Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant in the Food Pantry plot Toplef10What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant in the Food Pantry plot I22gcj10What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant in the Food Pantry plot Toplef10What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant in the Food Pantry plot I22gcj10What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Today at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 11:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to plant in the Food Pantry plot

+7
boffer
ashort
quiltbea
walshevak
Furbalsmom
dizzygardener
GreenBlueberry
11 posters

Go down

What to plant in the Food Pantry plot Empty What to plant in the Food Pantry plot

Post  GreenBlueberry 4/25/2011, 9:51 am

Our community garden has a 4x8 plot designated for a food pantry charity in our area. It's supposed to be maintained by all the gardeners, but I'm going to take an initial stab at it. What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 802240
Any suggestions on a garden plan? I planted all these "experimental" stuff in mine, but this one has to be more productive. Do I still add marigolds? How much of each?
Help! What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 471599
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Female Posts : 88

http://www.tableclothsandsporks.com

Back to top Go down

What to plant in the Food Pantry plot Empty Re: What to plant in the Food Pantry plot

Post  dizzygardener 4/25/2011, 11:26 am

I take it you all are donating fresh veg?

If so, BHG has a garden plan for a high yield SFG. Check this link and scroll through to high yield http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KGPPreplanned

501bs of food in a 6x3 SFG...
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

What to plant in the Food Pantry plot Empty Re: What to plant in the Food Pantry plot

Post  Furbalsmom 4/25/2011, 11:29 am

I am growing a food pantry plot in our community garden. (if I can ever get the rest of the dirt turned again) Unfortunately the only SFG aspects will be the spacing and grids. Compost has already been added. No Mel's Mix for the community garden.

I am planning squash, lots of beans both for green beans and for dried beans, sugar snap peas (we can grow peas here pretty much all summer) broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, carrots, potatoes, one pepper and a couple of tomatoes. The peppers and tomatoes are not especially productive here and tomatoes are more fragile as far as storing at the food pantry.

My plan includes not growing much in the way of salads, but concentrating on more nutritious foods that are successful in our cool, wet climate.

I would be glad to hear other suggestions too.

Greenie, marigolds are such good companion plants with pest repellant properties that a few will not take away much room from the produce.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/25/2011, 1:03 pm

I would try pole beans, collards, kale, peppers, tomatos, eggplant, okra, cowpeas, and squash. You are already into the summer planting zones. Some basil and marigolds for bug patrol and maybe onion sets or transplants at the intersections of the grid.

I am going to try edame this year, but I don't know how productive it is and you want the most for the space.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/25/2011, 3:10 pm

That's not a very large piece of garden for the Pantry.

I'd go with bush beans. You'll get lots of those to harvest and you'll feed more families.

If you try broccoli, cabbages, and others that have only one per square, your supply would be limited and only a few families will benefit.

We did well with bush beans last year but we have more designated Food Pantry space in our community garden than you. We did bush beans, summer squash, butternut squash, tomatoes, and sugar snap peas and even a few watermelon for families.

This year it'll be peas, beans, sweet corn, summer squash, carrots, and we're still up in the air on other things.

I would grow something that gives a lot in that amount of space so more can benefit.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 4/25/2011, 3:38 pm

You know you are an analytical OCD type when you start thinking about KCal per sq ft per unit of time....

Corn: 63cal / ear x 1.5 ear per plant x 4 per sqft x 180 growing days /90 seed to harvest days = 756 cal /sq ft / growing season

Beans: 10 cal / oz x 6 oz per plant x 9 per sq ft x 180 day growing days / 60 seed to harvest days = 1620 cal /sq ft / growing season

Seems to me that beans are the answer What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 211713
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 4:08 pm

Wow, ashort, I haven't seen a cal/ft2 breakdown before; I like it.

I would start with:

What does the food pantry say is most popular, or wish they had more of to disperse?

Which of that stuff is easiest to grow in your climate?

Which of that stuff can you get the most of out of a square?

Would it be a treat for all involved to donate expensive stuff like tomatoes and herbs?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/25/2011, 4:38 pm

ashort wrote:You know you are an analytical OCD type when you start thinking about KCal per sq ft per unit of time....

Corn: 63cal / ear x 1.5 ear per plant x 4 per sqft x 180 growing days /90 seed to harvest days = 756 cal /sq ft / growing season

Beans: 10 cal / oz x 6 oz per plant x 9 per sq ft x 180 day growing days / 60 seed to harvest days = 1620 cal /sq ft / growing season

Seems to me that beans are the answer What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 211713

Shocked study thinking :scratch: Sad ...
study thinking :scratch: pale huh?
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 4/25/2011, 4:46 pm

boffer wrote:Wow, ashort, I haven't seen a cal/ft2 breakdown before; I like it.

I would start with:

What does the food pantry say is most popular, or wish they had more of to disperse?

Which of that stuff is easiest to grow in your climate?

Which of that stuff can you get the most of out of a square?

Would it be a treat for all involved to donate expensive stuff like tomatoes and herbs?

All good questions!
ashort
ashort

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 4/25/2011, 4:51 pm

dizzygardener wrote:
ashort wrote:You know you are an analytical OCD type when you start thinking about KCal per sq ft per unit of time....

Shocked study What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 27650 :scratch: Sad ...
study What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 27650 :scratch: pale What to plant in the Food Pantry plot 326521

Trying to determine which vegetable you can get the greatest number of calories out of per square foot. When going for straight efficiency, you want the most output per input. The above was a crude attempt to compare the end results of planting corn versus planting beans.
ashort
ashort

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/25/2011, 4:57 pm

Thanks ashort, but I think it's pretty well hopeless trying to explain that to me. I'm terrible at math. I still don't know how I got a 607 on the math portion of my GRE. It must have been God 'cause it darn sure wasn't me. LOL
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 5:20 pm

Usually everyone compares $/ft2 to determine efficiency.

For example: one square foot of a SFG box costs $5 to set up. The first planting in that square was a tomato plant that grew 20 pounds of tomatoes at $X.XX per pound. Bottom line: if you eat a lot of tomatoes, you saved a lot of money. As compared to corn: 2 ears from the square the first year, which you could have been bought at the grocery store for $1.50. You lost money.

But when it comes to the bottom line of what is providing the greatest amount of basic healthy foods per square foot, cal/ft2 is a better indicator of value. Remember, we're talking healthy calories. Ashort pointed out that beans provide more calories per square than corn. I would guess that corn provides more calories per square than tomatoes, which provides more calories per square than broccoli, which provides more calories per square than radishes.

Think of it this way : cheapest to produce for the health value.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 4/25/2011, 5:47 pm

boffer wrote:Usually everyone compares $/ft2 to determine efficiency.

For example: one square foot of a SFG box costs $5 to set up. The first planting in that square was a tomato plant that grew 20 pounds of tomatoes at $X.XX per pound. Bottom line: if you eat a lot of tomatoes, you saved a lot of money. As compared to corn: 2 ears from the square the first year, which you could have been bought at the grocery store for $1.50. You lost money.

But when it comes to the bottom line of what is providing the greatest amount of basic healthy foods per square foot, cal/ft2 is a better indicator of value. Remember, we're talking healthy calories. Ashort pointed out that beans provide more calories per square than corn. I would guess that corn provides more calories per square than tomatoes, which provides more calories per square than broccoli, which provides more calories per square than radishes.

I likes the way you think.... cheers
ashort
ashort

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenBlueberry 4/25/2011, 7:46 pm

Thanks all for the ideas. This is not the only source of produce for the pantry, the coordinator just set one plot out of the 36 so it would be a common project. Since it's the end of April and it is still empty, I took the initiative to get it set up.
So far I have tomatoes, okra, beans, snap peas and peppers. I will stay away from lettuce, broccoli and such since it's getting too hot, maybe for the fall. I wish I had saved more basil seedlings because dang, it's expensive. I'm already over budget with my SFG.
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Female Posts : 88

http://www.tableclothsandsporks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 4/25/2011, 7:57 pm

If you have some basil plants of your own going, you can propogate some for the food bank plot pretty easily. Just take a cutting that is at least 3 inches, take off the lower leaves, and put it on the windowsill in a glass of water. When you have roots that are a couple inches long you can move it to soil.

I feel your pain--I'm way over budget this year too. Embarassed
kjenkins82

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/26/2011, 12:31 am

Edemame is even more productive that green bush beans, and full of protein. They are easy to freeze and cook, ever so yummy to boot.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/25/2011, 9:24 pm

boffer wrote:Usually everyone compares $/ft2 to determine efficiency.

For example: one square foot of a SFG box costs $5 to set up.
The first planting in that square was a tomato plant that grew 20 pounds of tomatoes at $X.XX per pound.
Bottom line: if you eat a lot of tomatoes, you saved a lot of money.

As compared to corn: 2 ears from the square the first year, which you could have been bought at the grocery store for $1.50. You lost money.

But when it comes to the bottom line
of what is providing the greatest amount of basic healthy foods per square foot, cal/ft2 is a better indicator of value. Remember, we're talking healthy calories.

Ashort pointed out that beans provide more calories per square than corn.
I would guess that corn provides more calories per square than tomatoes,
which provides more calories per square than broccoli, which provides more calories per square than radishes.

Thank you for sharing Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 7/26/2011, 4:00 pm

This idea has really gotten the wheel turning at our house. My kids have been really inspired by our SFG (b/c stuff is actually growing) and by 'First Garden,' a book about the White House vegetable garden. They would now like to grow food for our food pantry next year.

We've been on the fence about expanding our SFG but this is tipping the scales of doing so.

I called our food pantry to ask about what they accept (no preference stated) and when they accept it. Turns out they are having an open house this Sunday, so I think our family will have a field trip this weekend.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down