Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Toplef10How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 I22gcj10How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Toplef10How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 I22gcj10How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten

+17
Aub
dixie
bettyd_z7_va
Patty from Yorktown
Odd Duck
LaFee
duhh
elliephant
The Estate
CarolynPhillips
Icemaiden
Furbalsmom
acara
milaneyjane
Old Hippie
camprn
erbarnett
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Empty Re: How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten

Post  Aub 10/19/2010, 10:03 pm

I would be happy as an 8 but, sadly, I think I'm only a 3. (well, my garden is a 3!) My husband thought it would be a good place to put 3 dirt piles, a concrete pile, burn pile, wood pile, and weed pile. If I could get rid of all his Piles I would have so much more room for gardening. And it could be that 8 I would like it to be.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Empty Re: How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten

Post  Old Hippie 10/19/2010, 11:51 pm

Aub wrote:I would be happy as an 8 but, sadly, I think I'm only a 3. (well, my garden is a 3!) My husband thought it would be a good place to put 3 dirt piles, a concrete pile, burn pile, wood pile, and weed pile. If I could get rid of all his Piles I would have so much more room for gardening. And it could be that 8 I would like it to be.

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 656620

Oh my goodness, I know your husband's piles are not a laughing matter but I can't help myself.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I do know the frustration of trying to keep a nice yard or house when you don't get the co-operation you need from other members of the household. You know what they say....It is hard to soar like an eagle when you live with a bunch of turkeys.

Still laughing,

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Empty I think that's a "10"

Post  bettyd_z7_va 10/20/2010, 2:26 pm

Yep! That garden is a 10 to me.

Just send me a bucketful and that "10" Sweetie sitting beside it and I will be happy!

I have to share a quick 'Australia related' happy ending with you.

In the 80s an Australian fellow came to Virginia to be the plant manager at the brick company where my DH worked.

They got on like a house on fire. When he went home he gave DH his address so they could stay in touch.

DH promptly lost his address.

Fast forward all of these years.

Last week, after hearing again how much he wished he could locate his friend, my daughter posted a message on facebook to try to locate him. The only thing we had was his name and that he was from somewhere in Australia.

Yesterday he responded to her post! DH is soooo excited!

Small world, isn't it? I LOVE happy endings!

Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/6/2019, 6:19 pm

BUMP! This is an awesome old thread and important to me. My garden structure is a work of art, but my garden maintenance practices are abysmal. I always start out okay, but then summer hits like a sledge hammer and I run for the a/c. By the time cool weather comes back, so I can play outside again, the garden's an absolute disaster -- tomatoes falling all over themselves (and each other), Lima beans 20' up an oak tree, vine crops leaking into some of the pathways, large plants blocking other pathways, etc. I won't show what it looks like now, but here's what it was in 2016.

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Inside10
Well, Duh! I just discovered the biggest problem -- I had to bring in so much stuff, to keep it away from the deer, that there isn't any room for me anymore. I can barely move around in there at all, and it's ugly, besides -- all mis-matched pots, nothing level, narrow paths, stuff falling over, etc.

The good news is that I know just how to fix it. We'll fence in the beds in the redwood grove and put the big containers in there. I'll keep the Salad Bar as my display garden, to show off hubby's handiwork and my "pretty" plants. YEE-HAH! PROBLEM SOLVED! happy dance
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/6/2019, 7:13 pm

countrynaturals wrote:BUMP! This is an awesome old thread and important to me. My garden structure is a work of art, but my garden maintenance practices are abysmal.

Interesting.  My vegetable gardens are just the opposite. My garden structure is functional, rather than artistic - my focus is on high quality food, in sufficient quantity to preserve for the winter season - but, my garden maintenance practices meet a very high standard. When plants are done producing, they are cut off at soil level, chopped up, and put in the compost. Then the space is refreshed with finished compost, and new seeds or plants are put in to provide a succession harvest.  When fall arrives, the beds are cleaned, refreshed with finished compost, and winter cover crop seeds are planted.

The garden area is functional, but not artistic and kept neat.
How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Winter14

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4468

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/6/2019, 8:05 pm

I think your gardens are gorgeous, OG. Do you have help, or do you do it all yourself?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Empty It depends...

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/6/2019, 9:48 pm

So, like many of you, I have several versions of gardens.  My front garden is perennials with a couple areas of sunflowers or other annuals/containers.

My back yard/pool area is perennials with a butterfly area, and containers and grasses.  

My SFG is hard working and utilitarian in my back yard; and my South Annex is 8 big round containers where my melons and squashes go (hot—brick wall).  These typically start out orderly, but I allow them to spill over into the yard and vine, making for a bit of a shaggy look towards harvest-time.  

Overall, I’d say 5 to 7.  

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Bde14410
How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 72767410
How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 5ff8c910
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/6/2019, 9:51 pm

Here are my poolside and front beds:

How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 Bb6fd410
How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 5655c510
How Important is Attractiveness to Your Garden, on a scale of one to ten - Page 2 638a5c10
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/6/2019, 10:25 pm

Nice, Scorpio. Are those tubes on the ground really frog houses or do they serve some other purpose?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/6/2019, 10:35 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Nice, Scorpio. Are those tubes on the ground really frog houses or do they serve some other purpose?
They are decorative, old clay tiles that farmers around here used to use to drain their fields.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/7/2019, 7:22 am

countrynaturals wrote:I think your gardens are gorgeous, OG. Do you have help, or do you do it all yourself?

I do it all, CN.  Being an old retired guy, it allows me to at various times throughout the day. I really enjoy gardening, and always experimenting with new projects and tasks.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4468

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2019, 6:16 pm

Since my SFG takes up so much of the back yard, it is important. My maintenance is about a 4-8, depending on the weather and the season.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2