Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much room do I really need for corn? Toplef10How much room do I really need for corn? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much room do I really need for corn? I22gcj10How much room do I really need for corn? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much room do I really need for corn? Toplef10How much room do I really need for corn? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much room do I really need for corn? I22gcj10How much room do I really need for corn? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How much room do I really need for corn?

+2
BackyardBirdGardner
jymarino
6 posters

Go down

How much room do I really need for corn? Empty How much room do I really need for corn?

Post  jymarino 6/4/2011, 10:33 pm

My dd really likes corn, and theoretically I could plant some outside of the garden enclosure, right up against the fencing. The fence is about 16 feet long. The area I would be planting would be the north side of the fence. Is enough room to bother with the work of planting the corn? I can't afford to do a complete MM mix but can do a similar setup. Do animals usually bother new corn plants? Will I have to hand pollinate since I'll only have room for one long row? Thanks in advance for the help!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

How much room do I really need for corn? Empty Re: How much room do I really need for corn?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/4/2011, 11:20 pm

Someone will surely correct me, but I have a neighbor that has grown corn for years, and well, too. She tells me that you need 40 plants to successfully pollenate themselves without human intervention.

However, the year I tried corn, I did it her way and only got 3" ears. Oh, and because it takes so much, no offense to Mel, but I wouldn't be putting them in an SFG, either. I would likely grow them in plain old dirt somewhere along my back fence, too.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

How much room do I really need for corn? Empty Re: How much room do I really need for corn?

Post  walshevak 6/4/2011, 11:33 pm

a 4x4 square would pollinate better than a long row is what I've heard.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/4/2011, 11:39 pm

If you are in any kind of corn country you can see miles of it. No matter where you plant it some pollen will come form elsewhere. I used to just poke a seed here and there for kix and got enough for variety. This year I planted a regular row of it alternating short and long season kernels at 3" spacing. Not aware that there are any animals going to eat it until it has ripe ears then coon and deer could be a problem but that's mostly in rural fields.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/4/2011, 11:55 pm

Westie

So you just planted one long row, with different types of corn, and no rows next to it? I figure the worst thing that could happen is that it doesn't work. Will have to look into it some more. Maybe we'll just rip up the ground and pop some seeds in.

We can call it another adventure in horiculture. What a Face

:?: from dd
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/5/2011, 12:05 am

well yes I did but corn is everywhere around here and if it don't work it will be $3 a dozen on every street corner all summer long here in corn country. I think in my case the risk of sparse pollination and no results is remote.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/5/2011, 1:37 am

How much room? At one or two ears per square per season, it takes a lot of squares to feed a family. My opinion is that corn planted in a SFG is not a good investment. It's a lot cheaper to buy it at the Farmer's Market.

I have a 8x25 corn patch for two adults. Non-SFG. But I use the same 5 way compost blend that I use in my MM because corn is a heavy feeder. Every seed packet I've seen recommends planting in blocks rather than squares for germination purposes.

If you have an experiment in mind, go for it! Seeds are cheap!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/5/2011, 8:20 am

Boffer - I am trying a corn experiment - I will let you know how it goes. My strawberries did not survive as well as I had hoped (4 out of 25 lived - not their fault!) so I planted my Northern X-tra Sweet corn seeds over them and filled out the 4x3 box with them. It is not as large a block as it should be for good pollination, so I am going to hand-pollinate the silks to try for good solid ears. It is a really short season variety (67 days, needed here in the arctic!) so I should have results (g or b) in a short time!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down