Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 Toplef10Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 I22gcj10Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 Toplef10Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 I22gcj10Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :(

+13
ander217
Selandra
boffer
quiltbea
Rolanaj
Chopper
Megan
BackyardBirdGardner
kimbertangleknot
Squat_Johnson
Blackrose
middlemamma
dizzygardener
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 Empty Re: Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :(

Post  dizzygardener 1/27/2011, 4:49 pm

Evil or Very Mad grrrrrrrrr garlic is really starting to tick me off! It can't go next to this or that or the other thing! With all the onions and garlic and chives in my beds I hardly have space to plant anything but carrots and radishes!

I might just leave garlic out of the mix this year or put it in a separate container!

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 671790
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 Empty Re: Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :(

Post  Rolanaj 1/27/2011, 5:03 pm

I hear you on that I find that one of the hardest things to do, juggling what goes where. I thought I had it and then found out the potatoes and tomatoes don't like each other and don't plant corn by the tomatoes as the tomato fruitworm and the corn earworm are identical. Grrrr!! It's like a giant puzzle.
Rolanaj

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/27/2011, 5:12 pm

dizzygardener wrote: Evil or Very Mad grrrrrrrrr garlic is really starting to tick me off!

There are those of us who have been successfully gardening for a few years without a thought about companion planting. That is a viable option for you, too.

Another option would be to start with a simple objective plan for this year: what 3 pairs of plants should I absolutely not plant close together.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/27/2011, 11:10 pm

Don't be so strict with yourself the first year. Take some chances. The fact that they don't like each other doesn't mean that your variety won't mature just fine near its unlikely neighbor.

My first year I just put crops wherever I wanted, not even knowing about likes and dislikes and companions, and I did just fine. An enviable crop considering the torrential rains we had that drowned many Maine row gardens. Mine survived with several crops doing surprisingly well.

Take a chance.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Selandra 1/27/2011, 11:33 pm

say to yourself... "I do not have to plant every variation of every type of seed in the first year"

also... "I will write down where I planted what so I do not have to post pics asking 'what is this plant' on SFG"

and lets not forget... "less is more".
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/27/2011, 11:35 pm

Couldn't agree more with the past few posts. We so need an "agree" or "like" button Smile
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 Empty companion planting

Post  ander217 1/28/2011, 10:26 am

I'm with Boffer on this one. I tried companion planting a few times but I can't say it made much difference. Problem is, it's not just that some plants don't "like" each other. Some grow fine together but attract the same pests, or deplete the soil of the same nutrients, etc. While they may work well together for one purpose, they are detrimental for others. In gardens as small as most of us have, it's just not feasible to try to avoid all the combinations the books guard against.

I'd plant as you will, and if something turns out to be a real problem for you, note it and avoid that combination next year to see if that was really the problem. I'd make sure it was companion planting that was the culprit. With so many possibilities, it's difficult to blame a crop failure on any one thing.

The only plants I've truly found to be a problem are walnut trees. Nothing grows well near them except grass, a few weeds and vines, and strawberries, in my experience.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 1/28/2011, 11:18 am

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely try to stop being so obsessive about companions etc. Maybe I will do garlic after all!

I just had a very informative conversation with our local horticulturist. Turns out most of the info I found online was wrong for my area.

Case in point: I'm actually in 6b. Very squarely in 6b though almost every online source said I was in 7a.

Also, my average last frost day is May 15 not Apr 26 as most online sources say.

That's a very big difference. Now I have to redo my planting schedule. very sad
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/28/2011, 11:45 am

dizzygardener wrote:Thanks everyone. I'll definitely try to stop being so obsessive about companions etc. Maybe I will do garlic after all!

I just had a very informative conversation with our local horticulturist. Turns out most of the info I found online was wrong for my area.

Case in point: I'm actually in 6b. Very squarely in 6b though almost every online source said I was in 7a.

Also, my average last frost day is May 15 not Apr 26 as most online sources say.

That's a very big difference. Now I have to redo my planting schedule. very sad

Where about in the mountains are you? May seems a trifle long even for the western NC mountains. I was going through one of the posts last night and found this link. Check it out here! (can't remember who posted it it, I was on another mission, so thanks to who did!) And the majority of what I was planning on doing is pretty much spot on. Our 90%+ last chance of frost date is the 27th of April, but I was planning on, no matter what, to have plants in the ground the first weekend of May and staring my seeds this next weekend and trying what quiltbea was doing. (I had a lot of success with my seeds the year before, but the transplant shock was a big problem due to my eagerness).
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Back to top Go down

Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 Empty Garden planning

Post  walkaboutgirl 2/8/2011, 10:30 am

How did you create those great pictures of your beds? Is that a special software?
Thanks, Laurie
walkaboutgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/8/2011, 11:37 am

walkaboutgirl wrote:How did you create those great pictures of your beds? Is that a special software?
Thanks, Laurie

www.gardeners.com has a garden planning thing. Check it out here. It's pretty neat and useful for starting out. It doesn't have every single thing on it, but it has the most popular stuff for sure.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 2/8/2011, 4:56 pm

kimbertangleknot wrote:
walkaboutgirl wrote:How did you create those great pictures of your beds? Is that a special software?
Thanks, Laurie

www.gardeners.com has a garden planning thing. Check it out here. It's pretty neat and useful for starting out. It doesn't have every single thing on it, but it has the most popular stuff for sure.

That's the site I used. Very helpful if limited in choice.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/9/2011, 12:58 am

I am kinda with Boffer and Ander. My space is too small to get hung up on companion planting and I have found conflicting information too about what is good together and what isn't. I put both onions and garlic randomly throughout my garden and flower beds since they are supposed to repel various bugs. Not sure if it helps or not to be perfectly honest but they don't take a whole lot of space that way and I can then use the square they would have used for something else. Maybe that is why my onions don't get very big....I don't know.

I am also not too great at keeping records. I always mean to, and very often start but then get rather lazy and forgetful and my good intentions fall by the wayside. However, I am not going to worry about it. I garden for ME and we do get some great eats out of it.

Above all.....gardening is supposed to be enjoyable and I need it to RELIEVE stress in my life not add more.

Gwynn/The Lazy Gardener
Novice gardener struggling with planning. HELP! :( - Page 2 90640
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/9/2011, 7:36 pm

I read about companion planting last year and drove myself crazy moving squares around on paper. To save sanity, I tried to reduce it to simpler ideas:

* If it tastes good in spaghetti sauce, it probably grows well together.
* Curcurbits and brassicas are friends and do not like spaghetti sauce.
* Keep big vines away from little stuff, unless little stuff doesn't mind getting beat up.
* Big vines play moderately well with big vines, if you give them enough space.

As far as the benefits of companion planting, I don't know if it worked or not. But in general terms, the only thing that had issues was the last one. The vines did well, but what happened was that some were done earlier than others. I wanted to rip them out to start something else, but they were deeply entwined with other plants still growing, so I had to leave them be.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 2/9/2011, 8:59 pm

Thats genius !!!!!!!!

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/9/2011, 9:32 pm

acara wrote:Thats genius !!!!!!!!

Thankee! I guess that is the dyslexic in me. I kept seeing companion connections between "tomatoes (and all the other nightshades), peppers, onions, basil, etc. etc." and thinking there was a guideline hiding in there somewhere. Then forgot about it for ages... and woke up one day, presto, there it was!

If this goes viral, you heard it here first! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 3/21/2011, 11:24 pm

kimbertangleknot wrote:
I love gardeners garden planner, it's so awesome aint it?

I'll have to try that next year. I did my plan the hard way.

xoxo
Cyne
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum