Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) Toplef10It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) I22gcj10It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) Toplef10It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) I22gcj10It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

It's Gonna Eat Me!!! (Garden Update)

+16
pesmother
Kelejan
buttaflie143
ModernDayBetty
OntarioGardener
dizzygardener
petals1973
donnainzone5
sarah in the garden
HPartin
WolfHeart
acara
Furbalsmom
duhh
jazzymaddy
Miss M
20 posters

Go down

It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) Empty It's Gonna Eat Me!!! (Garden Update)

Post  Miss M 5/12/2011, 1:30 am

I'm one of the unfortunate ones with a yard that holds water a lot of the time (except right now... we're actually having a drought). So that is why my garden is so deep. It has a thick layer of coarse sand at the bottom.

Anyway, on to the pics!

I planted most of the garden around March 15-17. By March 24, I had this:

[img]It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) March210[/img]

The tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants were transplants, and the strawberries were awaiting hanging baskets. Everything else is coming up from seed. I already had my potato trench planted way in the back there.

April 7, south end:
[img]It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) April710[/img]
North end:
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) April711

April 16:
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) April110

April 25 -- at this point, we are realizing just how good this Mel's Mix is. The squash plants are larger and producing more already than we ever saw row gardening, and the tomato plants are getting completely out of control. We've never seen tomato plants act like this, and weren't expecting it. I even made cages for the bush beans, because they got way taller than I expected, and were taking over the bed:
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) April210
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) April211
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) April212

May 3 -- I finally realize that there is no waiting until next time to do something about the squash, and I begin tying them to stakes and trimming off their lower leaves:
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May3sm10

On May 5, a Cherokee Purple cluster that I cannot believe (after doing some trimming up on the tomatoes like Acara showed):
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May5ch10
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May5ch11

And, now, May 9 -- the melons, tomatoes, and pole beans are all laughing at me, as they poke their heads through the chicken wire at the top. I'm still working on staking the squash. The corn tassels are at the top and turning to keep going. Most of the potatoes have been pulled up, not for harvest, but because of Black Leg. The lettuce has been pulled up because it bolted, as I expected. The next day, I will notice wilting on one of the yellow squash plants, and on May 11, I will begin fighting the Squash Vine Borers:
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May9as10
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May9bs10
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May9cs10
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May9ds10
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May9es10
It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) May9fs10

We are certainly learning a lot, like how big plants will get when they are grown in optimal conditions... affraid
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) Empty Re: It's Gonna Eat Me!!! (Garden Update)

Post  jazzymaddy 5/12/2011, 1:35 am

So lush and gorgeous. I love your setup. And your success is very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) Empty Re: It's Gonna Eat Me!!! (Garden Update)

Post  duhh 5/12/2011, 3:25 am

Love your garden! Everything looks great. Although, I think the title for the post should be: We're gonna eat it!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/12/2011, 4:37 am

Just name the garden Seymor (Little Shop of Horrors)

Miss M, you garden is doing so well. Even in August, we don't have enough heat for a lush garden like that.
But, I am very happy for you. Those Cherokee Purples are beautimous.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/12/2011, 6:57 am

I'm hungry now Very Happy

Glad the pruning gave you good results.

Please remember that I am in no way finacially responsible/liable for your additional bread cost, or the talking-to that your gonna get from your DR. when you get busted at your next check-up, for a few too many BLT sandwiches Shocked

It's just an occupational hazard with growing 'maters Laughing
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 5/12/2011, 7:52 am

WOW! Shocked Shocked Shocked

that is the most beautiful and lush garden I have ever seen!

Again WOW!
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  HPartin 5/12/2011, 8:14 am

Your garden is fabulous.

Heidi
HPartin

Female Posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah in the garden 5/12/2011, 9:12 am

Amazing! What a success!
sarah in the garden
sarah in the garden

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/12/2011, 10:32 am

WOW! Shocked
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  petals1973 5/12/2011, 11:17 am

Wow! Where are you that your crops look soooooooo good?
petals1973
petals1973

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 5/12/2011, 12:59 pm

Holy Cow! Shocked

Now THAT'S an SFG!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/12/2011, 1:34 pm

Thank y'all!!!!!

Petals1973 -- I'm in South Louisiana. Unfortunately, close enough to the River to be worried that it all could be swept away by a levee breach. Sad

I doubt things would be quite this far along if we hadn't had an unusual spring. It hit 80* in mid-February, and then proceeded to stay there. 80* isn't out of the ordinary during the winter here, but it is usually an anomaly that lasts only a day or two, and then we're back into the 50s. This year, we've had only a few days below 80* since mid-February.

Acara, not to worry! While I'm sure some of these babies will wind up as BLTs, our favorite way to enjoy them is as a simple tomato sandwich. Good bread, a little mayo, a dash of salt and pepper, and then slab after slab of tomato. This way, it is pure, undiluted tomato bliss! Aw, nuts, now I'm hungry!

Thankfully, I've got ripe cherry tomatoes to hold me over! It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) 485967

Furbalsmom -- that's hilarious! If my uncle hadn't already dubbed it "Noah's Ark", I'd probably name it Seymour! It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) 930802

When we build our second one, it's not going to have the chicken wire. I'll plant stuff in it that I don't have to worry about birds for (the one we have has chicken wire on top, and bird netting down the sides). I'll keep the tomatoes in this bed, along with strawberries and such, and put corn, beans, etc. in the other one.

Seriously, we had no idea the garden would do this! From our previous experience row gardening, our tomatoes would top out at 4'-5' (if we were extra lucky) in September, and not be excessively productive. Except for yellow pear tomatoes. We did quite well with those, for some reason. Squash would be about 2' high and 3' wide. Bell peppers would get a little over a foot tall and give us 2-3 fruits per plant. This was after 6-7 years of amending and back-breaking work.

We are just shocked by this! But in a good way! It's Gonna Eat Me!!!  (Garden Update) 498988
Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  petals1973 5/12/2011, 1:43 pm

fried green tomatoes anyone? My entire cherokee tomato plant is about the size of one of your tomatoes!
petals1973
petals1973

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  OntarioGardener 5/12/2011, 3:52 pm

Now I am really inspired! I am in Southern Ontario and will be starting to plant my first SFG tonight! Happy eating!
OntarioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 5/12/2011, 7:50 pm

I love love love your set up!! Come help me re-do my garden next year ;o)
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 5/12/2011, 9:39 pm

What I want to know is what is in your MM specifically? Very Happy Your garden is GROWING and gorgeous!!! Well done!!! It is posts like yours that keep me from even thinking about giving up. Thank you.
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/12/2011, 9:44 pm

I was going to mention that your lovely bed is five squares wide and do you have any problem with that in getting to the middle row of squares?

Then I see that there is just no room for weeds. lol
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/12/2011, 11:27 pm

Buttaflie, I've got the peat moss and vermiculite, obviously, though my vermiculite is the fine sort. I thought I was buying coarse, and found otherwise when I got home. Rolling Eyes My composts are:

• Gardenese Compost and Manure - ground and composted organic forest material and mason's sand, and composted barnyard waste
  • Black Velvet Mushroom Compost
  • Black Kow Composted Cow Manure
  • Back to Nature Composted Chicken Manure
  • Back to Nature Cotton Burr Compost
I have since run out of the cow manure (I had extra of all when we finished filling the garden), so when I need to mix a little more, I use rabbit manure, from our meat rabbits. It needs no composting.

Kelejan -- yes it is five squares wide. I did some math in my first thread where I showed our brand-new garden. We knew it would be a little harder to deal with, but we wanted the extra 20 square feet that we got by doing it, while spending no more money (the wood to make it this wide would have ended up cut off as scrap). Shay did inexplicably forget to count the width of the wood in his calculations, so we ended up with what I call "short squares". It's 4'9" wide, rather than 5', and 19'9" long. That's okay, I use those squares for stuff that I would normally plant 16 or 9, and I plant 12 or 6 instead. So it works out just fine. Yes, it is a stretch, but I'm glad for the extra growing room. Would I recommend someone else doing it? Only with the realization that it is a challenge reaching the center squares, and with more knowledgeable and careful planting planning. I had no clue what I was in for as far as plant size, since my previous experience left me thinking I knew how big the plants would get. Boy, was I wrong! Shocked

krazikandiland wrote:I love love love your set up!! Come help me re-do my garden next year ;o)

My beloved Shay says to tell you we'll be happy to, as soon as you come help us build our second one this summer! Laughing
Miss M

Back to top Go down

Post  pesmother 6/18/2011, 8:14 am

That is the most amazing garden I have ever seen! It is sooo lush and gorgeous! (I am overflowing with jealousy..) It looks like you have it in your backyard? If I may ask, why is it raised up that far? I have thought about making my SFGs a little deeper but worry about complicating matters. Thank you for the pictures! They are definitely inspirational :!:
pesmother

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 6/18/2011, 1:27 pm

Hi pesmother - aren't the beds gorgeous? I believe she is the one who gets quite a bit of standing water in the area where her beds are, so she made beds that have a layer of sand underneath the MM to account for the standing water in her area.
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 6/18/2011, 1:35 pm

so when I need to mix a little more, I use rabbit manure, from our meat rabbits. It needs no composting.

Miss M,

I have a question regarding your rabbit manure. My daughter has 2 pet rabbits with indoor litter boxes. The litter is recycled newspapers turned into pellets. Of course they poo and pee in the boxes. Do you think the ammonia from their urine would cause any problems, if I used it fresh. I do use it, buy I've always composted it first.
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  Pduzant 6/18/2011, 8:39 pm

WOW - Thats looks awesome!!!
Pduzant

Male Posts : 18

https://www.youtube.com/k4pad

Back to top Go down

Post  etherati 6/18/2011, 11:06 pm

Wow, that is completely amazing. I don't even dare to hope that mine could ever look like that - I just don't have the climate for it - but that's such an inspiration. Thank you so much for the pictures. Very Happy
etherati

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum