Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 sources have 2 different planting dates? Toplef102 sources have 2 different planting dates? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 sources have 2 different planting dates? I22gcj102 sources have 2 different planting dates? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 sources have 2 different planting dates? Toplef102 sources have 2 different planting dates? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 sources have 2 different planting dates? I22gcj102 sources have 2 different planting dates? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2 sources have 2 different planting dates?

+3
dixie
Megan
NHGardener
7 posters

Go down

2 sources have 2 different planting dates? Empty 2 sources have 2 different planting dates?

Post  NHGardener 3/6/2011, 6:04 pm

I'm trying to organize here, but they're not making it easy for me.

Farmer's Almanac gives one set of dates for my zip code to plant indoors. And Johnny's gives another date.

Any thoughts on which dates I should go by?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

2 sources have 2 different planting dates? Empty Re: 2 sources have 2 different planting dates?

Post  Megan 3/6/2011, 6:16 pm

Welcome to the imponderables of gardening! Check with local gardeners, to start with...other than that, it's your best guess. Remember that it's only seeds, and planting indoors a little early, or a little late, probably won't have a huge impact.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

2 sources have 2 different planting dates? Empty Re: 2 sources have 2 different planting dates?

Post  NHGardener 3/6/2011, 6:28 pm

Megan - thank you for that relief! Maybe what I should do is average the 2 sets of dates out. Smile

Actually I think I'll follow Johnny's advice, since they are in my zone anyway, they should know. And of course, by reading all the posts from here. I guess the broccoli and parsley have already been planted by the members here. That's a clue.

I'm planting when you guys plant.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/6/2011, 6:34 pm

You're very welcome. Smile It's not a precise science, and it will work out however it works out. It's only February, after all! Around here, Memorial Day is a more reasonable date for planting, but I'm getting adventurous. After all, it's only seeds. Smile Good thing the plants are adaptable! I am one for direct planting (though I'll admit, I'm looking for an Aero Garden) and I just kinda go with the flow. It is raining like crazy here tonight.... I've pretty much given up on the lettuce I planted a few weeks ago, but I'll try again here once we've dried out.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 3/6/2011, 7:26 pm

I noticed that Johnny's was a bit different than what I know are safe dates for me. Your local county agricultural agent would be a good one to ask as well as neighbors & local garden centers.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/6/2011, 7:38 pm

NHGardener wrote:I'm trying to organize here, but they're not making it easy for me.

Farmer's Almanac gives one set of dates for my zip code to plant indoors. And Johnny's gives another date.

Any thoughts on which dates I should go by?

I have played around with so many sites, and so many dates, that I have become dizzy. You just kind of have to pick something close and go with it. Mother Nature varies from year to year anyway. So, even if one place is accurate this year, it may not be next year.

However, I have discovered the most scientific way when you have it narrowed down to two choices.......flip a coin. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/6/2011, 7:40 pm

dixie - good idea. I just shot an email off to the extension agency. Maybe they have a list.

And the flipping the coin is a great idea too! 2 sources have 2 different planting dates? 889526 Come to think of it, I think I have a lot of problems that could be solved that way. The flip rules. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/6/2011, 9:47 pm

NHGardener wrote:Megan - thank you for that relief! Maybe what I should do is average the 2 sets of dates out. Smile

Actually I think I'll follow Johnny's advice, since they are in my zone anyway, they should know. And of course, by reading all the posts from here. I guess the broccoli and parsley have already been planted by the members here. That's a clue.

I'm planting when you guys plant.

lol, Johnny's is in Maine and Old Farmer's Almanac is in New Hampshire, they are both neighbors! Very Happy Very Happy I don't know if you have this site, but it's handy. US Freeze Dates
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

2 sources have 2 different planting dates? Empty Different dates

Post  ander217 3/7/2011, 8:42 am

The new 1981-2010 climate normals will be released by the end of 2011, so everything will likely change then, anyway. Here is a great link to understanding frost dates:

NOAA climate data

The Farmer's Almanac states that the frost date is an average, and means that there is a 50 percent chance that the last frost will occur before or after that date.

Not too reliable, are they?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/7/2011, 9:18 am

ander217 wrote:The new 1981-2010 climate normals will be released by the end of 2011, so everything will likely change then, anyway. Here is a great link to understanding frost dates:

NOAA climate data

The Farmer's Almanac states that the frost date is an average, and means that there is a 50 percent chance that the last frost will occur before or after that date.

Not too reliable, are they?

I've always found the Farmer's Almanac freakishly accurate, personally. I don't trust anything that puts out a forecast....for the year....with specific dates in it. However, I was cruising through one a week ago just for fun at the supermarket, and darned if they didn't nail our bigger snows to the day!

If they would just let me borrow their crystal ball for 2 questions, I would likely find out when that money tree is supposed to finally bloom. As for the other question.....let your imaginations run amuck. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

2 sources have 2 different planting dates? Empty Clarification

Post  ander217 3/7/2011, 9:57 am

Just to clarify, I wasn't dissing the Farmer's Almanac, I was dissing frost dates in general. If a given date is the average, there are lots of opportunities for frost to come earlier so beware putting too much faith in those dates.

It's always a roll of the dice, but at our house we push the envelope for earlier planting even if it means replanting now and then. The years where we win, it is SO worth it.

It's eerie that the FA has a much better track record at long-range predictions than others, but apparently their secret formula works.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/7/2011, 11:31 am

ander217 wrote:Not too reliable, are they?

This could be one reason why we moved on from an agricultural society. Laughing (But not the reason we may be moving back to an agricultural society before long........)

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:If they would just let me borrow their crystal ball for 2 questions, I
would likely find out when that money tree is supposed to finally
bloom.

As for that, I think I may have your answer. But I don't think you're going to like it. 2 sources have 2 different planting dates? 889526
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/7/2011, 7:19 pm

I was just tonight reminiscing with my mother about a freak blizzard we had back when we lived in southern New Hampshire. We got quite a lot of snow, forget how much but over 8", around May 12 back in the 70's. We had many, huge lilac trees (15-20 feet tall) which were in full bloom at the time, and a lot of them lost limbs or broke from the weight of the snow. Sad
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/7/2011, 7:21 pm

I remember something of that storm! CRAZY, snow on the lilacs. Shocked
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/7/2011, 7:37 pm

Megan wrote: We got quite a lot of snow, forget how much but over 8", around May 12 back in the 70's.

Uh oh.

:paging thru internet to find cheap big greenhouses:
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/7/2011, 7:42 pm

Yep, we had a working farm back then (as did all of our neighbors) and it threw a huge wrench into the works, aside from wrecking our poor lilacs. (They eventually recovered, but, boo-hoo!!!)

Honestly, though, I'd rather have a big dump of snow than just bitter cold air without the snow to insulate the ground. It's amazing what you can find growing under there.

Please don't let me scare you. NHGardener. Just goes to show you that there will always be outliers on any graph. You can't prepare for everything... just try to roll with it. Smile

Last edited by Megan on 3/7/2011, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing grammar, or trying to, anyway)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/7/2011, 9:20 pm

Who affraid says affraid I'm affraid scared?

Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/7/2011, 9:45 pm

Don't be scared. That's what seeds are for. Plant, try, cross-fingers, pray or whatever else works for you, etc. Plant again if it doesn't work the first time....it's only seeds. And thank goodness that most of us don't have our survival linked to the success or failure of a crop. Makes me think, often, of all our ancestors and the challenges they faced, when it DID matter.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/7/2011, 10:02 pm

In the end, BackYardBirdGardener has the best idea: flip a coin. The actual last frost date will vary by much more than two weeks.

Granted you would like to be more accurate, so one source that I found to be helpful is the national weather service. You can see a graph of what average temperatures are over the year as well as actual temperatures for this year and past years.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gyx/climate/cliplot/yeardisp.php?siteid=gyx&stn=KCON&submit=Yearly+Charts

Beyond that just keep watching weather reports to see when the last frost is expected for this year.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down