Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My personal woes, mostly garden related... Toplef10My personal woes, mostly garden related... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My personal woes, mostly garden related... I22gcj10My personal woes, mostly garden related... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My personal woes, mostly garden related... Toplef10My personal woes, mostly garden related... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My personal woes, mostly garden related... I22gcj10My personal woes, mostly garden related... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 15:02

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 22:38

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:38

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 14:56

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon 25 Mar 2024 - 13:31

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun 24 Mar 2024 - 12:01

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun 24 Mar 2024 - 10:28

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat 23 Mar 2024 - 15:02

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 21:33

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 16:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 14:07

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 11:09

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:53

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:43

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu 21 Mar 2024 - 16:09

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 7:34

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 13:51

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon 18 Mar 2024 - 7:34

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 14:54

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon 11 Mar 2024 - 7:28

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 17:38

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 5:16

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 15:07

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 12:09

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 10:46

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri 8 Mar 2024 - 16:56

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 19:28

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 6:33

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 13:36

Google

Search SFG Forum

My personal woes, mostly garden related...

+15
staf74
NHGardener
Glendale-gardener
jamesindetroit
clfraser
middlemamma
camprn
westie42
Old Hippie
Ha-v-v
acara
walshevak
dizzygardener
muffinator
sarah in the garden
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My personal woes, mostly garden related... Empty My personal woes, mostly garden related...

Post  sarah in the garden Fri 29 Apr 2011 - 20:58

Been off the forum for a bit, developed a bit of a situation that needed tending to....and then my garden started to suffer a bit Sad Not sure how much I can salvage, carrots are doing pretty well. Something ate the tops, two nights in a row. I don't have a real cage, just a netting stretched around like a fence, mostly a physical barrier so my dog or cat doesn't run through it. I guess the (bunny? or whatever) came up underneath. I secured it a little better, no probs since. Lost a couple of bush bean plants but I have three that are producing like crazy, will be ready to harvest by mid May.

About two weeks ago I saw a couple of spots on my hands, after a few days, it developed into a small rash on my palms. I thought I got into some poison ivy or something while pruning back shrubs in my yard. Or maybe a contact dermatitis. I wear gloves all the time though. Then it started on the soles and insteps of my feet. Had to stay out of the yard, got so bad I couldn't wear shoes. Itchy and painful. Went to the doctor 3 times in two weeks, finally diagnosed with Dyshidrotic Eczema. Develops in the hands and feet, some type of allergic reaction that affects the sweat glands. With the humidity here, I might not be able to garden in the best gardening months anymore.

Anyone have any advice on creams, specially made gloves for sensitive skin, etc? I don't want to give up a hobby that has quickly become a passion.

Sorry if the pics are too much.

My personal woes, mostly garden related... Img_4612

My personal woes, mostly garden related... Img_4613

My personal woes, mostly garden related... Img_4614
sarah in the garden
sarah in the garden

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

My personal woes, mostly garden related... Empty Re: My personal woes, mostly garden related...

Post  muffinator Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 5:03

I don't know how well it will work on your type of Eczema, but when I was a nanny, the boy baby got Eczema all over, and we were told to use Aveno with oatmeal and it seemed to help.
muffinator
muffinator

Female Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

My personal woes, mostly garden related... Empty Re: My personal woes, mostly garden related...

Post  dizzygardener Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 5:11

I wish I could offer you a solution, but I can't. The best I can do is offer you my prayers and sympathy.

A friend of mine has excema. She says the only thing that has helped her was acupuncture. I have a friend who is an herbalist. I can ask her if she has a tincture or salve that might work.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 5:27

Keep talking to your doctor and ask about "clotrimazole and betamethansone dipropionate" cream. Of all the various stuff mine has given me, this one is the only one that seems to do any good over the long term. Learned about it 50 yrs ago when it helped my Dad. Doctor keeps giving me newer prescriptions because the excema never completely goes away, but I keep going back with this, even when I was overseas. Hopefully your doctor will eventually come up with the right stuff and you can keep gardening.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 5:32

Kay,

I hadn't thought of that. A couple years ago my body decided it wanted to be allergic to the city water. (*shutter* just had a flashback pale ) The doctor's gave me that cream and it helped quite a bit.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  acara Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 6:11

That's not too different looking than my "affliction", except mine covers 100% of the same area a long sleeved dress shirt would, is chronic and comes in 6-11 month "waves".

The Aveno with oatmeal is a good OTC med, as are Epsom salt baths (takes the fluid out of the sores). Bag Balm (what they use on the chapped teats of dairy cows) works very well to keep the skin from drying/cracking/bleeding.

Here is the LINK

I'm not sure if the website "recommends" this for human use ..... but I sure do ....LOL

As far as "conventional meds"; Oral steroids and Triamcinolon Sarna salve (high potency corticosteroids) seem to help sometimes but doesn't ever seem to be able to knock it out completely.

Honestly, I suggest seeing a dermatologist (if you haven't already) ....they tend to be more sympathetic than the general/family doctors (who tell you "it's a rash, go put some cream on it").

If all else fails ..... floodlights are cheap & vampire gardening aint-so-bad Very Happy

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 6:21

I'm not sure if the website "recommends" this for human use ..... but I sure do ....LOL

Bag balm is good Smile We had it for the goats when we were milking. I am going to try it on the boys. I have a couple sons that their hands will get dry and chaffed in areas. I also buy Burts Bees hand salve, but thats a pretty penny. They put that on at night with socks on their hands. (they are germ aware they say, good hand washers I call them) I even buy Dr. Bronner's pure castile soaps for them. I put about a 1/2 inch in the bottom of a foaming pumper and fill the rest with water, it lasts way longer than the store bought chemical infused soaps Smile I buy a couple quarts every other month or so, if not longer. I buy it at GNC in the first 7 days of the month with the discount (20 percent ) card I pay for yearly. I save that way.

Hospitals used to use the bar castile soap for babies Smile My sister brought it home from UCLA when my niece was born.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 6:40

All I got for you My personal woes, mostly garden related... 966236

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 6:59

In your case it looks a bit severe so a dermatologist sounds appropriate if the condition has not changed much. Many health food stores have a herbal consultant on staff. As mentioned epsom salts can draw a lot of bad stuff out of surface conditions. If it's allergic would benadryl be a good ingredient to bring relief like in poison oak/ivy ointments. A good soap would be a nice find for your situation too. You mite consider soap making as a hobby so you could fine tune the contents to your families needs. Around here winters are tough on hands and the cows udders too so dairy farmers use some kind of udder balm or bag balm. Mine comes from a chain farm store and is called Kens udder cream (Kens is the chain store). It usually has some antiseptic content to prevent mastitis in the cows. It is marvelous at keeping human hands in good condition. A lot is sold and not just to farmers. Years ago I bought an expensive pair of moccasins at the state fair and also was sold a tin of mink oil salve to preserve them. The moccasin artisan said it would also be good at preserving my hands and it is lovely on the hands for protecting and moisturizing the skin. I wish you well and much happy gardening.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 7:09

I have a similar condition, mostly on the feet rarely on the hands. It really seems to crop up when stress is high in my life. The steroid ointments and creams help some. Frequent washing helps as well and a diluted H2O2: H2O solution of the ruptured blisters stings but helps simmer down the itching and stuff. Then dry the affected area. Good luck!
westie42 wrote:Around here winters are tough on hands and the cows udders too so dairy farmers use some kind of udder balm or bag balm.

I use a very soothing cream called Udderly Smooth, FABULOUS! Bag Balm & Badger Balm are also standard in our home. My personal woes, mostly garden related... 311672
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 13:57

I 2nd (or is it 3rd or 4th?) the Bag Balm. I used it instead of Desitin for my babies. It would knock out a diaper rash in hours.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 14:06

I had a friend that used to make soap (she doesn't anymore), but many
people were cured of their eczema with the soap. It had natural oils -
olive, coconut and oatmeal and honey with no fragrances or essential
oils, so maybe you can try and find something like it somewhere? Hope
that helps.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  clfraser Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 16:50

My daughter has horrible eczema and we were told it was a fungus on her feet, after a year and a half and several oral medications and creams we were referred to a dermatologist. The creams he gave us worked wonders! It was cleared up with in two weeks except for a couple spots that just were very stubborn. She had covering her body head to toe. The creams were Locoid Lipocream and EpiCeram skin Barrier Emulsion. The Epiceram is to use all the time. We both have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweatiness that affects hands and feet mainly) the dermatologist said eczema is common in people with that, and the epiceram has been great.

Could you try a powder in your gloves? Something to maybe keep your skin dry in the heat and humidity (also in your socks if it is a problem with socks and shoes - neither of us wear closed toed shoes often for that reason) so that you could keep gardening. Maybe if your hands stayed nice and dry in your gloves it would help prevent the reaction.

Aveeno is also awesome for just preventative. Oh and no fragrance laundry stuff (soap and softner and dryer sheets).
clfraser
clfraser

Female Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesindetroit Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 16:54

Olive oil.. or Melagel from Melaleuca..

The olive oil is a natural healing agent and works well on outbreaks.. Not sure if it works well with your condition though..

Oh yeah..I also have tinia versicolor....a fungus...Doctor tells me to use Selsun Blue...the Pepcid is the active ingredient I think...put it on every other day or so for 20 mins...wash it off...Each successive layer of skin falls off with the dead cells (containing the fungus) until it recedes for the most part...

Last edited by jamesindetroit on Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 17:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to mention...)
jamesindetroit
jamesindetroit

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 126

http://www.deliverdetroit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 17:05

I got something very similar both times I was pregnant. Not on my hands and feet, but on my belly, arms, legs, anywhere I would sweat "lightly" it seemed. (my husband would call me "fungus belly" throughout both pregnancies-he's a d-bag) What worked for me for treatment was Lotrimin (the athlete's foot lotion-recommended by OB). I also used tea tree powder to prevent it because I would get it or aggravate it every time I went out in the heat (btw- I just called it "heat rash" if people asked-it was easier than explaining it) The second preganancy was worse than the first because by then , I had a 2 1/2 year old that never wanted to go inside. I bought 2 inexpensive stand up fans that oscillate and set them up outside when we went out. Between that, using the tea tree poweder and making sure to always wear lightly colored clothing that was lightweight, it really helped a lot. Also, cotton will hold moisture against your skin. It is breathable, so it lets air in and that is good, but if you are trying to avoid moisture, go with anything marked "moisture wicking" or lightweight wool blends or synthetics. They sell socks like this for boots in the winter a lot as liners but in the summer, you could just wear the liners alone.

GL finding something that helps, it's super frustrating to be on hold!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah in the garden Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 17:51

Thank you everyone for all of the great ideas and info. BIG hug

I've been on a strong prednisone ointment after the doc decided the cream wasn't working well enough. I've also been on an oral pred dose pack; this seems to be working. No new spots have developed, and the old ones are drying up. My skin is dry, cracking and flaking off, but it isn't burning and itching anymore so it's a good day.

I was so overwhelmed when I went to the store with no knowledge whatsoever. All I had in my house were scented lotions, which I knew I had to get rid of. I ended up buying Aveeno Eczema Therapy, it's a cream, not a lotion. I didn't even think about udder balm or bag balm, my mom used to use it when she was nursing and her hands would crack and bleed. Now that it is clearing up, I have to start the tedious process of trying to determine what sets it off so I can avoid whatever it is.

GP is pretty good, his Nurse Practicioner has a special interest and knowledge in dermatological cases, but I will probably see a dermatologist too. I was really stressed out before this outbreak occurred, my daughter was almost hospitalized with a bad case of staph on her legs. Mom thinks that is ultimately what triggered it. I hate to admit it, but I am a high stress person, so she's probably right.

Again, thank you all for everything. The people on this forum are amazing and wonderful, like an extended family that just hasn't met face to face. It makes me feel good to know that there are still kind people who care in the world. thanks
sarah in the garden
sarah in the garden

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 17:56

I had an outbreak of some weird skin thing on the backs of my hands, particularly the knuckle area, it would seem to come every winter, dry, cracked, itched liked crazy, red broken skin/dry patches. But thinking back, I wonder if it had something to do with the hot tub chemicals, because we don't run that anymore, and I haven't noticed it the last 2 winters?

It was on my toes too. Itched like crazy. In the humid summer weather it would go away.

Glad the prednisone is working!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 18:21

my daughter was almost hospitalized with a bad case of staph on her legs

Looking at your location has me wondering :scratch: There have been a lot of reports that people living on or near the beach on the gulf coast have suffered many adverse skin reactions / problems as a result of the massive amounts of Corexit (oil dispersant) that was sprayed as a result of the BP oil spill and for months and months afterwards. Even if you don't actually go in the water, Corexit becomes "aerosol-ized" from evaporation during storm formation off the coast and falls as rain. BP also authorized a GM oil eating bacteria, attempting some form of biological control also that has been implicated in Staph like infections for hundreds of beach goers. Something to look into on google perhaps....just sayin....

My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope you feel better soon Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 18:43

Staf, that's an excellent point.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 18:56

Thanks NHGardener but I'm wondering if I should have sent that now as a PM instead. I mean, I know the forum is used from time to time for non SFG threads and I do not want to get controversial or open up that suggestion for discussion, I just want to help the poor woman and her family. I could not edit once someone else posted. I have family on the gulf coast closer to the St. Pete / Tampa area and this has been brought up at numerous town meetings. It is actually more than disturbing. Sorry y'all... was just trying to help.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 18:58

Gee Staf, I wouldn't think that was controversial at all. I figured it was pretty much common knowledge.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 Sat 30 Apr 2011 - 19:17

Okay.....I feel better for the suggestion now NHG. Its something perhaps they can research if they get no better answers from dermatologists etc.

Oh the folly of man....
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah in the garden Sun 1 May 2011 - 7:09

Thankfully, I know what the cause of the staph is...my daughter is highly allergic to mosquitos. She got bit several times while playing outside (and I didn't know), she scratched the bites until they bled, then scratched them open again. I was mostly worried about the staph because once the blisters opened up on my hands I was open to a secondary infection. We are both cleared up now, just trying to figure out how to keep us both that way!

I know it's not SFG material but I'm thankful for all the advice and concern!
sarah in the garden
sarah in the garden

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sun 1 May 2011 - 8:21

sarah in the garden wrote:Thankfully, I know what the cause of the staph is...my daughter is highly allergic to mosquitos. She got bit several times while playing outside (and I didn't know), she scratched the bites until they bled, then scratched them open again. I was mostly worried about the staph because once the blisters opened up on my hands I was open to a secondary infection. We are both cleared up now, just trying to figure out how to keep us both that way!

I know it's not SFG material but I'm thankful for all the advice and concern!
Dial or Safeguard deoderant style soap used with a wash cloth whilst bathing will help to keep the staph colonies on the skin at reduced number, which will in turn reduce your infection risk.. . good luck with the skeeters! Wink
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  mcduff Sun 1 May 2011 - 9:07

You might want to look at this site:
http://www.internationaleczema-psoriasisfoundation.org/dyshidrotic_eczema.php4
mcduff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum