Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem Toplef10Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem I22gcj10Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem Toplef10Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem I22gcj10Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem

5 posters

Go down

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem Empty Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem

Post  ander217 11/20/2010, 7:50 am

I found this site online and it explains soil fertility and NPK usage very well. I was especially interested in the paragraph which discussed how vermiculite can adsorb or fix potassium to its edge or between its layers and slow the availability of potassium to the plant. However, if I understood correctly, that nonexchangeable K can maneuver itself around to become exchangeable K, but there are conditions which must be met and others which can hinder the process.

(After reading this article I wonder how plants manage to grow at all. It's an amazing process.)

http://soil.gsfc.nasa.gov/soilfert/npk.htm
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem Empty Re: Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem

Post  happyfrog 12/5/2010, 8:45 pm

wild!

kind of reminds me of activated charcoal and the adsorption it can do with both toxins and nutrients.

i would think that since the soil is so strongly amended with compost that the overall nutrient level is going to be much higher than the 'average' garden bed that it might be a moot point?

but perhaps somethikng to consider in future plantings and to generously amend with more compost than is 'officially' needed per square ('the whole one trowel thing). i know i always put in a huge scoopful from an old ricotta cheese or yogurt container so there's more than is recommended.

mel told me when he was at my house that it's always ok to add more compost. the danger comes in when not adding enough or any when replanting for next succession. . . because of nutrient loss from last crop. he remiinded me also that in the various other countries that don't have easy access to peat moss, vermiculite and the like that he advocates growing in straight compost.

thanks so much for sharing this article. made me put on my thinking cap and ponder this for a bit. Smile

would love to know more of your insights on this topic.
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem Empty Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem

Post  Charles 12/6/2010, 7:43 pm

Hi
Perhaps I can make one or two points on this intresting subject, with regard to 'NPK' fertilizers usage on soil.
OK, it is true that the three main elements are nitrogen, phosphorus and potash (potassium) are important in the context of a living soil. It is how these nutrients are delivered and become water-soluble that is important to the understanding of plant nutrition, not instance gratification for the plant by introducing NPK fertilizers, hence the saying 'Feed the soil, not the plant.' Feed the micro-organisms, the mycorrhizae and other soil life provide the right condition, and the nutrition of the plant will be taken care of automatically.
We (meaning plants, animals and ourselves) introduce organic waste - humus to the soil, which is essential to maintaing a good soil tilth -an open sponge like structure, which maintains good aeration and has the abiliy to hold large reserves of water. It contains plant food instore, for release by micro-organisms when needed by plants. Humus is the essential organic ingredient in soil, without which soil life would all but cease to exist.
A lot more can be said, but I hope this gives a little insight into a very complex cycle of life in the soil which in turn feed all the plants and feeds the world cheers.

Charles

Back to top Go down

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem Empty Re: Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem

Post  camprn 3/31/2012, 9:56 am

BUMP

To grow fabulous food in the Square Foot Garden, the growing mix (Mel's Mix) needs to be healthy and have the nutrients the plants need. This is the reason for the 5 types of compost. The more sources you get, the higher the probability of getting all the nutrients your plants need into the mix. Here is a good read about indicators that there may be a problem with the availability of nutrients to your garden plants.

Among other things, if you choose to make your Mel's Mix with less than 5 different types of compost you run a greater risk of seeing these things listed in the article.
Some signs that your plants may be in trouble

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Soil fertility and possible vermiculite problem WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/31/2012, 11:37 am

Thanks for that link... some very valuable information there Smile
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum