Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How Important is Temp with Seeds? Toplef10How Important is Temp with Seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How Important is Temp with Seeds? I22gcj10How Important is Temp with Seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How Important is Temp with Seeds? Toplef10How Important is Temp with Seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How Important is Temp with Seeds? I22gcj10How Important is Temp with Seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How Important is Temp with Seeds?

+2
Old Hippie
scmelik
6 posters

Go down

How Important is Temp with Seeds? Empty How Important is Temp with Seeds?

Post  scmelik 3/20/2011, 6:01 pm

As I was walking through WalMart today I decided that I would get things together to for my first attempt at a garden. Even thought its a bit more difficult I decided to try my hand with seeds and I found some starting trays that you wet and put your seeds into and when they are big enough transplant them outside. The directions for these say to keep them out of direct sunlight and at 80-85 degrees. Unfortunately I do not have anywhere in my house that is that warm unless I put a space heater in there but even with that I am finding that its tough to keep a consistent 80 degrees. How much am I going to have to worry if I am closer to 75 degrees?

If it matters I planted tomatoes, japelenos, anehaims, Cyannes, basil, thyme, oregeno, and rosemary.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

How Important is Temp with Seeds? Empty Re: How Important is Temp with Seeds?

Post  Old Hippie 3/20/2011, 6:16 pm

The germination rate will be much higher if your seeds are at the correct temp. That is why my mom and grandmom always put theirs on top of the fridge or the radiator. Some people use Christmas lights...the mini ones...in a tray underneath their seeds to get them started. Some seeds just will not germinate without bottom heat. You will also have less problem with a fungus called "damping off" which attacks young seedlings. They look like they are doing just fine and then suddenly, they start rotting at soil/growing medium level and they flop over and die. Very discouraging.

I use an old waterbed heater set at low with some towels on top and set my planting trays on top.

Best of luck. Growing from seeds is so exciting.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/20/2011, 6:53 pm

If you have Mel's new book, there is a wealth of info in the back regarding questions just like these. If not, it's so ridiculously handy to have on hand, I would recommend buying a copy as soon as you can.

That said, Hippie is obviously correct. Usually, the warmer the faster the seeds come up. However, your germination percentage will drop off the cliff if you heat up over 88-90*. Small amounts of heat are great. Seedling mats are another way to supply heat she didn't mention, but at an expense. Your choice.

The only other thing I will add is to watch out for spinach. Spinach is the only veggie I know of that does worse the warmer the soil gets. If I remember correctly, the germination percentage starts to drop off over about 65-70*F. You still get a high rate, but it drops off. Spinach does exceptionally well at 45-60*, it just takes longer the closer you are to 40.

I know people will say not to start spinach indoors. But, I do. If started in a cup of vermiculite and pulled a day or two after sprouted, spinach will go directly in the garden and do fine. I can't speak for letting it go a couple weeks. My roots, after only a day, were crazy deep in the vermiculite cups....it was eye-opening to see.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/20/2011, 7:02 pm

Good point, BBG. There are other plants that either won't germinate at high temperatures, or will do very poorly at best. Beets come to mind, but I am sure there are many more.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/20/2011, 9:17 pm

Another option a friend taught me was to use an electric heating pad under the the seed tray and just put it on the lowest setting. It's just like a heating mat, only there's a good chance you actually have one on hand.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/20/2011, 9:38 pm

Kabaju42 wrote:Another option a friend taught me was to use an electric heating pad under the the seed tray and just put it on the lowest setting. It's just like a heating mat, only there's a good chance you actually have one on hand.

The only issue I've heard about doing this is the moisture around and near the heating pad. Kind of like using an electric blanket. Sure, it'll heat up, but may cause fires.......no matter how slight the risk, I didn't want to mess with that. I just have too much water around my plants when keeping them moist. I don't pull the mat, dry things off, and replace the mat. I like the convenience of just pouring water in, and if it splashes, it splashes.

Not likely a big deal. I am not trying to be an alarmist. But, I did feel it worth mentioning. Do with it what you will.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 3/20/2011, 9:40 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
Kabaju42 wrote:Another option a friend taught me was to use an electric heating pad under the the seed tray and just put it on the lowest setting. It's just like a heating mat, only there's a good chance you actually have one on hand.

The only issue I've heard about doing this is the moisture around and near the heating pad. Kind of like using an electric blanket. Sure, it'll heat up, but may cause fires.......no matter how slight the risk, I didn't want to mess with that. I just have too much water around my plants when keeping them moist. I don't pull the mat, dry things off, and replace the mat. I like the convenience of just pouring water in, and if it splashes, it splashes.

Not likely a big deal. I am not trying to be an alarmist. But, I did feel it worth mentioning. Due with it what you will.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I have them positioned correctly and found a piece of eggshell foam to put on the floor to protect them from the bottom. Hopefully they will stay warm enough with the space heater on.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/20/2011, 10:05 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:

Not likely a big deal. I am not trying to be an alarmist. But, I did feel it worth mentioning. Do with it what you will.

How much are you watering yours? I have all my seedlings in peat moss pots and in a plastic tray the heating pad is under the tray with an old towel wrapped around it, mostly to protect it from small spills. Unless you're really sloppy with the water I don't see how it would be a probelm.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/21/2011, 3:59 am

Sloppy or not, it doesn't take much to get water outside of the tray, especially if you use cells instead of peat pellets because there is no room between the cells and the edge of the tray to allow you to water from the bottom. Even with peat pellets, you can miss with the bottle of water.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum