Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 Toplef10Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 I22gcj10Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 Toplef10Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 I22gcj10Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Holy snow Batman!

+40
brianj555
BeetlesPerSqFt
runsamok
CitizenKate
Turan
has55
countrynaturals
MrBooker
llama momma
Robbomb116
CapeCoddess
mschaef
milt48
68carguy
Zmoore
Scorpio Rising
yolos
FRED58
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
donnainzone5
Triciasgarden
happyfrog
gregrenee88
Kelejan
CarolynPhillips
Blackrose
kimbertangleknot
BackyardBirdGardner
quill33
Furbalsmom
CindiLou
janefss2002
Josh
Megan
dixie
quiltbea
camprn
middlemamma
44 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 Empty Re: Holy snow Batman!

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/24/2011, 12:02 am

There are those who hate the snow and those who get stranded in the snow and I really am sorry for those who get stranded and find themselves in a bad way.
I think the snow is that the north gets is very pretty.. we hardly ever see it so it is fascinating to me and when we get just a flurry our eyes are fixed at the windows.

Love all the snow pics.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 Empty Holy snow Batman II

Post  Kelejan 12/20/2012, 9:56 am

Just been reading this thread that started December and finished in January of this year so decided to start over. Some very funny cartoons and some interesting pictures.
Yesterday evening I cleared my driveway of about 10 cm (4") of snow before settling down for the evening. Woke up at 2pm to see that the snow was still coming down steadily so measured the depth 14cm (6 1/2"). This morning at 6am it is 30cm (13") and still coming down with a forecast of another 10cm before turning to RAIN!
That is going to cause such a mess. Then back to more snow etc.
So glad I do not have to commute to work. I feel for all who do, including all the people who deliver our mail or otherwise have outdoor jobs.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/20/2012, 11:06 am

Holy snow Batman II

Bumped. as per suggestion by Camprn.

I have spent half an shovelling my 30cm of and and reckon I am about halfway, a third if you include what the snowplow will dump later on the day.
At my age I try to pace myself and try to quit before I get tired out.
Until four years ago my elderly neighbours used to clear the heavy snow for me with their snowblowers; they both said they would look after me as long as they could, and they did, bless their hearts.
Temperature is just above freezing now and the snow is turning to rain. I will have a rest and then go and do some more. I have no need of "Curves" this week. Very Happy
If you read from the beginning of this thread son't forget it is January of this year 2012, not next year 2013.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 12/20/2012, 2:06 pm

I couldn't resist! Renee rendeer

Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 Frosty10
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/20/2012, 2:50 pm

kelejan - eeks on the snow! definitely pace yourself so you don't hurt yourself. personally, i set a timer for 5 minutes and quit for an hour or two, otherwise, i'd clear everything in one go and be in bad shape afterwards.

my kids are not quite old enough to do the work for me - but they're getting closer to being truly useful in that capacity.

we're gearing up for icky-ness to hit us very soon. it's cruddy sideways windy rain right now. gonna change over to snow later. guessing only a couple inches snow will hit, but with the ice, blech.

i went out and sprinkled the sidewalks and steps with the ice melt stuff to hopefully make it easier for clearing when it's (the storm that's here/coming) done.

renee - loved the cartoon. made me laugh. showed it to my son and he laughed loudly outloud. thank you for sharing that - esp on such a yucky cold to the bone day here in ohio!

happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 12/20/2012, 3:43 pm

happyfrog wrote:kelejan - eeks on the snow! definitely pace yourself so you don't hurt yourself. personally, i set a timer for 5 minutes and quit for an hour or two, otherwise, i'd clear everything in one go and be in bad shape afterwards.

my kids are not quite old enough to do the work for me - but they're getting closer to being truly useful in that capacity.

we're gearing up for icky-ness to hit us very soon. it's cruddy sideways windy rain right now. gonna change over to snow later. guessing only a couple inches snow will hit, but with the ice, blech.

i went out and sprinkled the sidewalks and steps with the ice melt stuff to hopefully make it easier for clearing when it's (the storm that's here/coming) done.

renee - loved the cartoon. made me laugh. showed it to my son and he laughed loudly outloud. thank you for sharing that - esp on such a yucky cold to the bone day here in ohio!

You are welcome! I grew up in northeast Ohio and all of my family still lives there. How much snow are you expecting?
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/20/2012, 4:20 pm

renee - only a couple of inches of snow expected. what i don't like is the ice that will likely come as well. the wind has been fierce - the kids and i have been watching the oak trees being twisted outside and wonder how many trees will be down by end of this storm. many trees are weak from the summer storms that occurred. so it's a bit worrisome but not panic'y - we're well prepared for most any scenario here. Smile i even had the kids tidy up the backyard for me and put all the toys and 'stuff' they have in the lee of the fence so hopefully we won't have to go several streets over tomorrow and reclaim our 'stuff'. (folks around here have gotten smarter and label their outdoor furniture and stuff so they can get it back after storm passes, lol.)

how's it going in Maryland?

blessings,
bettyann
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 12/20/2012, 4:54 pm

happyfrog wrote:renee - only a couple of inches of snow expected. what i don't like is the ice that will likely come as well. the wind has been fierce - the kids and i have been watching the oak trees being twisted outside and wonder how many trees will be down by end of this storm. many trees are weak from the summer storms that occurred. so it's a bit worrisome but not panic'y - we're well prepared for most any scenario here. Smile i even had the kids tidy up the backyard for me and put all the toys and 'stuff' they have in the lee of the fence so hopefully we won't have to go several streets over tomorrow and reclaim our 'stuff'. (folks around here have gotten smarter and label their outdoor furniture and stuff so they can get it back after storm passes, lol.)

how's it going in Maryland?

blessings,
bettyann

LOL! We used to live in Florida so having things fly around the yard during any tropical storm or hurricane is quite a familiar thing to us. Maryland is good. It is nice having such a variety of landscape here. We are located between the Catoctin & Cumberland mountain range and 1.5 hrs northwest of DC. Where are you in location to Cleveland?
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/20/2012, 5:19 pm

i'm in central ohio. Smile

latest snow update - i might get up to 5inches. oh, promises! i doubt we'll get more than 2inches - we never get what is promised - somehow we end up in a 'hole' in the storms and miss out on the accumulation - which hurt us all summer - we got wind damage, but not as much rain as we needed, so my garden had to be watered more than i'd like. (i'm a lazy gardener - why i love SFG so much - and stuff thrives even in neglect in mel's mix).
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/20/2012, 7:18 pm

I sure feel for you Bettyann! I saw last night what the weather was going to be like for Ohio today and it sounds so fun!, lol. I was wondering how you got your things back. That is such a great idea to label your outdoor furniture. That would be funny to try to guess how far away it will be after each storm!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/20/2012, 9:19 pm

Cleared my driveway of the 13 inches of snow but have not got round to clearing the car, well, half a car as it is partway under my small carport.
Luckily I had an email cancelling a meeting I was to attend at 6:30pm so I will leave the car until morning.
It has finally stopped snowing, but the forecast is another 10cm (4 inches tonight ) and another 10-15cm tomorrow and some snow all next week.
I dug back through some historical records for November to March, 1979/1980 and 1996/1997, the first year we were in Canada and the first year we were in the house I live in now. Total snow was 213.6cm (just over 7ft)) and 437.6cm. (just over 14 ft +).
Most in one Montrh was November 1996 with nearly six feet, the month we moved into our house.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/20/2012, 11:56 pm

We in Maine get lots of snow but usually later in the season. This year we've already started with deeper amounts. On Dec 17th we got 7", not our first snow, and this weekend and over Christmas we expect more. I'm hoping its not very much because I'm pretty much hibernating during snow times. I hate driving in snow, not because of me, but the other guys.
Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 11-08-10
The view of my flower beds. The tall stalks are Monarda and the shorter bushes are roses.
Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 12-17-13
My son's Golden breaks trail for my short-legged Corgi Penny or she wouldn't be able to get thru the snow. They make a perfect pair.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/21/2012, 7:56 am

It was so nice to wake up today to find that there was no new snow to shovel. I will be able to get a little shopping done before it starts ahain this afternoon as forecast.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 12/21/2012, 4:49 pm

Not much snow in Southern Iowa...We did get rain first so ice is the problem. Only a couple inches of snow. But just north (as in 45 miles) they got 13"! My oldest daughter's work closed yesterday. This morning she had to go. The drive was ok the first part. After that is was bad. And the last 20 miles she went 25 miles an hour. Oh, sorry..she drives 60 miles to work. Usually only 1.25 hour drive. This morning was 2 hrs. Hope the roads are better for her to come home. I will have to have her take pics up there to compare to here!

Was our first snow of the season. I am afraid it will be like last year. Go all around us. We need the moisture bad. We are -7 inches as of the 1st of Dec!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/21/2012, 5:24 pm

wx update here - looks like we got 2-3inches - still snowing, but slowing down. pretty much dark out now so hard to see.

everything looks so pretty with snow covering on it. tomorrow the kids are hoping to have enough snow to build snow men and have a snowball fight with forts - they tried this afternoon, when grass was barely covered - only put together enough snow for a snow ball each, lol.

stay safe and warm, ya'll! we were supposed to be at a party tonight in cols but it's too icy in our area to drive that far tonight - there have been reported fatality crashes, so not worth the risk. so my family will be dining on homemade gingerbread cake (in shape of a man, lol) and baked mac and cheese and carrot (from my garden!!) cheesecake (those are what we were planning on bringing to the party) i'll have to post that carrot cheesecake recipe - i created it this past year - it tastes just like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, only better ('cause it's cheesecake, lol). i'll take pics of our snow covered garden in the morning to share. . .

happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/26/2015, 11:36 am

http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/weather-news/video/4631939477001/more-than-a-foot-of-snow-piles-up-in-oregon?autoStart=true

I measured anywhere from 9" to 23" on my property yesterday, with some drifts approaching 3'.

Merry Turkey Day to all!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/26/2015, 3:36 pm

Donna, Now, that's cold!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/26/2015, 3:45 pm

Bump - good place to post snow pics and stories. I found this older topic on snow. Some good photos and cartoons.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/26/2015, 7:37 pm

18F now, and dropping like a rock!  

Stomped out to my SFG today, scraped more than a foot of snow off the raised beds, and harvested some frizee, parsley, thyme, rosemary, a bit of Romaine, and sage for tonight's feast.  

Also added will be spuds, as well as the last few indoor-ripened tomatoes.  Picture to follow.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/27/2015, 8:47 am

Stay safe, Donna!   (Brrrrrr.....)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/27/2015, 11:50 am

It reached -9 F this morning.  But never fear, my trusty purring cats and my heat pump, along with two blankets, a quilt, and a heavy bedspread, kept me warm and toasty.

I managed to get my car down the driveway day before yesterday, but couldn't get back up again.  Fortunately, a neighbor driving by noticed my Audi's distress and called her husband, who came trotting over with a snow shovel.  I'd already gotten mine out of the garage, so the two of us remedied the situation.  

My biggest risk in this weather is a slip-and-fall injury; however, I do have good treads on my snow boots.

That homemade cornbread stuffing with fresh SFG herbs was a standout last night!  Not to mention the mashed potatoes and salad, which was much enhanced by the frisee and tomatoes from the garden.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/27/2015, 2:44 pm

You and your cats sound very comfortable, and the meal sounds delicious. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/28/2015, 8:34 am

-9....  And I thought Oregon was supposed to be a warmer climate - more like ours, even though you're much further north....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 11/28/2015, 12:09 pm

Marie,

We Oregonians enjoy a variety of geography, climates, and scenery.

The section of Central Oregon where I live is sandwiched between the Cascade Mountains and the desert.  My elevation is approximately 3,657 feet above sea level. The climate is dry, with approximately 12" of precipitation annually, most of which falls as snow.  

Our growing season typically ranges from 70 to 90 days.

Most out-of-staters think of Oregon in terms of the soggy, forested Willamette Valley, or perhaps the coast.  

The Cascades feature a number of volcanoes, some of which could become active. In fact, Bend is the home of a small, extinct volcano, which is within city limits about a mile from my SFG.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Holy snow Batman!  - Page 2 Empty Snow - new

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/28/2015, 2:31 pm

Yep!  I'm thinking of the coast....  and the rain forest.

Glad your volcano is extinct!!  That could get downright exciting otherwise!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next