Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
September gardening....la rentree arrive! Toplef10September gardening....la rentree arrive! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

September gardening....la rentree arrive! I22gcj10September gardening....la rentree arrive! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
September gardening....la rentree arrive! Toplef10September gardening....la rentree arrive! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

September gardening....la rentree arrive! I22gcj10September gardening....la rentree arrive! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

September gardening....la rentree arrive!

3 posters

Go down

September gardening....la rentree arrive! Empty September gardening....la rentree arrive!

Post  LaFee 9/2/2010, 4:55 am

Hi all, and welcome to September. Doesn't seem like it could be this late already, but it is....

Now that we're all back from vacation (which is why there was no August update...I was gone, too!) -- the kids are back in school...we can turn our attention back to our neglected gardens.

What's growing well for you? I have MOUNTAINS of tomatoes -- my Moneymaker seeds bought at Lidl have outdone themselves, and I'm happily waffling between salad caprese, Greek salad, or just tomatoes. The vines are well over 2m tall, and bigger around than my thumbs. Chuffed to bits with this variety...and a friend just sent me some oxheart seeds for next year (I think they're the same thing as coeur de boeuf, but I'm not sure). Need to find some of the yummy cherry varieties for next year, too.

My peppers are just blooming now, so I might get some salsa from the jalapenos yet.

My broccoli went to seed, as there was no one here to harvest it, but it looks like it did well.

I have teeny little ears of corn forming, and a lovely pumpkin...lesson learned is to start that one in the ground, otherwise I have gorgeous pumpkins in September, and not a one in October when I want it.

Still a few string beans, and a lettuce or two that have hung tough through the summer. Cukes, watermelon, and Charente melon are there, but definitely not growing any...dunno what to do about that...

What's on your planning list for fall? I found a cold frame for cheap this summer, so I'll be trying kale (same friend sent me some seeds for an Italian kale that she adores), cauliflower, another round of broccoli, mache, some cold-weather lettuce, and parsnips...I'll likely add to that later, but that's the list for now.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

September gardening....la rentree arrive! Empty Re: September gardening....la rentree arrive!

Post  Icemaiden 9/2/2010, 8:44 am

Hi!

We've eaten nearly all the carrots, and a few parsnips (though that was infantacide). My broccoli/calibrese is still putting out small flower heads so I'm certainly planting Calibroc next year.

I have no plans to plant anything until the spring, other than the strawberry plants which I have allowed to make runners to increase my plants. I've made coldframe-type lids to put over them so they should be fine.

This was my first year SFG and I am happy with the results. I plan on two more boxes next year and a bit of tweaking about what/where I plant things.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

September gardening....la rentree arrive! Empty Re: September gardening....la rentree arrive!

Post  LaFee 9/2/2010, 8:46 am

Thanks for reminding me, Icemaiden...I forgot to mention that along with weeding after my absence, I have to build and fill a 2nd box (4 x 8, or 1,2m x 2,4m) this fall, too.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 9/2/2010, 10:24 am

And I just looked at the Canadian update and remembered that I want to buy some garlic from the health food shop and try it in the spare squares next to the strawberries :-) I've tried it in the garden before with no result at all but perhaps under a plastic lid it will be happier?
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

September gardening....la rentree arrive! Empty long time no see

Post  Mirjam 9/15/2010, 3:13 am

Hi,
I thought it was about time I'd drop in again, it's taken me some time to get started into the new schoolyear, but I think now I'm back on track. Over here in Holland the weather has been terrible; we've had so much rain, and temperatures more suiting for november than for the end of summer... so I haven't been out in the garden very much.
I'm harvesting some tomatoes now and then, but my plants haven't been doing well this year. I think in a week or so they'll be done, and I can pull the plants out.

The slug-population has gotten completely out of hand, with this type of weather (as have the weeds, by the way, but not in the SFG! Laughing ) I've stopped sowing lettuce and sorts, because they get eaten faster than I can put 'em in.

For fall crops I had some brussel sprouts, cauliflowers and kale planted, kale has disappeared completely (like it had never even been there), but the others are still growing, so I keep my fingers crossed. The sugar snaps I planted in summer are starting to produce. They're a lot smaller than in spring, but they too have suffered from the slugs while we were away. They're just as sweet and crunchy though, a real treat.

I'm gonna have one (yes one!) squash as the complete harvest of 9 or 10 plants (I had zucchini, kuri, butternut and patisson planted, but snails ate all of the flowers). It's growing on a butternut-vine, but I think it has been crosspollinated with a zuchini, because it has the shape of a butternut, but it's green striped like a zuchini. It'll be a surprise what it tastes like, I guess.

Still growing are chard, parsnips, soybeans, eggplant/aubergine (which is doing great, there are 9 riping on that one plant! It turns out slugs and snails don't like eggplant, so I might plant more next year...pity I'm the only one in my family who likes 'em). Also some string onions which I forgot, so now they've grown bulbs anyway (even better) and some carrots. I'm pretty sure I put new turnip and radish seeds in, but I guess the snails got those too.

Oh, and I harvested some purple potatoes, they taste great, but didn't produce much. I'll try again next year, hopefully winter won't last as long as last year so I can start earlier.

Anyway, so far for my garden update. I expected to have more of a real end-of-summer-harvest, but hey, you can't have it all... we had so much in spring, so I'm still happy with the results of my first year of SFG. And I've learned a lot too, so maybe next year I will do better. I think I'm gonna clear out most of the squares soon, mix in a lot of fresh compost, and call it a season.

I have a little cold frame, in which I may try to grow some wintery stuff (mache seems to grow all season), and maybe I'll build some sort of A-frame-like construction on top of my biggest SFG, to stop the rain from washing out all the nutrients during winter (and to be able to start early next year). But I'll just see about that, planning is easy Very Happy

Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

September gardening....la rentree arrive! Empty garlic

Post  Mirjam 9/15/2010, 3:19 am

@Icemaiden:
Garlic doesnt grow when the soil is too wet, so growing it under a plastic cover could help with that. It does really need a cold period too, but I guess in Iceland it will still freeze even under a cover... Or you can remove it when most of the wet season is over.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 9/15/2010, 5:11 am

Thanks for that advice Mirjam. I was talking to someone on the weekend and she said that when she tried garlic all she got was one large clove for each clove planted. I wonder if it just doesn't divide into new cloves in some conditions?
Oh well, the box will be partly empty and it is not as though a bulb of garlic will cost much!
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down