Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG, HELP Toplef10New to SFG, HELP 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG, HELP I22gcj10New to SFG, HELP 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG, HELP Toplef10New to SFG, HELP 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG, HELP I22gcj10New to SFG, HELP 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to SFG, HELP

+4
BackyardBirdGardner
Furbalsmom
sfg4uKim
mimi1
8 posters

Go down

New to SFG, HELP Empty New to SFG, HELP

Post  mimi1 4/10/2011, 4:56 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to SFG. I have read the first 2 SFG books and have spent alot of time reading the forum. My son built my first TT SFG. I am disabled and have had back surgery and have lost my job because of it. Any kind of information to make this easier for me please pass it along. It is important to note that I have a very very low income! I have always loved to garden but... I am using scrap lumber and containers to plant, and catching rainwater to water plants, but I can't find an outlet for vermiculite except at a very expensive nursery but I know I can't skimp on the MM. Excited about starting SFG and making new friends. Laughing
mimi1

Back to top Go down

New to SFG, HELP Empty Re: New to SFG, HELP

Post  sfg4uKim 4/10/2011, 5:27 pm

Hi mimi1:

Welcome to the Forum. Did you check the vermiculite database in the Forum? I got on my computer & called every garden store, nursery supply store & hydroponic garden place I could find in my area. I specifically asked if they had #3 (preferably which is coarse) or #4 (extra coarse) in 4 cubic foot bags.

In 3rd world countries where they can't get vermiculite & peat, they use 100% compost. You may want to consider getting as much vermiculite & peat you can afford then fill the rest with compost.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

New to SFG, HELP WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

New to SFG, HELP Empty New to SFG, Help

Post  mimi1 4/10/2011, 5:34 pm

I did check the data base for the vermiculite, but there wasn't anything remotely close to me. Thank you for the information. It will be a great help. I have requested vermiculite for my mothers day present. If I keep this up for birthday and christmas by next year I will have a little more for my garden. I have too many nicnacs already! Razz This will give me a place to start. What about planting tomatoes in old tires so I can use tomatoe cages that I already have? Do you know of any problems with this?
mimi1

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/10/2011, 6:58 pm

mimi1 wrote:I did check the data base for the vermiculite, but there wasn't anything remotely close to me. Thank you for the information. It will be a great help. I have requested vermiculite for my mothers day present. If I keep this up for birthday and christmas by next year I will have a little more for my garden. I have too many nicnacs already! Razz This will give me a place to start. What about planting tomatoes in old tires so I can use tomatoe cages that I already have? Do you know of any problems with this?

New to SFG, HELP 396615 Mimi

Check with any building supply companies or places like Home Depot or Lowes. There is vermiculite that is used for insulation, you MUST CHECK THE BAG, but many are suitable for horticultural use.

I found mine at a hydroponics garden store.

There are those that feel using old tires may not be a good idea, because there are chemicals that could leach into your soil and then into you. I have never used them so I don't really have a valid opinion.

I plant my tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. They must be watered frequently.

I am using table tops this year and they make my life so much easier. No more bending or crouching down on the ground (then I was stuck and needed help to get back up)

Good luck in your search, and again, Welcome!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/10/2011, 9:53 pm

mimi1 wrote:I did check the data base for the vermiculite, but there wasn't anything remotely close to me. Thank you for the information. It will be a great help. I have requested vermiculite for my mothers day present. If I keep this up for birthday and christmas by next year I will have a little more for my garden. I have too many nicnacs already! Razz This will give me a place to start. What about planting tomatoes in old tires so I can use tomatoe cages that I already have? Do you know of any problems with this?

I would agree that if times are super tough, you do what you can. I think your desire is in the right place, for sure. Welcome aboard. I think we all share the sentiment that we hope things turn around soon for you when it comes to a tight budget. We all likely feel like we have one ourselves. So, I think we can all somewhat identify with that....and it ain't fun.

The only thing I will add is: Try and track how much vermiculite and peat moss you've put in your garden. Those don't decompose over time, but compost does. So, when you can add more, do so. And, track it so you know when you are very close to the third/third/third Mel recommends. That way you don't accidentally go over with the peat and vermiculite....which you can't just pick out of your garden like a kid picks green beans out of his veggie medley.

Get comfortable here, and never fear asking any question. We love to help, and that's how we learn. See you round the forum.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/11/2011, 8:33 am

New to SFG, HELP 396615 we absolutely love to help, so ask if you need to, and we love pictures even more! We also have regional forums here so you can chat with others in your area, but you don't have to stick with those regions, you can post all over the place. New to SFG, HELP 396615 again!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/16/2011, 1:47 am

New to SFG, HELP 832433 Happy dance you found us. I too have a limited budget so requested TT SFG as a b-day present. We are kindred spirits. I have health issues as well. The least expenceve vermiculite I have found was at a feed and seed store, have you called those. What I got was not the coarse grade I requested but it will still work and I plan to add more corse stuff as I can afford it. Raising your own plants from seed is a another great way to save money if you can.
I do not recomend tire planters for another reason, they are so low it might inflame your back.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 4/16/2011, 7:43 am

Welcome to the forum !
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/16/2011, 9:09 am

glad you\'re here glad you\'re here glad you\'re here

So glad to have ya!

I'm sorry I'm so late with the welcome. Somehow I thought I'd already replied to you.

You've received some excellent advice thus far. I just want to encourage you to do the best that you can. MM is fabulous stuff. Little bit by little bit you will get there. In the meantime, enjoy your garden experience. I think you'll like it.

While you are hanging out here, please stop by the middle south regional forum and sit a spell with us. The regional forums are a great place to get region specific information as well as ask region specific questions.

Take care and happy gardening.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum