pop into their mouths...
And of course a few flowers.....snapdragons are a favorite and sweet peas.....(sweet peas and tomatoes are vining and need support)
Enjoy with your son....
Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/19/2011, 10:50 am

I think it would be better to give him is own little box rather than being part of a larger bed. That is assuming he is not just a toddler. It will give him a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Just trying to remember how it was when I was a child. Very Happy I was very young, about four years old, and my first "garden" consisted of one potato that produced an enormous amount of potatoes and made me feel very proud that I had supplied pots for a couple of meals. There were five of us in the family at that time.

I am only hoping that the pots I planted this year will be as productive.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  etherati 6/19/2011, 12:00 pm

When I was a kid, my sister and I both had our own 2x2 squares sort of 'mickey mouse eared' onto the main box at the corners... the year I remember the most strongly, I grew miniature pumpkins and those crazy multicolored autumn gourds. They probably needed better support than they had, it was a viney mess! But it was a lot of fun. I remember going out there every day with anticipation, to see what new crazy stuff was growing and what was big enough to pick.
etherati

Back to top Go down

Post  dstubbs 6/19/2011, 12:11 pm

I started an SFG project at my daughter's daycare this spring. The kids (all aged 2-5) picked out their own veggies, started seedlings indoors, and just recently transplanted them outside (about 3 or 4 weeks ago). So far it's going well.

I just found a great book at the library called "How to Grow a School Garden: A Complete Guide for Parents and Teachers" by Arden Bucklin-Sporer and Rachel Kathleen Pringle (Timber Press 2010). I've only just started reading it, but if you can find a copy I'll bet it will give you some neat ideas you could work with.
dstubbs
dstubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 6/19/2011, 12:27 pm

Seeds of Change has some really cool varieties that my kids find fascinating: purple carrots, target-patterned beets, eggplant that makes fruit colored and shaped like easter eggs, etc.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  jbh29 6/19/2011, 2:23 pm

My kids have enjoyed watching seeds sprout in zip lock bags with a small piece of moist paper towel inside. It's an easy way to sprout seeds and can be watched daily to see the actual sprouting.

Then when it's time to plant you can pick the seed off the towel or even rip a piece of the towel to plant with the seed (if the sprout grew through the towel).
jbh29
jbh29

Female Posts : 133

Back to top Go down

Kids and sfg Empty Five Senses Garden

Post  MSJ 6/19/2011, 7:20 pm

I bet your son would love every aspect of a square foot garden from making Mel's Mix to figuring how many plants for each square. A garden could be his own quiet, peaceful spot.

I have an old gardening magazine from 1994 with an article about a teaching garden that featured a five senses garden with plants to see, touch, taste and smell. Sharon Lovejoy was the gardener and she has written several books with activities for children in the garden. I just ordered Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots on Amazon for $7.00. I teach Kindergarten and our new Science curriculum focuses on growing things. We are thinking of letting the children help plant a square foot garden.

Let us know how it works out with your son.
MSJ

Back to top Go down

Post  jhayford 6/19/2011, 8:01 pm

We went to lowes today for some garden stuff. He picked out some marigolds to plant with his pumpkins I read they keep the bugs away somewhere and told him so he insisted. I ordered the seeds of change cataloge (I am a page flipper for some things) and wanted to try the colorful carrots myself. I hope they are sweet. He also saw a half whiskey barrel he wanted to use but they are $40 bucks geez. Tuesday I told my bf to make him a 3 foot box so that we can get his punkin's in the ground soon. Thank you all for your opinions. This is the first thing besides cars that he has show interest in. He helped me mulch my flower beds today. He even pulled three weeds untill he figured out it was more fun to throw the mulch everywhere lol.
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/19/2011, 8:45 pm

jhayford wrote:My son has been watching me set up my boxes and asked if he could have his own garden. He is autistic so I try not to discourage him when something strikes his fancy. How would you set up a child with a box? Oh he want's to grow jack-o-lanterns. He "helps" me when I work on the garden. Just for help answering the question. He is 7 but emotionally and developmentally he is about 4-5 depending on the skill. Cognitively he is on par with any adult though lol. You should here the things he comes up with.
Sorry I babble
Jennifer

You made my day!!! My middle son, 9, is also autistic. He seems to be a bit farther down the scale than yours, but I understand completely when you try to accomodate any request....they are just so few and far between.

By all means, grow some danged pumpkins! Make your boxes large enough to get 3-4 plants going, imo. The last thing you want is to only plant one and have his beloved plant not fruit. He may understand, but my boy wouldn't. Maybe he will want some other things in there sometime.

It's so neat to hear about autistic children's passions when they appear. I'll be anxious to hear how this develops. Please update soon!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down