Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Window Sill? Toplef10Window Sill? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Window Sill? I22gcj10Window Sill? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Window Sill? Toplef10Window Sill? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Window Sill? I22gcj10Window Sill? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Window Sill?

+7
walshevak
Furbalsmom
Barkie
boog1
BackyardBirdGardner
milaneyjane
scmelik
11 posters

Go down

Window Sill? Empty Window Sill?

Post  scmelik 5/3/2011, 8:29 am

My third attempt at growing my plants from seeds is moving right along, I have already transplanted my cold weather crops that have sprouted, my warm weather plants have popped as well. This time I have tried growing the seedlings in vermiculite and was very surprised how well they sprouted, I always thought that they needed nutrients to germinate but I guess I was wrong.

Now to my question. My pepper and mater plants were to the point where they needed to get uppotted to MM. I am wondering if putting the pots in the window to get sun and heat will be to harsh for them?
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Window Sill? Empty Re: Window Sill?

Post  milaneyjane 5/3/2011, 9:06 am

I was up until 2 am this morning doing the same thing. The plants peppers and tomato that have been in the sill for the past month are flourishing! I also have grow bulbs going in the basement and the window plants are kicking butt.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/3/2011, 9:17 am

milaneyjane wrote:I was up until 2 am this morning doing the same thing. The plants peppers and tomato that have been in the sill for the past month are flourishing! I also have grow bulbs going in the basement and the window plants are kicking butt.

This is good to hear. My attempts at window sills in my house were a pathetic failure. I think it may have more to do with specific houses. Give a go and I hope you have success.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/3/2011, 9:39 am

all my indoor starts are on a plastic folding table in frount of a sliding glass door on the south side of the house. me thinks i jumped the gun on a few things a tad. my green beans are over a foot tall one has beans starting, one of summer squash has a flower staring out the slider lookin for a bee ta come make lov to it .i'm prayin fer a few nice days so i can get some of this stuff in the ground soon.

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/3/2011, 9:55 am

I grew chilli peppers on the windowsill last year for the first time, it is south facing, but I live in Britain so it wasn't too hot for them. I sowed 6 thinking I might not have much luck if there wasn't enough sun. I turfed some outside when they got too big and they didn't like it but the smaller ones I kept inside produced well. If I were you I would just give it a go, could you stick brown paper to the glass or put cardboard beteen them and the glass to give them shade if it is too hot and sunny for them?
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 5/3/2011, 9:19 pm

milaneyjane wrote:I was up until 2 am this morning doing the same thing. The plants peppers and tomato that have been in the sill for the past month are flourishing! I also have grow bulbs going in the basement and the window plants are kicking butt.

well it didn't they were dead when I got home from work tonight and so were the peas I planted in the garden. I quit, I am done gardening this year, maybe next year I will have better luck.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/4/2011, 1:30 am

smelik, what rotten luck for so early in the year.

Your average last frost date isn't for about two more weeks. Perhaps your peas just got a bit too chilled. You still have enough time to replant them directly in the MM.

Transplanting from vermiculite to MM is usually not too much stress on the seedlings. Did they get cold in the window.

Don't give up, please
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/4/2011, 10:19 am

It's too early to quit. Your gardening season hasn't even really started yet. You may be too late on starting from seeds, but transplants will just be getting to your stores. With your frost date 2 weeks out, you can even plant peas again. We all lose plants. I've lost 2 cukes already. And they were doing well until I transplanted. And my eggplants and habenero peppers either never germinated or just got their noses up and then croaked.

Hang in there!

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/4/2011, 10:28 am

Oh don't give up! If I haven't quit, you can't either. My garden has been under several feet of water off and on since mid March. I've given up on spring crops, but I have four varieties of tomatoes in the kitchen window that are going to be ready to go in a week or so. I've started them all from seed in vermiculite and up-planted them into MM - twice. They slow down immediately after, but then take off again. I'm going to start watermelon seeds tonite. My only problem is the amount of window space available. The kitchen windows face south and they are the only ones deep enough for the containers. It's just seeds - give it another try, or buy beautiful starts from a local nursery. You can do it - it's so rewarding to see these babies grow for you!
Window Sill? 993580
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/4/2011, 2:06 pm

Hey Regional Hosts - how bout having a way to share some issues or disappointments we have, as well as successes? Not to minimize the successes, but sometimes I think as a newbie, we tend to see all the really great successes (which are totally inspiring) and we don't realize that even you, seasoned SFGers, have disappointments. It's nice to realize that even someone who is experienced loses a plant or starts seedlings that don't always take off. Not meant to minimize the huge successes and benefits of SFG but more to give us newbies some perspective.

To scmelik - I am so sorry to hear how frustrated you are! What a disappointment! According to my husband (who should know), I am a geek and a perfectionist. I am trying to adjust that. Smile I've tried SFG for the first time this year with the idea that I'll have some failure and I'll hopefully have some success and that I don't have to do it all. The basic tenants of SFG are few and everything else is up for grabs (so I interpret this to mean that transplants are A-OK)! okay This is the most encouraging group of people I have EVER seen on a forum and they will support youl. Smile Please hang in there! BIG hug
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick 5/4/2011, 3:06 pm

Oh, smelik, please don't give up. I have been doing SFG for three years now but this is the first year I've attempted to grow my own transplants and I have to tell you, it is a whole other ball game and more challenging than I had thought. If you are still game, I'd say figure out what you can direct seed in your garden and buy a few transplants to get you going. You can try growing seedlings again in the fall if you wish. So far I've lost two "crops" of seedlings and I'm still trying to get it right. I'm just starting to harden off my tomato plants and hoping for the best. If not, Ace Hardware, here I come!
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 5/4/2011, 6:43 pm

Smartchick wrote:Oh, smelik, please don't give up. I have been doing SFG for three years now but this is the first year I've attempted to grow my own transplants and I have to tell you, it is a whole other ball game and more challenging than I had thought. If you are still game, I'd say figure out what you can direct seed in your garden and buy a few transplants to get you going. You can try growing seedlings again in the fall if you wish. So far I've lost two "crops" of seedlings and I'm still trying to get it right. I'm just starting to harden off my tomato plants and hoping for the best. If not, Ace Hardware, here I come!

I think it has something to do with my MM because no matter if I transplant them outside or inside within two days they go from green to white by day three or four they are dried and shriveled. All of these plants are nice and strong and healthy before I transplant and after POOF!!!

I think I am going to take a sabatical from it this year and do some more research and learning and try again next spring.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/5/2011, 10:39 am

There's no need for you to take a sabbatical from SFGing!

Just tell us what the components of your Mel's Mix were. We'll chime in with suggestions on how to remedy the situation.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum