Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is it too late for fresh plantings? Toplef10Is it too late for fresh plantings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is it too late for fresh plantings? I22gcj10Is it too late for fresh plantings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is it too late for fresh plantings? Toplef10Is it too late for fresh plantings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is it too late for fresh plantings? I22gcj10Is it too late for fresh plantings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is it too late for fresh plantings?

+3
Barkie
Furbalsmom
No_Such_Reality
7 posters

Go down

Is it too late for fresh plantings? Empty Is it too late for fresh plantings?

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/12/2011, 4:35 pm

Today I picked up a used wine barrel that has been halved as a planter. Each gives me about 4 square feet of surface area and just under 18 inches deep. I'm using them to flank a walkway.

Naturally, I want to plant them. My question, is it getting too late in the SoCal growing season for some of the typical SFG veggies. Peppers (hot), pole beans, bush beans, bush cukes, etc.
Not sure how anything is going to do as the barrel may need a season to season with soil in it.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Is it too late for fresh plantings? Empty Re: Is it too late for fresh plantings?

Post  Furbalsmom 5/12/2011, 7:57 pm

NoSuchReality said Naturally, I want to plant them. My question, is it getting too late in the SoCal growing season for some of the typical SFG veggies. Peppers (hot), pole beans, bush beans, bush cukes, etc.

I never seasoned the half barrels I used for planting. Does not mean that it is not necessary, just my experience.

If you are in a warm weather area and your first fall frost is not until late October or later, you may still get decent harvests from transplanted peppers or tiomatoes, and seeds for pole beans, bush beans, summer squash and cucumbers planted now.

Here on the Southern Oregon Coast, with lots of cool, foggy, cloudy weather, we don't even plant our warm weather plants until mid to late May.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Is it too late for fresh plantings? Empty Re: Is it too late for fresh plantings?

Post  Barkie 5/13/2011, 4:59 am

Can't help you with your weather I'm afraid, but if our half wooden barrels dry out the staves come loose enough to waggle so we soak them in water until the wood swells. Usually the amount of rain we get takes care of that Sad otherwise we would dunk them in water. Some come with a hole in the bottom for drainage and the ones without a hole are for making a mini-pond.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  barmstr 5/19/2011, 11:33 pm

It's never to late to plant in SoCal. I still have tomatoes to plant as will as redished, lettuce and what ever I can find to plant. The weather has been cool so far so things are a little slow at growing. I pulled my last tomato plant out in December.

If the side are tight on the half barrells, fill them with Mel's mix, water the mix as you put it in and plant. Put in sone pansies or other flowers to decorate the planting area. Veggies and flowers are beautiful together.

Good luck and post pictures of before, during and after.

Bruce Smile
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/28/2011, 1:34 am

barmstr wrote:It's never to late to plant in SoCal. Smile

Took the words right out of my mouth. There is always something to plant and most of the warm weather plants can be put in at least through July. Fall seems to be warmer than Spring around here so your growing season lasts nicely.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/24/2011, 12:43 am

I'll have to try and get some photos up. I basically did four 'squares' in each.

The barrels are doing okay. The bush beans in the one are growing well. In the other struggling. The pepper plant is okay, but I'm going to have to figure out what's munching the leaves. The petit gris melon has taken off in the one. So the melon is doing well where the beans aren't and the beans are doing well where the melons aren't.

I'm still hand watering the barrels so they get soaked down and then let them dry a bit.

My raised bed has been struggling but I figured out why, my automated watering sysem isn't keeping up. Things grew out well and then stalled. Just enough water to keep them from wilting apparently. I dug down and away from the drippers it was bone dry down to the ground. I did a total slow sprinkler soak down. Instant growth spurt. So it's coming back, but the red onions I fear are goners.

So speaking of which, if you use a drip irrigation system, how many drippers or total GPH dripper per square? My raised bed doesn't have a solid bottom so my drain out is a slow soak into the clayish soil. I want to get the water right and not waste water since this is SoCal.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/24/2011, 1:31 am

This has nothing to do with your question but check out this awesome planter you can make with half a wine barrel :o)

http://www.designsponge.com/2011/06/diy-project-recycled-barrel-planter.html

I've been wanting to make one since last week.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/24/2011, 10:56 am

barmstr wrote:It's never to late to plant in SoCal.

This!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum