Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video Toplef10The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video I22gcj10The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video Toplef10The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video I22gcj10The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video

+6
nancy
The Cat's Other Mother
Tril
white95v6
middlemamma
Stacie
10 posters

Go down

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video Empty The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video

Post  Stacie 5/12/2011, 4:33 pm

Please stay away from my plants you millions of cicadas.
Stacie
Stacie

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video Empty Re: The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video

Post  middlemamma 5/12/2011, 5:29 pm

OMG I wouldn't be coming out of my house. Garden or not. I would be on lock down.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video Empty Re: The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video

Post  white95v6 5/12/2011, 5:40 pm

you got those little jokers everywhere. here in tullahoma i have only seen a few soo far.
white95v6

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/12/2011, 7:05 pm

They won't hurt your plants (or you) since they don't eat during this stage of their life. Their only purpose at this point is to mate. The noise the males make is their way of attracting females. Only the males make noise. I love cicadas. I have a bar of lavender French soap... and it's in the shape of a cicada.
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 5/12/2011, 11:02 pm

We're supposed to get them here in GA too, according to the internets. Even if they don't eat my plants, I can't say I'm looking forward to the noise.
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/13/2011, 9:11 am

I'm actually jealous. We had Brood X about 4-5 years ago. Yes, the little buggers are loud, and they are everywhere, but they are really quite cool. The kids love them.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/13/2011, 11:58 am

We get them every year... late July/August. Not "swarms" of them... but we hear them every summer singing from the tops of the trees on very hot days.
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video Empty be one with the cicadas

Post  james lujack 12/26/2011, 9:01 pm

when I was five or six I would spend time with my grandparents out in the Irish Hills part of Michigan in an old one room schoollhouse.Behind the schoolhouse was a massive hickory tree that seemed a thousand feet high and during summers the Cicadas would play their music really loud.Well ,I was a very sensitive youngster and I was actually afraid of them.I wasn't afraid of bees because they had a colony of wild honey bees between the wood shutter and the window and hummed me to sleep every night. As time went on I became an avid fisherman and learned those "scary"bugs made superior fish bait. In AR,the population of these insects are enormous.When I take a walk now I hold my mouth closed so I don't choke on Cicadas.They can kill you that way............. rofl darn funny rofl rofl wave smile
james lujack

Male Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/26/2011, 9:39 pm

Stacie, I hope everybody's right and they won't hurt your plants. We've had them before here on the Gulf Coast, but I've never seen that many of them here EVER! We actually used to love finding the empty shells as kids. I've never had them around when I've had a veggie garden, though, and can't blame you for being nervous about it!

Just hang in there and remember, this, too, shall pass!!!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 12/27/2011, 12:33 am

Wow - I'm with middlemamma on this one. Yuck! I had no idea such a thing existed. A 13 year slumber? Wild.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

The Dreaded Cicadas Emerge From 13 Year Slumber in Middle Tennessee - video Empty the dreaded CICADA

Post  james lujack 12/27/2011, 9:41 pm

Twisted Evil I am quoting (more or less ) from Wikipedia...."......Cicada nymphs (youngins) suck xylem (plant 'veins' that either flow up the plant or down{i don't remember my botony let alnoe know hoe to spell it])from the roots of various species of trees like oak,cypress,ash and maple etc. " They go on to say.........While it is widely held in folklore that adult cicadas do not eat.......they have their own sucking mouthparts and also drink sap......" That shuts the door on amnesty for cicadas at my place. I wondered quietly in my head why the beautiful box elder tree in my front yard had so many pretty green leaves on them when I first arrived here and then,when that insidious hysterical cadence began,my once lovely leafed box elder had holy leaves......Gotta love 'em though!Cicada is on the menu in the jungles of South America as well as the Congo and pretty much wherever they are plentiful amidst Traditional living Native peoples.It also stated it was reported that females of the species were meatier! 🐱 I did see my cats eating them with no distress! boogie woogie boogie woogie boogie woogie I will try them this summer and report back........Got a smoker for Christmas rofl rofl rofl
james lujack

Male Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/27/2011, 9:54 pm

Yea, James, you do that - let us know how they taste! Probably like chicken, huh? Laughing
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/28/2011, 3:21 pm

Fried grasshoppers are supposed to be a crunchy treat. But the only thing I've tried is chocolate covered toasted ants. Taste like chocolate covered rice krispies.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum