Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What a dilemma Toplef10What a dilemma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What a dilemma I22gcj10What a dilemma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What a dilemma Toplef10What a dilemma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What a dilemma I22gcj10What a dilemma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What a dilemma

5 posters

Go down

What a dilemma Empty What a dilemma

Post  jumiclads 1/17/2011, 6:52 pm

I need to order seeds for the coming season, but, with all the work I have to do to get the garden ready I am not sure which to buy. I am buying them from The Real Seed Company here in the UK and they only produce small amounts of seed and are running out already of some seeds so I need to order soon. If I order now and don't use them it will be a waste of a years life of the seeds. What would you do and if you were to order any which ones would you choose. I know its my choice but just pretend your me for a minute.

Last edited by ander217 on 1/18/2011, 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fix spelling of thread title)
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

What a dilemma Empty Re: What a dilemma

Post  Megan 1/17/2011, 7:22 pm

Wow, that IS a dilemma!

I would first of all consider what veggies/herbs I love to eat, and already buy regularly. This would form my initial list.

Then I would cross out the ones I know are

• veggies not suited to my growing region (tomatillos are a struggle, here)
  • tough to grow (celery)
  • easy to find in acceptable quality at the store (cheap, organic!) (carrots and celery, here)
  • space hogs like corn

Then un-crossout any of those that you want to try anyway!! Smile This would be my pared-down list.

Then I would consider whether any of my local friends or SFG forum buddies have any seed to share. If yes, cross those off.

Then decide, what items you want to special-order, versus what you can buy in a local big-box garden store. (Unless, of course, you want to exclusively special-order to support your chosen store.)

For me, that decision comes down to heirlooms / specialty plants versus simple things like parsley, chives, marigolds, lettuces etc. that I can buy in a big box store at a low price. My big-box lettuce mix did GREAT last year and, but I do want to experiment with with some heirloom types. There is absolutely nothing wrong with big-box seed, in my book. It is probably more resistant to diseases/problems than the heirlooms and is popular because it is... popular. (If that makes any sense? Smile ) And hopefully nothing completely wrong for your area is being sold locally. I think I ran into a problem with one tomato I ordered from Baker Creek, that way. It's a nice tomato plant but after growing it last year, something tells me it is not right for Virginia. I think it would do better further south. (Or, maybe I just had bad luck. I don't know.) I don't know if there are lots of growing zones in Britain, maybe that's not as big of a problem for you?

Also, remember that seeds generally stay good for several years, so don't think that older seed won't work. Your germination rate might not be as good, but I have had very acceptable results from 3-4 year old seed in the past. Plus, if you order something and don't use it, perhaps you could use it in trade for something else, too.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 1/18/2011, 9:50 am

Mick - also consider the "IHA' and "ISO" threads here. Several people are willing to share seeds. I plan on ordering from Baker Creek this year and many of the packs contain 250 seeds! Way more than I can use. I scored some gorgeous Black Cherry & Isis tomatoes last year from a friend here. I will definitely be posting extras here. =)

And like Megan said - the seeds will be good for more than 1 year, so don't fret too much if you can't use them all.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

What a dilemma Empty what to plant

Post  ander217 1/18/2011, 9:54 am

I second everything Megan and Nancy said, and I would add one thing - don't forget to order seeds now for fall crops, too. If you intend to do three-season gardening, it's sometimes difficult to find seeds for sale in late summer. I sometimes forget to plan that far ahead.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/18/2011, 10:51 am

Wow what a great response. I really love this forum. You get sensible replies.

I will seriously think about just ordering everything I would like and then store what I don't use for the next season. Like you say most of packets have hundreds of seeds in and I would not be able to use all of them in one year so would have to store them anyway.

I think if I can stay awake long enough in the evening after working on the garden I will start doing some planning and work out some 3 season growing and companion crops aswell.

Not sure about swapping seeds though as I would have to find someone in the EU to exchange with. All my seeds will be Heirloom and Open Pollinated types because I mostly remember the vedge I ate as a child tasting far different from todays and would like a piece of it back.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 1/18/2011, 1:59 pm

I was just going to say -- Mick, you're spot on about international seed swaps -- you're likely to lose them at customs, whichever way you're sending.

I've had no problem with getting commercially-prepared seed in commercial packets, but I think they'd throw a bit of a fit if you were sending homegrown seeds.

And with commercially-prepared seed, I'm prepared to lose it anyway, and no one is out more than some loose change. I think I'd cry if I lost someone's heirloom seed.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down