Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any other SFG in Europe Toplef10Any other SFG in Europe 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any other SFG in Europe I22gcj10Any other SFG in Europe 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any other SFG in Europe Toplef10Any other SFG in Europe 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any other SFG in Europe I22gcj10Any other SFG in Europe 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any other SFG in Europe

3 posters

Go down

Any other SFG in Europe Empty Any other SFG in Europe

Post  Mirjam 3/2/2010, 10:57 am

LaFee has made a post in a Topic or a Forum to which you are subscribed.

The message reads as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other SFG in Europe

Hi, mroos -- no, it's no problem that you speak Dutch on the forums -- I think that's the whole purpose of the forums!

I'm just outside of Paris, so have had a cold and snowy winter, just as you have had (not as bad as last year, happily!). I'm just getting ready to start some peppers and tomatoes indoors, so I have a head start if it ever gets warm enough!
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Any other SFG in Europe Empty Re: Any other SFG in Europe

mroos has made a post in a Topic or a Forum to which you are subscribed.

Any other SFG in Europe

Paris region is a lot further south than where I am (Assen, Netherlands), so you will be able to start gardening outside much sooner than I am. I think I will be starting tomatoes somewhere halfway march. Spring still seems far away here, I just tested the soil in my sfg - still frozen solid Sad I only have broccoli started (tiny little plants now), and today I've started purple cauliflower and spinach. Spinach could have been sown outside, if only my soil would have been loose....

Ive made a "sort of" tent with gardenfleece now, maybe that will help it warm up a little faster.

Anyway, let's hope the warmer weather will get here soon.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Ulrike has made a post in a Topic or a Forum to which you are subscribed.

Any other SFG in Europe

Bonjour, Lafee

Welcome to the SFG forum!! I opened the Dutch topic especially for the Dutch-speaking people, but we can talk to eachother in English/ French right here if you like.

It is awesome to have SFG-conversations all over the world!!

Yesterday my husband made me a SFG-box, so I am progressing towards a real SFG. Smile
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/2/2010, 10:58 am

Any other SFG in Europe

Hi, Ulrike -- thanks for the welcome. One of my best friends here is Dutch, but I'm afraid her language skills have not rubbed off on me at all!

Our ground is still frozen hard, and still a little snow in the shade, but I'm doodling on every spare piece of paper I can find -- planning my SFG as well as planning for my window boxes and flower beds.

I'm off work the next two weeks (I'm a teacher) so am planning to buy the materials for my SFG boxes and getting those built. I haven't decided yet whether to build one double-length box or two square boxes...probably depends on how long the lumber is I can fit into the car! Very Happy

Are your boxes in Holland 1m x 1m, or are they actually 4 feet square? I'm still working on how I'll accomplish that challenge...time to go to the DIY store.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/2/2010, 11:08 am

Ulrike has made a post in a Topic or a Forum to which you are subscribed.

Any other SFG in Europe

I saw the link to the bento-boxes on your weblog. it´s funny, because I love them too...I think a lot of people don´t know about Bento.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/2/2010, 11:09 am

Any other SFG in Europe

Good catch on the baskets, mroos! Bright and cheery...and cheap! I'll have to have a look round here for something similar - I wasn't going to have potatoes, but that might make me change my mind. Fresh potatoes just can't be beat. There's plenty of farms around here, but potatoes and corn are best right out of the garden.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/2/2010, 11:09 am

LaFee Wrote:
I thought of you this weekend - - I was in Winterberg (DE) visiting friends, and I think half the population of Holland was there to ski. Lots of snow there, but the rain on Monday will have it gone in a few more days. We had 11 today -- hurray! Still frost, but as soon as it stops raining, my boots and gloves are coming out. Bought my potatoes the other day (Charlottes for me for my first try with potatoes), and I see the garden centers are now selling your nice baskets here -- so I think I will have 3 or 4 for some sunny spots. I also found the borders I want -- they're made with rounds of wood, and have stakes already attached -- AND are 1,2m! They're also 120mm tall, so a little deeper than standard, which is good. So I don't have to do any cutting, measuring, painting, or anything -- I will pound them into the ground and have my instant SFG. (and they're only 3,56 each...even better!) So this weekend and early next week will see my assistant and I starting our work. That, plus pruning the roses, and cleaning out the old beds....yike. But the bulbs are now sticking their heads above the ground to watch all the fun...so I'll have narcisse and tulips soon.

Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/2/2010, 11:10 am

Ulrike Wrote:
I just finished my Square-foot-garden-box...and today I found out that next week a Square-meter-garden is on sale in some garden-shops. I did not even know these ready-made Square-meter-gardens existed! (As a matter of fact they are rather new,..in the shop since two months now.)

Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Any other SFG in Europe Empty new forum-old posts

Post  Mirjam 3/2/2010, 11:17 am

Hi all,

I've re-posted all the posts I still had but some seem to be missing...most of the conversation is here again anyway.

@Lafee: did the heavy rains and storms of last weekend bother you in your region? I saw footage on the news of -I think- high waters in Paris, and immediately thought of you and your garden... just imagine you've just constructed it and filled it up, and than the water comes and washes it all away....

Not to mention the more serious damage ofcourse...

Last edited by Mirjam on 3/3/2010, 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Any other SFG in Europe Empty Storm Xynthia

Post  LaFee 3/3/2010, 6:09 am

Hi, Mirjam - welcome!

Happily, there were only broken branches and signs blown over here -- but I feel so badly for the folks on the post. We stayed indoors Sunday, just so we wouldn't be hit by something falling off of a roof or something (and all the tiles appear to be where they are supposed to be!)

How did the Netherlands fare? I heard it was supposed to be worse to the north of us, and am hoping they were wrong!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/3/2010, 7:18 am

We had some pretty strong wind, and a lot of rain, but the only real problems were in the utter south, in Limburg. But as far as I've heard, it was nothing compared to the damage in France. I believe it was worse in Belgium...
Anyway, now that we all survived the storm, I'm happy to see a little sun this week. If it stays dry, I'll be cleaning up around the garden this afternoon... still a lot of leaves etc. to be cleaned up...I shoud turn the compost pile too, but I'll be perfectly happy if I can postpone that for some more time Smile
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/3/2010, 7:26 am

Most of the damage was in the south and west -- and sad, sad stories from there. Glad to hear you all came through without damage.

I worked some on Monday afternoon, and am just getting ready to head out today. About 10 here today, but a sunny beautiful day.

Lots of pruning and digging to do...but better than sitting indoors!

By the way -- for those of you in Holland, if you want to only post on one forum -- with the help of Google Translator, I can read your posts in Dutch...I can reply in English, or I can translate my responses into Dutch with the translator...as long as you all don't mind if a posts appears that I have put fish in my shoes..... Any other SFG in Europe Icon_razz
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/3/2010, 10:52 am

It's not a problem typing in english, Holland is such a small country that we're all used to speaking other languages... the spelling and/or grammar will not always be correct, but I think it's still better than with the translation programs...
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/13/2010, 12:18 pm

I've circled today on the calendar -- today I started jalapeno peppers, bell peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, pumpkin, basil, and two kinds of flowers today (the flowers aren't for my SFG; they're for the beds and boxes)...So now it MUST warm up, because I'll have to plant them!

I'm hoping Wednesday to get my boxes built and filled, so I can plant early lettuce, carrots, and radishes.

Do I need to cover the early crops with fleece (I assume yes) -- We're still getting hard frosts at night.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/13/2010, 1:42 pm

Hi Lafee,
I've also been working hard in the garden today, started different varieties of carrots, radishes, parsnips, shizo (a herb) and saltwort outside. The weather is still quite cold, so I too have covered everything with fleece, it won't hurt them, so I think you can't go wrong with that. I really hope the warmer wheather will be coming.... but according to the forecasts here, we won't be seeing any sun until thursday...clouds clouds clouds... I'm so bored with the grey wheather!
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Any other SFG in Europe Empty Vermiculite In Bordeaux area in France

Post  al b 4/4/2010, 5:03 am

Hello to all European Square Foot Gardeners! I am an American who's just moved to a small village in southwest France. I am in the Bordeaux, Lesparre, Pauillac area. I have my boxes built, a source for Peat Moss and lots of good homemade compost, but I can't find a supplier in the local area for vermiculite. I have found on-line a place called Raja at www.raja.fr which sells 100L bags for about 25 euros per bag. I cannot tell what grade it is or if it's pure vermiculite and not mixed with concrete etc. It's labeled "Vermiculite Vermex M". Does anyone know of a source that will ship or close to me that supplies the correct grade of vermiculite? I am ready to plant as soon as I get it! Thank you, al b
al b

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/4/2010, 5:25 am

Hi, Al -- I'm up here in the Seine-et-Marne.

I've found 100L bags of vermiculite at Leroy Merlin for 10,95 -- look in the insulation department, and you're likely to find it.

I'm pretty sure that if Leroy Merlin carry it, Bricomarche, Bricoman, M. Bricolage, Point P, Castorama, etc., etc., will carry, it, too.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Any other SFG in Europe Empty Vermiculite In Bordeaux area in France

Post  al b 4/5/2010, 5:18 am

La Fee, this is the post that did it! You did answer me- I found what I need at Castorama in Bordeaux. I get it tomorrow. Thank you very much. The only other source I found that I can access was Raja - on-line and delivered, but it costs 24 euros a bag and Castorama has the same stuff for 12,05. So, thanks loads and I will keep you posted on how I do!

al b
al b

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down