Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Northern California Toplef10Hello from Northern California 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Northern California I22gcj10Hello from Northern California 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Northern California Toplef10Hello from Northern California 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Northern California I22gcj10Hello from Northern California 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Northern California

3 posters

Go down

Hello from Northern California Empty Hello from Northern California

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 10:37 am

Good Morning!

I have been reading Mel's book since the 90s and applied some of the basics to my gardening but never really dove in full force, lol. This year, we have quite a few simple beds built (I am going to put pictures in the picture forum in a few minutes) and will be filling them over the next couple of weeks. We live in Redding, California, home of the HOT HOT HOT dry spring/summer/fall so we have a lovely looong growing season here with some challenges brought on by the heat.

I am a mom of 6. My 3, his 2 and our 1 on the way. I have always been a stay at home mom and always had a garden for the kids to graze in. Usually just herbs, grapes, the obligatory squash plant, etc. I have dabbled in part time jobs, attended college for a year and ran my own herbal body care business with an emphasis in soap and perfume and also sold handmade waldorf style toys online while before my first three all went to school to help make ends meet. Now that I have so many Wink and a new crop of little ones, I have taken a step back on business and just make goodies for family, friends and the holidays.

My gardening style is rather fanciful and fun, his gardening style is rather methodical and well (some might say overly....) planned out. I tease him about it... he humours my fancy Wink it works. He likes odd and creative varieties, I like fun stuff for the kids and flowers. So, this year, we will have it all. I am slightly worried about the work required to do it all as I will be having our son in May... but so long as we have the watering figured out and the kids to help, it should be fine.

Anyhow.. that is a little about me Smile Nice to meet you all!
Smile
Selena
selenamorning

Female Posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Hello from Northern California Empty Re: Hello from Northern California

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 10:46 am

Hello from Northern California 396615 You are a regular "Yours, Mine, & Ours'", I have not seen the new one, I'm too big a fan of the original-true version. We have 4 kids, they belong to both of us, when I claim them, and 2 grandkids-those are the best kind, if I had know how fun they were I would have had them first.

Gardening with kiddos is fun, if you are interested in more tips there are a few threads here about that, and a blog I follow is having a summer event full of ideas for gardening with kids, like building sunflower houses and bean and pea tunnels, pm me for that link if you want to read what they are doing. That will start in a few weeks.

Let us know how we can help you, one way is to find your region on the regional forums on the mail forum page, you'll find more local help, but ask any of us, if we don't know we will try to find out. We love pictures so post many.

Gardening with kids.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1345-sfg-with-kids

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t2569-how-do-you-get-kids-to-eat-their-veggies
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 10:58 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, Valerie Smile I have so many books on gardening with kids... I admit I am a bit of a gardening book junkie. I have also been combing the forums... I missed a couple of weeks as I got rather sick but looks like everyone is starting to get all geared up and excited for this year's season. I have a lot of catching up to do Wink Good thing the kids are all at school and I deep cleaned the kitchen yesterday in preparation for dinner company, lol. I can goof off in the forums for a while Wink Thanks for the links. I am going to take a look at your blog in a few minutes... I love the lizard eating the butterfly.. just don't tell my girls, they would be horrified... though I think one of them might help the lizard out Wink

I have a little plan of my own for the kids... we have some old fencing and I found a link to this beautiful trellis/walkway here
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/3232777187_a6708209e3.jpg
I have been dreaming of this since I first saw it... sigh... not sure why it struck me so hard... perhaps because it's simple, easy, and just lovely Very Happy And shade... did I mention it's hot here in the summer? lol...

and I must do it Wink I am planning on putting scarlet runner beans, jack be little pumpkins and um.... some sort of climbing flower over it. Or I may just get lazy and do gourds since they tend to go so far so easily themselves Wink We'll see what hops into my basket at the garden center when I buy seeds, lol.

love your signature quote Wink nothing like directing the honey in the garden Wink
selenamorning

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 11:07 am

Thanks for visitng my blog, I need to update it, but I'm on the tower computer as my laptop is not wanting to get online, and I cannot get pictures off of my phone on to this one. I took that picture of the Lizard with my iPhone, can you believe it. He lives in my Morning Glories, I put a house in ther for him last year. I took an old terra cotta pot, busted a hole in one side, turned it upside down and put a rock on top. I'm just not paying $20 for a toad/lizzard house. I'll be putting more houses for toads and lizards in my SFG this year, with a few tuna cans that will hold water for them to drink so I can help keep the bugs down, I hope.

Love that walk way!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 11:38 am

It is hard not to go overboard in gardening sections... $20 toad houses or a free broken pot from your shed Wink My favorite place to browse garden ornaments is Joann Fabrics, lol... they have such fun stuff! But I usually end up just saying "OH! That is cute" and walking on... I have a few things... a cement mushroom, a "so many weeds, so little thyme" for my herb bed, a couple dolphin copper stakes that I have to keep up now because of the little ones (they make good spears, you know, EEEK! lol) and some decorative stones. I do someday want a beautiful gazing ball and would love to get my tree climber to bring me some tree slices for tables and chairs for the kids...

I can hear the frogs ribbit-ing at night here right now... Not sure if this is toad territory. The kids scrounge under all the rocks and usually find red racer snakes every couple of weeks... they properly terrorize them so then hightail it out of here for a few weeks at a time.. but there are always more Wink I can't believe that picture came from your phone! Isn't it amazing what technology can do? Sometimes I feel like my grandpa (up hill, both ways, in the snow... at the beach in southern California, my heinie!) when I look around at all the ways technology has advanced in the 20 years since I was a teenager!
selenamorning

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 11:43 am

I have 4 little plastic rocks that say, are you ready "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme"-teeehhhee, I could not resist getting a set.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 12:03 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:I have 4 little plastic rocks that say, are you ready "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme"-teeehhhee, I could not resist getting a set.

roflol... yeah... I have 3 of these... they didn't have the sage one... but I am thinking about painting my own this year... If I grab a bucket of river stones from the landscaping place when we get our soil I will have plenty of rocks to work with and can do them while the kids are at school... I am SOOO not a painter but I figure I can write letters Wink maybe? Wink Or maybe that is what a paint pen is for, eh?

I also have a laughing buddha with children statue and a rock that has a celtic knot impression for a water bowl for birds... Maybe I will put that in the garden for the bug eaters to drink from, lol. I think that's it... I used to have rocks with sayings on them but they were a casualty of the move from Washington... My ex forgot to grab them and throw them in the moving van... sigh... someday I will get those again. I had some beautiful big rocks with long inspirational sayings on them...
selenamorning

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/31/2011, 12:29 pm

Welcome aboard, again, Selena. Glad you found your seeds.

I am more akin to your husband from the sounds of things...so forgive me my shortcomings....Wink

Obviously, SFG in it's concept really plays into your hubby's hands. With all that space and all those mouths to feed, it just makes perfect sense.

Hope to see you around often.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 12:32 pm

Don't let BYBG fool you, he's a true gentleman!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 12:36 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Welcome aboard, again, Selena. Glad you found your seeds.

I am more akin to your husband from the sounds of things...so forgive me my shortcomings....Wink

Obviously, SFG in it's concept really plays into your hubby's hands. With all that space and all those mouths to feed, it just makes perfect sense.

Hope to see you around often.

they say opposites attract, and we are both Wink I don't count it a shortcoming, but I certainly count it an area for appropriate teasing... I have threatened him with midnight covert flower planting ops but he doesn't seem to feel the stress of the threat... He ain't scared of me Wink

I am thoroughly, completely excited about the garden Very Happy Even with the rigid plan (hahaha) So long as I get my flowers in the front, he can have the back yard Wink

And honestly... I will have to do most of the work, so the SFG is just the most intelligent way to go. Small area, easy watering, easy weeding, I can send the kids to the "third box in the back" for something when I need it and everyone will be fed and happy. So long as the watering is done properly, LOL!

thank you for your welcome!
selenamorning

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down