Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  Toplef10It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  I22gcj10It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  Toplef10It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  I22gcj10It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!

+10
trustinhart
CindiLou
lovinlifew/3
Megan
Furbalsmom
Lemonie
acara
middlemamma
WardinWake
Ha-v-v
14 posters

Go down

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  Empty It's FREEZING in the Lower South!

Post  Ha-v-v 12/7/2010, 9:59 am

It has been cold for a few days actually. We had our first hard frost last week sometime. I just figured when the cold comes in the lower south its only a short time until spring. Time goes by so fast it will be no time and its January and I'm hunting for peat pots and anything that will hold a seed. I want things I can do in a warm spot until then:)

I plan to focus more on producing exactly what we will eat and I can put up. What will the giants in my house eat Shocked Things like that are on my mind now. I dont plan on doing more boxes, I want the boxes I have to be more efficient. I have 2 4x8 boxes and two 1x8 boxes I have lots to think about in the cold weather. Hot Cocoa sounds so good doesnt it?

Let the sun shine through those icicles Smile It will warm ya up, add your favorite warm cuppa if needed Smile Sit thinking about the seedlings to come.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  Empty Re: It's FREEZING in the Lower South!

Post  WardinWake 12/7/2010, 2:19 pm

Ha-v-v:

Cold here in Macclenny, FL where we are visiting. Great find at the local Feed store. Vermiculite in the 4 Cu Ft size bag Grade A3 Coarse. Exactly what the book calls for. Price was $15.70 per bag. The best price I have ever found in my travels or near home in Virginia. We bought 3 bags as we are expanding our strawberry planting with the idea of a U-Pick. Their bulk seed was at an excellent price as well so we stocked up. Normally I would not buy at this time of the year but the price was to good to pass up. Even if only 80 per cent sprout it is still a steal.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 12/7/2010, 2:46 pm

OH MY WORD...THAT is the cheapest vermiculite I have ever HEARD of....Wish you could bring some home for me! WOW...awesome find Ward...congrats.

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 12/7/2010, 4:29 pm

Nice .... it's $27.00/bag here...very jealous
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 12/7/2010, 5:28 pm

AMAZING deal! I just heard of a place 30min south of me that has it for $22/4cu ft. Got my first seed catalog yesterday and am making my homemade holiday (peppermint) hot cocoa and planning a wonderful evening flipping through pages while sitting by the tree. Keep warm everyone!
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 12/7/2010, 5:49 pm

WardinWake wrote:Ha-v-v:

Cold here in Macclenny, FL where we are visiting. Great find at the local Feed store. Vermiculite in the 4 Cu Ft size bag Grade A3 Coarse. Exactly what the book calls for. Price was $15.70 per bag. The best price I have ever found in my travels or near home in Virginia. We bought 3 bags as we are expanding our strawberry planting with the idea of a U-Pick. Their bulk seed was at an excellent price as well so we stocked up. Normally I would not buy at this time of the year but the price was to good to pass up. Even if only 80 per cent sprout it is still a steal.

WOW!!! Thats a crazy price, I pay 18.95 or 20 bucks for a bag, it depends on who I buy it from at the same gardening center:) I take the two prices because they dont have to sell it to me, they are selling it out of their own stock they use. Amazing seeds too !! You two are all set! Have a safe trip home and try to stay warm!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/8/2010, 2:01 am

51 degrees on the Southern OR Coast at 11 pm (Pacific Time).

I feel really sorry for you guys out East as I can see Reston, VA, near Manassas, VA is at 20 degrees right now. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lots o Maybe not snowing but cold. Keep those covers on.

From the Weather Channel
"Already in deep freeze, eastern part of nation will get another blast of winter. More snow on the way for weekend"
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 12/8/2010, 5:13 am

Furbalsmom wrote:51 degrees on the Southern OR Coast at 11 pm (Pacific Time).

I feel really sorry for you guys out East as I can see Reston, VA, near Manassas, VA is at 20 degrees right now. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lots o Maybe not snowing but cold. Keep those covers on.

You're tellin' me! BRRRRRRRRRR!!! Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lovinlifew/3 1/8/2011, 1:33 am

WardinWake wrote:Ha-v-v:

Was this at Bennet's? I go over to Jacksonville frequently and would love to get a few bags on my way.
lovinlifew/3

Back to top Go down

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  Empty Southern Iowa

Post  CindiLou 1/8/2011, 10:31 am

Temp all the way up to 8° at 9am here....supposed to warm up to the 20's then back down to single digits for the snow due in on Tuesday! Is it spring yet?
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  Empty Southside VA

Post  trustinhart 1/8/2011, 12:44 pm

Beautifully sunny here, but still a cold 37 with a wind chill of 29 and poor DH is out working on the tire on the car. I'll make him some hot cocoa and turn on the heating blanket!! BIG hug
trustinhart
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/8/2011, 1:38 pm

Got any snow, trustinhart? We got about an inch+ today. Stay warm! Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/8/2011, 2:09 pm

My daughter, just outside of Atlanta, Ga says they are expecting 5 - 7 inches of snow tomorrow, then it is changing to freezing rain lots o
I think I will stay here in rainy OR (the sun is shining today, but it is raining)
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 1/8/2011, 10:05 pm

We watered everything still growing under the freeze covers this afternoon (in the upper 50s to low 60s). It was glorious. Saw snap peas blooming! Very Happy I harvested broccoli raab (leaving some for side shoots), mizuna and pak choi leaves, mixed lettuce leaves, and snipped garlic leaves for salads.

We ate 3 alpine strawberries we found in our alpine strawberry fountain. They were our reward.
Hubby found 2 beautiful red hot peppers under the covers. Made him very happy. I also shot aphids. Used water sprayer. Don't know if I did any good, but gave me a sense of satisfaction. Twisted Evil

We then battened down the hatches. Over the next week, starting with tonight/tomorrow we are due for a progression of cold fronts here in Dallas area. Lows anywhere from 20-28 and highs no more than 38. Snowy mix and cold rain. Yuk! And the weather guys rarely get it right!

I started my spring plantings New Year's Day in my Aerogarden. They are sprouting beautifully. So Hope is alive if we take a bad hit with these storms.

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

It's FREEZING in the Lower South!  Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 1/9/2011, 6:23 pm

lovinlifew/3 wrote:Was this at Bennet's? I go over to Jacksonville frequently and would love to get a few bags on my way.

Welcome to the forum, Lovinlifew/3. Ward's having computer probs and also traveling, so you may not hear back from him for a while.

That's a great price for vermiculite. I hope you find some. We pay almost double that for it here.

Our temps reached 18 degrees last night. (Where are all our Aussie and New Zealand members who are supposed to be posting their photos of summer gardens now? Hawaii? Central America? Hello? Is anyone out there in Warmland?)
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/9/2011, 6:27 pm

funny post
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  lovinlifew/3 1/10/2011, 2:25 am

ander217 wrote:
lovinlifew/3 wrote:Was this at Bennet's? I go over to Jacksonville frequently and would love to get a few bags on my way.

Welcome to the forum, Lovinlifew/3. Ward's having computer probs and also traveling, so you may not hear back from him for a while.

That's a great price for vermiculite. I hope you find some. We pay almost double that for it here.

Our temps reached 18 degrees last night. (Where are all our Aussie and New Zealand members who are supposed to be posting their photos of summer gardens now? Hawaii? Central America? Hello? Is anyone out there in Warmland?)

Thanks for the reply ander217 and the warm welcome. I found the database on the forum for locating Vermiculite by area. Great resource because I was able to locate a garden supply shop closer to home that sells 4 cu. ft. course grade for $15.

lovinlifew/3

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 1/10/2011, 2:55 pm

About an inch or so of snow yesterday, through the night and a touch this am. Of course, not much of it stuck, but enough to moisten things nicely, especially since we started with rain, then snowed, then rained again, then snow again. Roads were great (not actually a joke) this am getting to work - best thing about living in TX, snow or ice rarely stays long enough to be a problem. But as I drove, there was obviously much more snow as I got further east and my tech that lives even further east got around 5.5 inches that stuck.

Tonight it's supposed to get down to 17'F! I've gotten cold-blooded since moving south and that sounds so extreme now. I just got back from visiting family in Nebraska, where it was MUCH colder, but it still sounds extreme when I get back home, go figure! Smile
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/10/2011, 7:57 pm

I feel your pain lower south!

It was 7 degrees when I woke up this morning our high was 21 and we are expecting 7-10 inches of snow tonight. I personally think it is too cold to snow...so I am betting we wake up and only face icy roads...we'll see who's right...the guy with the handsome face and a weather degree or me? LOL

We have only lived here since June of 09. ANd our first winter here was a dud...no snow.

This is our first REAL Idaho winter...and I am truly loving it. My kids get really embarrassed because when it snows I am eating it constantly like a little kid...LOL I just cannot get enough. I stand out in it mouth wide open catching flakes! Cannot help myself....and learning to drive in it has been such an adventure!!! Tee hee hee Very Happy

Jen

middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum