Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants Toplef10Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants I22gcj10Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants Toplef10Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants I22gcj10Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants

5 posters

Go down

Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants Empty Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants

Post  Alarion 5/23/2011, 7:46 am

This is my first year attempting SFG, and as such, I started with some traditional rows this year. I tried getting some summer squash going because my wife loves them. The ones I direct-sowed in the rows are not sprouting at all.

When I was planning the squares with growveg.com's planner (same as at Jung's seed website, Jung is an affiliate for growveg.com) it takes up 4 whole squares. Yet it says I can plant 2 Cukes in a single square (I assume, if trellised). Pumpkin takes up a bit more.

Should I literally follow the spacing guidelines for SFG, which seems to be the case for most other plants? Or can you "get by" fudging it some? I assume for squash I really do need four squares per plant?
Alarion

Back to top Go down

Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants Empty Re: Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants

Post  Furbalsmom 5/23/2011, 2:40 pm

If you are growing bush type summer squash, the minimum, in my opinion is 4 sq ft (2X2 if it is on a corner of your box), and Mel recommends 9 sq ft (3X3). We have members that grown their bush squash in a special 2 X 2 box, so if it bushes out, it does not interfere with other plants.

If you have vining summer squash, Mel recommends 2 adjacent sq ft. per plant. One reason for that much room for a trellised plant is because of the huge leaves on squash.

Vining cucumbers are 2 per sq ft if trellised.

Do you know the soil temperature in your row garden? The minimum soil temp for most squash is 60 degrees, and cooler soil might prevent germination,
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants Empty Re: Squash, cukes and other "larger" plants

Post  Alarion 5/23/2011, 3:14 pm

great info, thanks! I don't know the soil temp - but the air temp has been 70-80s for the past week and a half or so, and was only slightly colder the two weeks before that (nights down to 50-55).
Alarion

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/23/2011, 4:54 pm

I has taken a week of mostly sunshine for our soil temp to go from 53/54 up to 58/59 here on the cool, cloudy oregon coast.

I used my meat thermometer to check the soil temp, then cleaned and sanitized it for kitchen use. I am going to have to break down and buy a thermomter just for the garden.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  WendySue67 5/23/2011, 5:00 pm

I thought this guy's garden looked pretty awesome. He has an interesting way of staking and pruning squash that I am going to try this year. Saves on space and seems to have a ton of fruit growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogPfOrJM0Ho&feature=player_embedded
WendySue67

Back to top Go down

Post  Alarion 5/23/2011, 7:00 pm

Hmm interesting. I just stopped by Lowe's real quick and was looking at the picked over selection of squash in both Burpee and Ferry Morse brands, and none say whether they are vine or bush (or indeterminate or determinate). *Are* there bush style vs vine style? Or are they all vine-type? I am talking Summer Squash now Wink If they can be trellised, and get one per square then that would be fine. I don't eat the stuff, but my wife does Smile
Alarion

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/23/2011, 8:02 pm

Even on the Ferry Morse site, they do not indicate vining or bush for their summer squash.

Most summer squash is Bush Type.

Burpee offers 8 ball and Verte et Blanc as summer vining squash.

Other seed producers offer Cucuzzi, Tatumi, Trombocino as summer vining squash

Territorial Seed has Black Hawk, a vining zucchini
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Alarion 5/23/2011, 8:28 pm

Thanks again. so much to learn! :scratch:
Alarion

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/23/2011, 8:43 pm

You might like to try these: Heirloom Lemon Squash

They ARE vining although Baker Creek doesn't include that in the description. Read this about them:

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/vegetablesherbs/ig/Heirloom-Summer-Squash/-Lemon--Squash.htm

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  altagarden 5/23/2011, 10:57 pm

I put my zucchini seedling in the centre of a 3X3 area, BUT I plant spinach all around it. By the time the spinach is harvested the zucchini needs the space.

I have been sprouting squash, zucchini and pumpkin in seed trays indoors and it really does take a long time to sprout. Maybe 10 -12 days and of course it is warm in my home. So yours might still pop out. If it is too cold though they will just rot. Maybe take a sneak peek? Once they sprout, they really grow fast compared to little guys like lettuce.
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down