Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from Central Arkansas Toplef10Greetings from Central Arkansas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from Central Arkansas I22gcj10Greetings from Central Arkansas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from Central Arkansas Toplef10Greetings from Central Arkansas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from Central Arkansas I22gcj10Greetings from Central Arkansas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greetings from Central Arkansas

5 posters

Go down

Greetings from Central Arkansas Empty Greetings from Central Arkansas

Post  GardenZen 12/9/2010, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Regional forums ander217.

From that map that is referenced, looks like I am close to the border of Upper South and Mid South. But in the more detailed zone map I am in 7b, so I am calling myself Mid South Very Happy

Just wanted to intro myself and look forward to getting to know some of my "neighbors" here.

Also, this coming year will be my first as SFGer......any suggestions on seed catalogs or best exchanges, etc let me know. I'm starting from scratch so any help/advice is welcome.
GardenZen
GardenZen

Male Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Central Arkansas Empty Re: Greetings from Central Arkansas

Post  happyfrog 12/9/2010, 12:41 pm

when it comes to seed catalogs, i don't think a person can ever have too many. even if one never buys from them all. they're just so encouraging to thumb thru when there's coldness outside. ..

totally tomatoes is a fun one for me.

as i mentioned on another thread, http://www.growitalian.com/ grow italian is another favorite. Smile

what i'd suggest - esp if you're just starting out seed catalog mailing list desireing (gosh that's a mouthful of a sentence, lol)

is to google seed catalog and then open up tabs for each link given. that's what i did. somehow you do that, and once y9ou get a few catalogs, you'll get tons more you didn't request. Smile which is fine with me.

i'll try to hunt up the thread - someone started semi recently about favorite seed catalogs that folks were adding to for a while . . . and that will also help you on your quest for catalogs. Smile

added in link: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/list-of-seed-companies-t4326.htm#36808

Last edited by happyfrog on 12/9/2010, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added in link)
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Central Arkansas Empty Hey, neighbor!

Post  dmsandlin 3/7/2011, 12:49 pm

GardenZen,
Sounds like we're close. I'm also in central AR. I started dabbling with SFG back in the fall, so this is my first run at it, too. Planting fever has been running rampant and my spinach, carrots, lettuce, onions, and pea sprouts are up. A row cover on frosty nights gets them through. Stalks of asparagus are coming up, and my garlic & shallots made it through the snow just fine. I even spotted my first strawberry yesterday, so I went ahead and placed some red marbles around the strawberry plants to teach the birds that round red things around my garden aren't very tasty.
Potatoes are going in this weekend - some in the ground, some in a big bucket. Maybe it will work, maybe it'll flop but it will be educational and (if they make it) easier to harvest. I started leek and parsley seeds indoors and will do the same for tomatoes and peppers. Just put in a blueberry bed in last week and still have 2 more veggie/flower beds to install before the back yard is finished.

I don't know if you've found it yet, but the U of A Extension has a great web site with lots of gardening info (for row-type gardens but still helpful) like planting dates, recommended varieties, etc.

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/

I tend to go for the heirloom seed catalogs, though I won't turn my nose up at Burpee, Gurney's, Park Seeds, or any others. They give me names and info that helps me when I go look at local stores. I've often found heirloom varieties locally that the catalog would charge more for, plus shipping. There's also an heirloom seed organization & store in Norfork, AR:

http://foodbanknca.org/seed_blog/

Several older vegetable varieties have come from the Ozarks, so look for them since they should do well for you.

How big are your beds?
What are you thinking on planting?
Have fun!
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Central Arkansas Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 3/7/2011, 2:58 pm

Welcome to the forum, dmsandlin. My hubby is from eastern AR.

That's a great tip about scattering red marbles in the strawberry patch. Have you tried it before? Now you've got me thinking about other ways to use them to scare away the birds. Wonder if I could rig up some way to hang blue marbles from the blueberry bushes or red marbles from the cherry trees? (Our blue jays are so greedy they would probably gobble down the marbles and never know the difference.)

Keep us posted on how your garden grows, and remember that we love to see photos.

Greetings from Central Arkansas 396615
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin 3/7/2011, 3:24 pm

ander217,
Thanks for the welcome!
First time to try the marble trick, but have heard others talk about it, though they mentioned using painted wooden balls of an appropriate size & color for the fruit you were trying to train the birds away from. In college I trained a pigeon to play ping-pong, so why not untrain the locals from eating my strawberries? And if that doesn't work, there's always netting (which I'll use for my blueberries).

Got any words of wisdom for a newbie?
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Central Arkansas Empty Greetings from Arkansas

Post  Sweetmama 3/21/2011, 4:34 pm

Laughing Welcome! You will love SFG. When others are toiling in the sun trying to keep up with the grass in their gardens, you will be enjoying a glass of sweet tea as you watch your garden grow!

I'm just outside of Fort Smith and this is my second year to SFG. I think I am right on the edge of middle south. This forum is a great place to get info. Enjoy!
Sweetmama
Sweetmama

Female Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Central Arkansas Empty Words of wisdom

Post  ander217 3/21/2011, 7:57 pm

dmsandlin wrote:Got any words of wisdom for a newbie?

I'm probably the last person to be giving words of wisdom. I made plenty of dumb newbie mistakes last year. My worst one was missing the line in the book which said that 4 cu ft of compressed peat moss fluffs up to 8 cu ft before mixing - we ended up with twice as much peat as needed, and therefore not enough compost. I had to add a bunch of soil amendments - bone meal, blood meal, epsom salts, - and doses of fish emulsion before my plants started growing.

The best wisdom that I've heard is to remember that they're just seeds, and if you mess up this year, you get to start fresh all over again next year. So enjoy, and don't stress out about it.

Happy gardening to you.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin 3/22/2011, 9:41 am

The best wisdom that I've heard is to remember that they're just seeds, and if you mess up this year, you get to start fresh all over again next year. So enjoy, and don't stress out about it.

That is good advice. Thanks!!
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down