Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Toplef10SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious I22gcj10SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Toplef10SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious I22gcj10SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious

4 posters

Go down

SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Empty SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious

Post  TheVickster 6/10/2011, 8:56 pm

Well, despite the crazy weather around here (way too much rain, then hail, now heat), swarms of bugs (aphids, ants, bean beetles, and countless others yet to be identified), and rampant fungi (numerous baby plants have fallen victim to damping-off so far as I can tell) - the garden doesn't look to bad!

Last year my boyfriend and I decided to start small with just one box (in case the novelty wore off), and we quickly became hooked! This year we have 4 4'x4' boxes, a 1'x4' box with peas, and a 1'x4' box for potatoes.

Our little sprouts stare at the snow in disbelief. *ha* 3-30-11
SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Garde116

While my boyfriend works on the fence, 2 boxes are still warming up and 2 are planted. 4-30-11
SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Garde118

Just about finished! He did a great job constructing the boxes, fence, and gate. 6-1-11
SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Sfg_ga10

He even made little triangular flower boxes for each corner. 6-1-11
SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Sfg_ga11

I just couldn't resist a pic of the first lovely purple pea blossom! 6-1-11
SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious 1st_pe11

We love the pvc frames. They are so versatile. We use clear plastic to make mini greenhouses, old sheets for shade, and bird netting for . . . birds. Now if we could just get a little break from Mother Nature. In the next week or two we hope to have our heavy duty trellises!
TheVickster
TheVickster

Back to top Go down

SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious Empty Re: SFG Quadrupled! Now we're serious

Post  boffer 6/10/2011, 9:25 pm

My folks live near 18 and 21. I can't get them them interested in SFG for anything; not to mention TTs. They just recently got dry enough to rototill this past week.

I agree that everyone should have a few hoop houses to deal with the crazy weather we're having.

Hopefully, you'll have some seriously warm weather for your warm crops.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheVickster 6/15/2011, 12:57 pm

Wow, can't imagine they haven't converted yet! Although, it is a bit of work to get everything constructed, mixed, etc. And, it's not as if you're just down the road and available to help. *chuckle*

So, what are TT's? Table top?

I must admit - watering, pest monitoring, etc. are a bit more of a challenge with 4 boxes. My back feels the strain now and then. Don't get me wrong - still better than traditional row gardens by far. :!:

Watch what you say - we've had several days in the 90's already!! That's more like August weather . . .
TheVickster
TheVickster

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/15/2011, 1:41 pm

I used Boffer's ideas on Table Tops and you would not believe the difference. No stooping on the ground, no back pain, everything is where you can see it. I love them. Take a bit more time than a standard SFG bed, but to me, worth every second spent.

We in the PNW just don't get the heat like you do. We pray for 70 degrees and sunny.

Table Tops
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  scooter 6/15/2011, 5:46 pm

Garden looks great! Is that plastic fence (like for construction areas) used for trellis?? And - a 1x4 just for peas? Oh my.. we used 2 squares for peas and were starting to get too many (if thats even really possible...) Very Happy

Last edited by scooter on 6/15/2011, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad at reading)
scooter

Back to top Go down

Post  TheVickster 6/15/2011, 8:29 pm

Furbalsmom - thanks for the link - lots of great ideas there. I'll have to keep track of that somehow . . . after all the 'construction' this year I promised my boyfriend that I would try very hard to resist the urge to 'improve' the garden next year. *chuckle*

Scooter - Thanks for the compliment - I'll be sure to pass it along to my significant other! He always has a few good ideas mixed in with lots of muscle; I like to play 'designer' - lots of good ideas mixed in with a few tiny muscles. We make a good team. ; ]

Yep, our first two trellises from last year consisted of the green plastic stuff you see in the pea blossom pic (attached to small copper pipes with zip ties). It worked just fine for light plants like peas and tomatoes. We are adding 4 more, but this year we were able to find the nylon netting. I'm also planning to make the others with the metal electrical conduit (like in the book) so they will withstand the weight of melons and pumpkins.

Last year one square of sugar snaps just wasn't enough, so this year we have two plus two squares of blue podded blauwschokkers. I give the blue ones mixed reviews - they don't taste as good as the sugar snap, but boy do they LOOK amazing (both on the vine and on a salad)!

Springfield - I went to Wittenberg. Small world - no?

Whatcha got in your garden? =]
TheVickster
TheVickster

Back to top Go down

Post  scooter 6/15/2011, 10:11 pm

Wittenberg eh? I used to work there 2000-2003.

As for the garden... lets see... in no particular order:

Kale, Chives, Lemon Thyme, Summer Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, Oregano, Romaine Lettuce, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, Collards, Cauliflower, Sugar Snap Peas, Parsley, 3 types of beans, Swiss Chard, Shallots, Tomatillos, Peppers - bell and spicy of more types than I can remember, Tomatoes - way more types than I can remember, 3 types of Basil, 2 types of Cucumber, crookneck and patty pan squash, zucchini, nasturtiums, and marigolds.

So much for starting small the first year eh?

Most of that is in 3 4x4 SFG beds. We also have a "last minute" hole-in-the-ground bed for the squash/zucchini, and some peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers are growing in 5 gal buckets and 12" pots. Next year all will be moved to more SFG beds. And will probably do onions, potatoes, strawberries, and watermelon next year.
scooter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum