Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Houston Toplef10Hello from Houston 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Houston I22gcj10Hello from Houston 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Houston Toplef10Hello from Houston 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Houston I22gcj10Hello from Houston 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Houston

5 posters

Go down

Hello from Houston Empty Hello from Houston

Post  reptilegrrl 8/22/2010, 4:48 am

Hello all, I am new to these forums. I am located in Houston, Texas, where I am lucky enough to garden year-round. I started SFG-ing in 2005, with a 4x4 bed. Next month I'll be moving to a new place where I plan to set aside 200 square feet for SFG! Basically one whole edge of the lot, we're just making a bed that's 2 feet wide and 100 feet long. We may add more later, but that will be a good start, I think.

I look forward to interacting with all of you in the future. I love SFG, it made gardening so effortless for me. I hope that we can grow the majority of our own produce in the new place.

My interests include slow food, urban agriculture, beekeeping, and cooking. I also love eating "wild food" as well as growing edible weeds for my pet turtles.

Last edited by reptilegrrl on 8/22/2010, 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more information)
reptilegrrl

Back to top Go down

Hello from Houston Empty Re: Hello from Houston

Post  Megan 8/22/2010, 7:11 am

Welcome, reptilegrrl! glad you\'re here

Good luck with your move. The new place sounds fantastic. What are you planning on planting in those 200 square feet?
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 8/22/2010, 8:15 am

reptilegrrl wrote:Hello all, I am new to these forums. I am located in Houston, Texas, where I am lucky enough to garden year-round. I started SFG-ing in 2005, with a 4x4 bed. Next month I'll be moving to a new place where I plan to set aside 200 square feet for SFG! Basically one whole edge of the lot, we're just making a bed that's 2 feet wide and 100 feet long. We may add more later, but that will be a good start, I think.

I look forward to interacting with all of you in the future. I love SFG, it made gardening so effortless for me. I hope that we can grow the majority of our own produce in the new place.

My interests include slow food, urban agriculture, beekeeping, and cooking. I also love eating "wild food" as well as growing edible weeds for my pet turtles.

Welcome:

Glad to have an experienced SFGer on board. If you can help other folks by answering their questions please do so and if we can help you please ask.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  reptilegrrl 8/22/2010, 8:19 am

Hi Megan! I am hoping the new place is nice... the yard is actually MUCH smaller than I would like, but we are going to put it to as good use as we can. Since the back yard is fenced and has a long driveway, we're just going to use the entire strip between the driveway and the fence as SFG. I expect I will garden in other parts of the yard too, though.

Since we're coming into winter I expect to plant a lot of leafy greens this fall. I love leafy greens and they are for the most part a winter crop here. Swiss chard can take our summer heat, but nothing else really can. I include parsley and cilantro as leafy greens, by the way: parsley is an excellent bitter green, great for including with any other cooking green. Also crops such as broccoli, carrots, etc... all crops which do well in sunshine but not too much heat. I have tried snap peas in winter before without much success, but will try them again, and maybe also some green beans. I've found that if I plant a LARGE plot of leafy greens, I can take a few leaves off of each plant at harvest and end up with a big bunch for cooking... they cook down much smaller in volume.

Thank you for the welcome, Ward & Mary. I consider myself to be always learning, but I am always glad to help out whenever I can Smile
reptilegrrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 8/22/2010, 10:16 am

Nice to have you join us!!! This is a great place to hang out. People are friendly and helpful. This site is ALMOST as addictive as SFG!

With a name like Reptile Girl, I am assuming you have some as pets. You mentioned turtles. Do you have any others?

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 8/22/2010, 8:32 pm

Nice to have you here with us, if you don't mind me asking what is slow food?
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  reptilegrrl 8/24/2010, 4:44 am

Old Hippie: Currently, my only reptile pets are two turtles. One is a red-eared slider, the other an Ornate Box Turtle. I had a Colombian Boa Constrictor for 13 years, but she died suddenly in late 2008. I have over the years had various other lizards and turtles, as I did a lot of reptile rescue when I was younger. Now I am looking to add at least one more box turtle to the mix. My OBT would like one gentleman or two ladies to keep him company. I'd prefer a male so I don't have to deal with eggs.

I do love reptiles, though, they are lovely and often mistreated creatures. My turtles are wonderful friends to me.

My other pets are two cats, four degus, and a bunch of pond fish. I'm an animal lover and throughout my life have had pets- horses, cows, goats, a monkey, rodents of various sorts, and yes, reptiles.

Garden Angel: I don't mind you asking at all! Slow Food is a movement aimed at combating fast food and the accompanying "fast life", at maintaining local food traditions, and at making people aware of how our food choices affect us and the world. You can learn more about it at http://www.slowfood.com/ (the international site) or http://www.slowfoodusa.org/ (the US site.)
reptilegrrl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum