Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 Toplef10DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 I22gcj10DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 Toplef10DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 I22gcj10DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well...

+21
Healing Garden
Megan
dixie
elliephant
ashort
Weedless_
FarmerValerie
jerzyjen
Furbalsmom
CrystalinNC
Goosegirl
Selandra
janefss2002
kiwirose
BackyardBirdGardner
WardinWake
camprn
kimbertangleknot
quiltbea
boffer
Squat_Johnson
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 Empty Re: DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well...

Post  dixie 2/28/2011, 9:13 pm

I thought thick layers of newspaper would work as well as the weed fabric. It dissolved the first season in the 2 beds that were done with newspaper & they are full of green onions. I've been removing MMix & putting weed fabric down. What a job!
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 Empty Re: DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well...

Post  Megan 2/28/2011, 10:19 pm

Early spring 2010, saw the MM literally CRAWLING with tiny little buggy semi-transparent wormy things. Thought, wow, cool, life! Did nothing. A week or so later: Approximately 12 squintillion flea beetles. From there on out it was a race with the buggies. It always is, I know, but I wish I'd gotten a jump on them.

:boohoo: get that pesky wabbi

I am ready and waiting with the DE, this time!!!!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 Empty Compressed means compressed

Post  Healing Garden 3/4/2011, 9:09 am

I bought 3 cu ft of peat moss that said compressed on the label. I interpreted that to mean that its final volume would be 3 cu ft but that it was compressed for sale.
DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 44ad9c7e-be28-4155-b2ac-356498d7f0de_300
Over thinking this one meant I had twice as much peat in my first box as required. Plants don't like this. Can you tell which one of my boxes had too much peat? DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE - and post your newbie mistake as well... - Page 2 2010-111
Healing Garden
Healing Garden

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 3/4/2011, 11:36 am

I too have made the mistake with the compressed Peat Moss. My SFG gets a nice "crust" on top. I am building some 2 X 8 boxes for my tomatoes this year and will remove some of the MM from my original box and add some compost to even out the Peat Moss ratio. Live and learn!
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin 3/22/2011, 9:24 am

boffer wrote:
Squat_Johnson wrote:What was your newbie mistake?

Filling out the plant tag marker; sticking it in the square; not planting the seeds!

Something that simple, I had to develop a routine for myself to follow everytime I planted.

Have a friend who did the opposite - she was on pain meds (post surgery) and decided that she could sit and plant. She planted the seeds and didn't fill out any tags. The next day (once the meds wore off) she had no idea what she had planted where.
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Post  mirta 4/6/2011, 10:17 pm

Remember to keep an exact chart of where you plant everything, because your then 3 yr old WILL pull up ALL of your plant labels and rearrange them sporadically around your garden several times per day!

Do not plant cucumbers and zucchini and some kind of squash literally right next to each other... ummm... interesting cross breed.. Same said for varieties of beans..

Some days it really IS better to pick those voluntary plants otherwise they will take over the whole garden!! (I had put some whole rotting pumpkins into my composts two years ago.. well... when I put the compost on the yard last spring apparently there were still some whole pumpkin seeds in the compost! I know that because I never planted pumpkins but ended up with SEVERAL voluntary pumpkin vines growing... At first I wasn't sure what they were other then some sort of squash type plant and because of DS moving all my markers I let them grow, in case it was some thing I planted.. eventually the plants just took over, but at least we got some yummy pumpkins out of it!
mirta

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/7/2011, 7:33 am

mirta wrote:Do not plant cucumbers and zucchini and some kind of squash literally right next to each other... ummm... interesting cross breed.. Same said for varieties of beans...

+1 lol!

Ended up with some yellow crookneck WINTER squash!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/7/2011, 7:37 am

Goosegirl wrote:
elliephant wrote:I'm pretty sure the paper scraps I pulled out of the dryer yesterday used to be my planting map. Shocked

Did that with a paycheck once. I think I would be more upset about my planting map - the paycheck was easy to have reprinted when I showed the boss the remnants with his distinct signature! Trying to remember what I drew on my planting map? IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Gah, the stuff of a nightmare.

My drivers licence fell into my caravan toilet with that blue stuff in the water Shocked Had to fish it out to return it to get a new copy.

This year

Forgot to label a tray of seed.

Sowed Sweetpeas at the depth of edible peas.

Sowed Cauliflowers in a tray, forgot they don't like root disturbance.

Yesterday took my eye off a tray of salad leaf seedlings with no net over and turned round to find a woodpigeon tucking in.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum