Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? Toplef10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? I22gcj10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? Toplef10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? I22gcj10Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

+7
Patty from Yorktown
Goosegirl
Old Hippie
miinva
camprn
Megan
ander217
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? Empty Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

Post  ander217 1/20/2011, 10:30 am

I'm tired of fighting bermuda grass in my current herb bed. We placed plastic edging 5" deep all around the perimeter but the bermuda grass rhizomes went right under it and cropped back up all over the herb bed last year. I'd also like to move my herbs right outside my door so I can get to them easily even at night when I take a whim to use them in cooking.

Has anyone grown perennial herbs in a SFG box? I currently grow lavender, rosemary, chives, Greek oregano, French tarragon, bee balm, two kinds of sage, and I keep trying to grow English thyme but I kill it almost as well as I do rosemary. Some of those are woody plants, and most of them spread over time. I'm wondering how well they would work when planted together in a SFG box. But it's the only solution I can think of to get them away from that awful bermuda grass. Should I make the squares 2' instead of 1' to give them plenty of growing room? Do they need to put their roots deep into the soil to become well established?

What about dill? I've always grown dill in soil. I want to make a permanent dill bed in one corner of my garden where it can reseed itself annually. I also worry about bermuda grass in that corner of the garden, although we've done our best to eradicate it with heavy layers of straw mulch and rice hulls. Would it reseed as readily in MM in a box? I grow the taller varieties of dill, and wasn't sure how well they stand up in a box. Do they need support?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? Empty Re: Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 8:10 am

Ander,

My herbs are either right in the ground or in containers. Some of the woody ones (marjoram, especially, and oregano is probably similar) can produce deep roots if allowed. I had to break up a clump the other year and they were at least 6-8" down. Chives can go nearly as deep. I've tried thyme in pots and failed, but it grows happily in the ground. I'm not sure if maybe the soil temp is cooler in the ground?

You know much more about dill than I do. All I can input there is a vague memory from California of someone's dill being about as all as I was, and it had no help whatsoever.

Maybe you could fill some fill some SFG boxes or other containers with Mix and dedicate them to your herbs? It really is nice to have them handy to the front door (or kitchen door).

Does Bee Balm come back every year? Mine did so well last year, I am hoping (lazily!) for a re-do without much extra effort.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? Empty Re: Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

Post  camprn 2/20/2011, 9:25 am

yeah, Ander I feel your pain. You may need to go the container route. Megan, yes Bee Balm is perennial.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 9:38 am

camprn wrote:Megan, yes Bee Balm is perennial.

That's what I thought I'd read. The seed heads were quite productive, too, so I have no idea what is in store for me. (I do hope the lantana survived, though!)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 2/20/2011, 11:48 am

My bee balm comes back every year, but seems to be a smaller and smaller patch, so this year I'm hoping to collect some seed to help it along next year. I might just buy plants if I find them reasonably priced, I don't know.

I've thought about doing an herb bed too, Ander. We pulled the oregano out of the SFG's last fall and divided it, then put some of it in pots and put it back in the SFG, where it flourished. I would rather give it a small box of its own, though. I dream of a spot that consists of many small SFG boxes, one for each herb or two, but that's not in the plan for this year.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/20/2011, 12:40 pm

Ander, one of my 4' squares is a dedicated herb bed. Most of my garden is not pure MM
but in garden soil amended with MM and are raised beds right in the
ground. My herb garden is pretty close to the back door and so handy. Perennial plants in my herb garden are oregano, thyme, marjoram, sage, chives and garlic. They do fantastic in my garden, despite our winters. The borage is actually an annual but reseeds itself everywhere. I don't really use it for anything other than to attract the bees. They love it. I can't seem to grow lavender or rosemary to save my life and for some reason I have not had good luck with dill reseeding itself here like my mom and grandma did when I was a kid. I love the look of it, just growing everywhere and you can always pull it up fairly easily if it starts somewhere that you don't want it. They never staked theirs but I have no idea what variety it was or if that even makes any difference. I have grown the short dill variety and am quite happy with it, but it doesn't give the lovely seed heads that the tall stuff does.

I have grown herbs in pots too but have not had great success with them as perennials. There doesn't seem to be enough protection for the roots when they are in pots. Mind you, I have never really bothered to do anything to protect them over the winter either and I guess the -35C temps are hard enough on plants in the ground, never mind those in pots. If you were able to give them some extra protection over the winter they might work for you.

From my experience with SFG which is only two years, the 1 foot squares seem to be fine for herbs. However, when I grew them before in a dedicated herb bed, they had roughly the same amount of space. Using 2' squares might give them more protection for the roots over the winter but might not be necessary otherwise. You could always put lettuce, radishes or parsley in around them or in the corners. That way, as the oregano grows bigger and spreads you can just use up the other things to give it more room.

Best of luck in working out some kind of system to beat the grass.

Gwynn

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? 90640
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? Empty RE: Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes?

Post  Goosegirl 2/20/2011, 2:38 pm

miinva wrote: I dream of a spot that consists of many small SFG boxes, one for each herb or two, but that's not in the plan for this year.

That is exactly what I have planned for this year! I have a bed right off the back porch dedicated to herbs that I am going to re-do this year with individual boxes for each herb. This is the only area of my 3 actual 'garden' sites that I have not done anything to amend the soil, so success with an herb garden has been limited in the black clay, but I have high hopes for this year.

The SFG forum and all of the encouragement from everyone has firmed my resolve to GET A DIGITAL CAMERA!!! I want to get pictures of the MESS my yard is in right now (didn't even clean up last fall) and what it is when I am done setting up SFG.

Goosegirl
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 2/20/2011, 2:50 pm

Hi,
I have grown an herb garden in a square foot garden bed for years. It works fine. Herbs like tough love. Do not over water or add too much nutrition to your garden. Most herbs respond very well to lots of clipping. The more you clip, the more you get. Be careful about members of the mint family, they are garden thugs. Oregeno and marjoram are members of the mint family, plus they tend to cross pollinate. If you go the pot route rosemary does not like to be moved or to have wet feet. Good luck with your new fresh herbs for cooking. It is great fun, not to mention very convenient and cheap.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 2/20/2011, 4:24 pm

This is such a great idea Ander...maybe next year for me...you will have to keep us posted on how it goes. I have the nasty grass here as well...2 layers of weed cloth has kept mine at bay, but when we do the other side of the garden this year I am going to put newspaper and cardboard under everything too for double security.

I hope you beat that grass and get your herb garden!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 5:49 pm

Goosegirl wrote: I want to get pictures of the MESS my yard is in right now (didn't even clean up last fall) and what it is when I am done setting up SFG.

Bwahahah, that is exactly what I did in my Megan's 2011 Garden thread. The grand mess of my backyard shame is laid out for all to see. Now I *HAVE* to fix it! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/20/2011, 5:56 pm

Megan wrote:
Goosegirl wrote: I want to get pictures of the MESS my yard is in right now (didn't even clean up last fall) and what it is when I am done setting up SFG.

Bwahahah, that is exactly what I did in my Megan's 2011 Garden thread. The grand mess of my backyard shame is laid out for all to see. Now I *HAVE* to fix it! Very Happy

That is EXACTLY what I am hoping it will do for me! Nothing like embarrassment to motivate a procrastinator!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 6:26 pm

You go, girl! *knuckle-bump* Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/20/2011, 6:33 pm

I am the Procrastination QUEEN!! Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 6:40 pm

Yes, and worse luck, I put a major hurt on one of my fingers yesterday. I'd planned on doing some yard cleanup today, but that's going to have to wait. Maybe next weekend. Sad
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/20/2011, 7:57 pm

Just ordered my digital camera from Overstock - let the accountability begin! Embarassed
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 2/20/2011, 8:34 pm

What the heck did you do to your finger? I hope it heals fast Megan I know how badly you want to get out there and get going. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 8:54 pm

Chopped the end off. Yuck.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/20/2011, 8:56 pm

Yikes! Bad enough for stitches?
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 8:59 pm

Nothing to stitch up, though the skin has retracted a bit. It didn't get into the joint or any tendons, thank goodness. Not much on a fingertip aside from skin, blood vessels, and nerve endings. (Ouch!)

Last edited by Megan on 2/20/2011, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/20/2011, 9:00 pm

Megan wrote:Chopped the end off. Yuck.

Akkkkkk! That terrible! How did that happen?? Get better soon!

Gwynn

Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 9:03 pm

Got distracted while chopping up broccoli for soup. Not a good thing to do while wielding a 10" chef's knife. But I will have my revenge tonight... soup's on! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/20/2011, 9:21 pm

Poor Megan Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? 277611 OUCH
Hope that soups good.

Herbs= I forgot what i was goin to ask. Perennials or reseeding plants in SFG boxes? 601593
gotta re---read to refresh my memory
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/20/2011, 9:52 pm

Bee Balm
I have grown it everywhere I have lived except here. I love its weird aroma and how the hummingbirds flock to it.
So how do you use Bee Balm as an Herb? Is it similar to Lemon Balm? I am growing Lemon Balm
this year from seed. Have no idea what I am going to use it in.(dishes) I don't have much experience with fresh home grown herbs from the gardens.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/20/2011, 9:56 pm

Lemon Balm makes a wonderful tea. Look out, though, because it is highly invasive! *whistles innocently*

I have only read a little about Bee Balm's use as an herb, but apparently both the blooms and leaves can be used as a tea. I liked it because the bees and butterflies adore it. (It's also quite colorful.)

Last edited by Megan on 2/20/2011, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 2/20/2011, 9:59 pm

I grew a wide variety of herbs in pots last year and I grabbed a variety and threw it in lots of things, with no consideration for what anyone recommends goes together *giggle* Our very favorite was little new potatoes drizzled in olive oil and then sprinkled with whatever herbs I collected and baked until soft. The flavor was just amazing!
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next